Michelle Kwan's on the mend

Michelle Kwan's on the mend

There are 52 comments on the The Charlotte Observer story from May 11, 2006, titled Michelle Kwan's on the mend. In it, The Charlotte Observer reports that:

Ice skater Michelle Kwan, winner of nine national titles, five world titles and Olympic silver and bronze medals, will appear in Charlotte on Saturday at the Bobcats Arena with the John Hancock Champions on Ice ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Charlotte Observer.

montana

United States

#22 Dec 31, 2006
Kwan wins controversial title at Skate America

Crowd hisses as Hughes denied victory — again

By Jenifer K. Nii
Deseret News sports writer

COLORADO SPRINGS — There were two big questions swirling around this week at the Skate America figure skating competition: Can Michelle Kwan win big events without her longtime coach by her side, and will Sasha Cohen land the quad?
The answer to both of those questions, at least here at the World Arena Saturday night, is sort of.
Michelle Kwan won her sixth Skate America title, eeking past fellow American Sarah Hughes in a highly controversial decision by the seven-member panel of judges. Despite having a technically inferior program and two major errors, Kwan won first place nods from five of the seven judges.
Kwan singled a double Axel jump and landed only five clean triples, in comparison to Hughes' six. Hughes also landed the most difficult jump combination, a huge triple Salchow-triple loop.
With a rumbling standing ovation and hisses over low scores, spectators overwhelmingly cast their vote for Hughes — undoubtedly a curious moment for the much-beloved Kwan.
"I knew that she must have done a clean performance," said Kwan, about the audience's reaction. "I mean, for me personally, I don't feel like this was a victory. I wasn't real ecstatic after the short program. I made mistakes."
Still, Kwan said she was proud of her performance.
"I've had such a crazy couple of months," she said. "I'm glad I was able to stand up tall and skate through it with power ... It was a decent skate."
Hughes has bumped up against questionable judging with increasing frequency in her match-ups with Kwan over the last year, but declined to challenge the panel's decision Saturday.
"I'm not a judge, and I didn't see anybody else skate," she said. "I'm very happy with what I did. It's just good to get one out there. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you don't. It's a subjective sport."
Hughes and Kwan will go head-to-head again next week at Skate Canada, the second in the International Skating Union's Grand Prix Series. The two will also face two-time world silver medalist Irina Slutskaya.
There is actually more to this article but it doesn't involve Michelle or Sarah..if you want to read it just go to google and type in skate america 2002 crowd hisses...PLEASE NOTE CROWD HISSES...
montana

United States

#23 Dec 31, 2006
Sk8r Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL CIRCUMSTANCIAL
IF HUGHES FELT CONFIDENT ABOUT HER PERFORMANCE SHE WOULD HAVE FOUGHT.
DON'T GET ME WRONG, I LIKE THE HUGHES INCLUDING ALL OF THE OTHER SKATERS. I USE THEM ALL AS INSPIRATIONS FOR MY SKATING.
THIS IS ONLY THIS WRITER'S POINT OF VIEW; OBVIOUSLY, NOT THE JUDGES!
'This supports my belief and that of others that KWAN was held up by the judges many many times..her last and record tying National Title is a case in point...check it out....the judges are biased and the audience knew it"...Sarah showed the world at the OLYMPICS anyway when the judging was more carefully scrutinized...I am really glad for the new scoring system...all of Kwan's 6s are something she can flaunt as can her legions of fans but they really don't mean anything..again..check out some of the videos on Youtube and see Kwan's 'presentation scores..even when she stumbled, fell, awkwardly completed the moves she got 5.9s...pretty much a given gold..
montana

United States

#24 Dec 31, 2006

By Jenifer K. Nii

COLORADO SPRINGS — There were two big questions swirling around this week at the Skate America figure skating competition: Can Michelle Kwan win big events without her longtime coach by her side, and will Sasha Cohen land the quad?
The answer to both of those questions, at least here at the World Arena Saturday night, is sort of.
Michelle Kwan won her sixth Skate America title, eeking past fellow American Sarah Hughes in a highly controversial decision by the seven-member panel of judges. Despite having a technically inferior program and two major errors, Kwan won first place nods from five of the seven judges.
Kwan singled a double Axel jump and landed only five clean triples, in comparison to Hughes' six. Hughes also landed the most difficult jump combination, a huge triple Salchow-triple loop.
With a rumbling standing ovation and hisses over low scores, spectators overwhelmingly cast their vote for Hughes — undoubtedly a curious moment for the much-beloved Kwan.
"I knew that she must have done a clean performance," said Kwan, about the audience's reaction. "I mean, for me personally, I don't feel like this was a victory. I wasn't real ecstatic after the short program. I made mistakes."
"I've had such a crazy couple of months," she said. "I'm glad I was able to stand up tall and skate through it with power ... It was a decent skate."
Hughes has bumped up against questionable judging with increasing frequency in her match-ups with Kwan over the last year, but declined to challenge the panel's decision Saturday.
"I'm not a judge, and I didn't see anybody else skate," she said. "I'm very happy with what I did. It's just good to get one out there. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you don't. It's a subjective sport."
Hughes and Kwan will go head-to-head again next week at Skate Canada, the second in the International Skating Union's Grand Prix Series. The two will also face two-time world silver medalist Irina Slutskaya.
montana

United States

#25 Dec 31, 2006

By Jenifer K. Nii

Should have said received 6s many many many times when she needed them to make up for her lack of athleticism....ridiculous if you watch the performances but hey...whatever..

There is actually more to this article but doesn't really talk too much about Kwan and Hughes..you can pull it up on google if you want to read the whole thing...
montana

United States

#26 Dec 31, 2006
montana wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct you are but please note the reaction of the audience..and this isn't the full article...I don't think that it is fair to Sarah to say that she would have fought...that to me would have been pointless and a hollow victory...I will put the whole article in..
Well, this absolutely supports my view and that of may other that the JUDGES held Kwan up...she got 5.9s and 6.0s for 'presentation' when she stumbed around the ice...fell, missed jumps, missed timing..check out the 'record tying 9th NATIONAL TITLE...what a crock..thank God for the new judging system...KWAN can hold up 9 fingers...pump her arms and remind people of the fact that she has more perfect 6s than any other skater in history...go figure..she had help from her 'friends' and stuck around to win the the 'Gold'..hang around long enough and you collect lots of things...
montana

United States

#27 Dec 31, 2006
I think it's time for me to stop posting for the day..I just answered one of my own...but I agree with myself:)
Sk8r Girl

Bronx, NY

#28 Dec 31, 2006
montana wrote:
<quoted text>
'This supports my belief and that of others that KWAN was held up by the judges many many times..her last and record tying National Title is a case in point...check it out....the judges are biased and the audience knew it"...Sarah showed the world at the OLYMPICS anyway when the judging was more carefully scrutinized...I am really glad for the new scoring system...all of Kwan's 6s are something she can flaunt as can her legions of fans but they really don't mean anything..again..check out some of the videos on Youtube and see Kwan's 'presentation scores..even when she stumbled, fell, awkwardly completed the moves she got 5.9s...pretty much a given gold..
SO YOU SAY
montana

United States

#29 Jan 14, 2007
anon wrote:
Tara and Sara - one hit wonders - Michelle Reigns SUPREME! One exceptional (in the eyes of SOME) does not an OLYMPIC champion make - regardless of what the judges deemed 'best' on that given night. Head to head Sara, Tara or Sasha are just no match for Michelle unless they're way over being on top of their game and if Michelle's having a bad night (which can happen to any skater) other than that Michelle wins - hands down - she has what really counts - LOVE of the sport and she's a true CHAMP! regardless of whatever color Olympic medal she took home.
One exceptional (in the eyes of SOME) does not an OLYMPIC champion make ....SURE DOESN'T HURT DOES IT...Gee, and here are all these winners of Olympic Gold deluded into thinking that their performance at the Olympics was the one that counted...here they are thinking that they are Olympic Champions. Kwan is not an Olympic Champion..she doesn't have Olympic Gold...thank God for people like you to reassure her that it doesn't matter...too bad you weren't able to kiss her boos boos and reassure her that she is golden BEFORE she stole Emily's dream and made a mockery of the true Olympic spirit not to mention true sportsmanship.

“All MEN ARE VINCIBLE!!!!!!!! !!”

Since: Jan 07

SomeWhere in Georgia

#30 Feb 2, 2007
Barbara Woolhouse wrote:
Michelle Kwan may not be perfect, but that doesn't seem to matter to the general public over all. She has continued to compete for herself, and her dream of that gold medal for sure, but lets give a little credit to her for continuing to bring us the many medals, and honors that Tara Linsli and Sarah Hughes did not. They took their medals and hit the exit door, and as I remember neither of them ever lasted very long in the pros. either. I think that is called l5 min. of fame as compared to longevity.
Well, you hit it right the nail.
montana

United States

#31 Feb 3, 2007
Sk8r Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
SO YOU SAY
Yep, and I'll say it again..she has many undeserved titles and medals..read the columns of the experts..she's an arrogant phony and her last National title was a lock..period..ridiculous performance and ridiculous scores..and it was hilarious to hear people actually say that Sasha won because Kwan wasn't there..in terms of judging probably..Sasha doesn't have the judges scoring her beforehand...and her title is legitimate but has nothing to do with having not to compete with Kwan on the ice...and even this year some people were saying that if Kwan were competing she would have won her 10th title..man, I saw some skating that Kwan couldn't do in her dreams..no wonder she has been around so long..she never exerted herself and just counted on her hype...didn't work at the Olympics, though.

SomeWhere in Georgia

#32 Feb 3, 2007
Well, you hit it right ON the nail. Do I stalk anyone/ No! i just stated something posotive about KWAN, and you know, what will happen, when one do taht.
Barbara Woolhouse wrote:
Michelle Kwan may not be perfect, but that doesn't seem to matter to the general public over all. She has continued to compete for herself, and her dream of that gold medal for sure, but lets give a little credit to her for continuing to bring us the many medals, and honors that Tara Linsli and Sarah Hughes did not. They took their medals and hit the exit door, and as I remember neither of them ever lasted very long in the pros. either. I think that is called l5 min. of fame as compared to longevity.

SomeWhere in Georgia

#33 Feb 3, 2007
Well, you hit it right ON the nail. KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST! KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!KWAN IS THE BEST!
Kevin

Oakland, CA

#34 Feb 4, 2007
I do think it is true that a lot of time, Kwan wins although she didn't deserve to win. However, I do think she has a lot better chance to win at Torino than Hughes. The guideline for US Olympic committee is that pick the ones that will bring medals home. Hughes had no chance but they knew that by bringing Kwan, she has a chance of medalling. Hence they sent her. May not be the most fair rule but rule is rules. The rule was made long before Michelle came into the picture. That's what civilized country do. They make rules and people follow them. I think I read somewhere that Michelle had more points than Emily in terms of competition that year or something. Therefore Michelle should rightfully go. That's just an excuse of making it look more fair to bring Michelle. The bottom line is everyone knows Emily isn't bringing anything home and Michelle has a pretty good possibility to do so.
As for Tara's win, I do think it's unfair to Michelle because in my eyes, Michelle was better artistically that night. Of course this is subjective. But then again, figure skating is a subjective sports period. Tara, no doubt, had a more technically difficult program. But artistically, Michelle was better hence Michelle should have won. Sara, on the other hand, fully deserves her gold. There is no doubt in my mind that any other way would not have been fair. The new judging system is I guess as fair as it can be but frankly there is still lots of leadways for the component score section. But since this is a subjective sports, it probably is the best system out there until they figure something even more fair.
Some people questions whether or not figure skating is really a 'sports'. I prefer to call it art with a dash of sports instead. If one truely wants to make figure skating sports, then they should just make these skaters do triples or quads within a set period of time. The one who did the most triples and quad should win. Now that would be super boring but at the same time, take out any subjectiveness out of figure skating.
As for who will have the long lasting legacy. Michelle will win hands down. There is something to be said about a career spanding more than a decade. I bet 30 years from now when I go up to a person who doesn't watch figure skating and ask her/him do they know who tara lipinski is and I will probably get a who? But this person will likely heard of Michelle Kwan. The bottom line is who's going to be more famous down the line in figure skating history and I would bet my dollar on Michelle.
montana

United States

#35 Feb 11, 2007
Kevin wrote:
I do think it is true that a lot of time, Kwan wins although she didn't deserve to win. However, I do think she has a lot better chance to win at Torino than Hughes. The guideline for US Olympic committee is that pick the ones that will bring medals home. Hughes had no chance but they knew that by bringing Kwan, she has a chance of medalling. Hence they sent her. May not be the most fair rule but rule is rules. The rule was made long before Michelle came into the picture. That's what civilized country do. They make rules and people follow them. I think I read somewhere that Michelle had more points than Emily in terms of competition that year or something. Therefore Michelle should rightfully go. That's just an excuse of making it look more fair to bring Michelle. The bottom line is everyone knows Emily isn't bringing anything home and Michelle has a pretty good possibility to do so.
As for Tara's win, I do think it's unfair to Michelle because in my eyes, Michelle was better artistically that night. Of course this is subjective. But then again, figure skating is a subjective sports period. Tara, no doubt, had a more technically difficult program. But artistically, Michelle was better hence Michelle should have won. Sara, on the other hand, fully deserves her gold. There is no doubt in my mind that any other way would not have been fair. The new judging system is I guess as fair as it can be but frankly there is still lots of leadways for the component score section. But since this is a subjective sports, it probably is the best system out there until they figure something even more fair.
Some people questions whether or not figure skating is really a 'sports'. I prefer to call it art with a dash of sports instead. If one truely wants to make figure skating sports, then they should just make these skaters do triples or quads within a set period of time. The one who did the most triples and quad should win. Now that would be super boring but at the same time, take out any subjectiveness out of figure skating.
As for who will have the long lasting legacy. Michelle will win hands down. There is something to be said about a career spanding more than a decade. I bet 30 years from now when I go up to a person who doesn't watch figure skating and ask her/him do they know who tara lipinski is and I will probably get a who? But this person will likely heard of Michelle Kwan. The bottom line is who's going to be more famous down the line in figure skating history and I would bet my dollar on Michelle.
Yep, right up there with Tanya Harding!
montana

United States

#36 Feb 11, 2007
Kevin wrote:
However, I must say that it is cool to hear a Kwan fan acually admit that she DOES have unearned titles and has been held up by the judges..perhaps, just perhaps, had they not held her up she would have had to improve her skills before it was too late and as far as Nagano goes Tara ruled and should have won the short program as well. I'm sure that that debate will rage on forever but the Olympic judges sent Kwan a very strong message..move on with the sport or move on period. What a pathetic way to end a career(TORINO) and she WILL for sure be remembered, all right. I honestly don't know how she can hold her head up, accept all the accolades, and have no shame whatsoever. What Tanya and gang did with a club, Kwan did with a pen!
Kevin

United States

#37 Feb 21, 2007
what pen? I don't get that? I don't think Tara ruled. She should have came in second. I doubt people will forever remember that Michelle ended her career in Torino. They'll remember that she's one of the finest skater out there with a super long career unlike one hit wonder (ie Tara). Just look at what Olympic champs such as Dick Button says about Michelle. He's two time Olympic champ and he's putting Michelle up there with him. You don't hear him talking about Tara or Sarah anymore do you? Tara will forever remembered as one hit wonder where as Michelle will be forever remembered as a long lasting Champion. That's the difference.
montana

United States

#38 Feb 22, 2007
Kevin wrote:
what pen? I don't get that? I don't think Tara ruled. She should have came in second. I doubt people will forever remember that Michelle ended her career in Torino. They'll remember that she's one of the finest skater out there with a super long career unlike one hit wonder (ie Tara). Just look at what Olympic champs such as Dick Button says about Michelle. He's two time Olympic champ and he's putting Michelle up there with him. You don't hear him talking about Tara or Sarah anymore do you? Tara will forever remembered as one hit wonder where as Michelle will be forever remembered as a long lasting Champion. That's the difference.
Well, I stand by my opinion as to how Michelle will be remembered..she was always overrated and people gushed over her and swooned..why, who knows..maybe that silly grin...maybe just the fact that she hung around for so long..Tara most assuredly did win the Gold in Nagano..6 judges to 3 and should have taken the short...even at her best all Kwan did was count on her big grin, easy style, and 'exquisite spiral'..when the new rules came into effect she was unable to compete.
As far as the comment about the pen..what I meant was that Michelle is of the same caliber as Tonya Harding...Tonya was so afraid of her competition and desperate to win she either allowed or caused Nancy Kerrigan (who really DID deserve a medical bye) to be injured and out of the running. Kwan took a pen, wrote a petition and very effectively trashed Emily's 1st Olympic experience. However, Kwan used a rule (and from what I read it was bent really really bent) to allow legitimate exceptions to competing for a spot in the Olympics and used it for her own selfish goals. You saw how it turned out. Kwan made a mockery of her beloved sport, figure skating in general, and most of all the Olympic creed. She will be remembered as a pathetic washed up has been (and wasn't all that great anyway) who stole someone else's dream..oh, she gave it back but by that time the Olympics were all about poor Michelle, the pitiable crybaby who never won the Gold. Pen, club...same results and same motives. Read some articles written by experts on the sport and opinions of other people. You are one of the most reasonable Kwanatics I have ever heard from..most Kwanatics are loud and defend their KWEEN at all costs. I certainly disagree with you but respect your opinion and they way you express it.
Chopin

Medina, TN

#39 Jun 11, 2007
Wow... Media Critic and Montana are sooooooooo deluded. It's really funny.

SomeWhere in Georgia

#40 Jun 11, 2007
Chopin wrote:
Wow... Media Critic and Montana are sooooooooo deluded. It's really funny.
Not, Media Critic...the latter you mentioned is supreme of the deluded!!!!!!! With Kwan's accomplishments...some go bananas!!!!! HEH HEH HEH!!!!!!(...get it!!!

Since: Feb 07

Brentwood, TN

#41 Aug 8, 2007
I know this is an old topic, but I am totally shocked to read all this Kwan bashing!! Michelle Kwan is a phenomenon who has become "a legend in her own time." She has accomplished more than any other figure skater in present history. Not having an Olympic gold medal is not the end of the world. Kurt Browning, 4 time World Champion, does not have one. Look what he has contributed to the sport. All Paul Wylie has is one Olympic silver medal. He could never pull it off, but Olympics 1992 was his "One Moment in Time." But Paul had been around for a long time, and he still is around, and will be remembered as one of skating's greats. Tara and Sarah will not be remembered for anything.

I attended 2003 Worlds (year following Olympics where Sarah had her moment). Sarah was a disaster. She hadn't won Nationals. Michelle got out there and skated such a fantastic program in front of a totally packed arena. No judge was holding her up. She skated her heart and soul out. Sarah was down the ladder among the no names. Pitiful for an Olympic champion. So she won an Olympic gold medal. Big woop. In my eyes it is not worth very much, because she did not do much to earn it. Tara on the other hand was a National and World Champion. So I believe she qualified a bit more. After 2003, Sarah dropped out of competition. Smart move. Otherwise she would continue to embarrass herself. She couldn't pit herself against Michelle or Sasha. She didn't have the artistry. Neither does Emily. Petitioning the ISU or USOC because of an injury is in the rule book. Michelle was not doing anything out of the ordinary. It is something that an athlete is allowed to do. She did not manipulate anything. I can't understand why people on this board are resenting her so much. Who did she prevent from moving ahead? We all know Sasha could never skate a clean program. And big deal that Sarah did not win Skate America back in whatever year. I believe an Olympic Champion has an obligation to represent the US and contribute something to the sport that is going to improve the sport. Tara and Sarah did not stick around long enough to make any impression whatsoever. Michelle will always be remembered as one of the greats. Get used to it people. That is the way that it is. I don't know what you are so mad about. The girl had to withdraw from the Olympics. Isn't that enough revenge for you? And has Emily ever done anything except replace Michelle? And I can tell you right now, from looking at the present competition, Emily never will do anything more than she has done right now. In my opinion Emily skates like a zamboni. No finesse in her style whatsoever. She throws herself into her jumps and lands them with a thud. And has a real problem with her triple flip. You betcha a healthy Michelle would have been able to place higher than Emily Hughes at the Olympics. But unfortunately, we were denied the opportunity to find out. The ladies competition at the Olympics, as far as I am concerned was a complete dud. Michelle could have outskated Arakawa anyday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michelle Kwan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PHOTOS: Johnny Weir, fashion iconPHOTOS: Johnny... (May '14) May '14 Angelina 1
News Michelle Kwan Skates Away with Disney Deal (Feb '06) Oct '12 Loco Madre7 83
News The Biggest Surprise Stars of the Olympic Games (Dec '11) Dec '11 one who knows 1
News Michelle Kwan -- Sports have power to change lives (Sep '11) Nov '11 Ms E 3
News Woman Figure Skater Wears Pants on Ice (Feb '06) Apr '11 KWANSUCKSDIRT 316
News Quit skating? Kwan 'not closing any doors' (Apr '06) Mar '11 Montana 59
Michelle Kwan is the best! (Jun '08) Feb '11 What You Say Willis 9
More from around the web