Michelle Kwan's on the mend

Michelle Kwan's on the mend

There are 52 comments on the The Charlotte Observer story from May 11, 2006, titled Michelle Kwan's on the mend. In it, The Charlotte Observer reports that:

Ice skater Michelle Kwan, winner of nine national titles, five world titles and Olympic silver and bronze medals, will appear in Charlotte on Saturday at the Bobcats Arena with the John Hancock Champions on Ice ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Charlotte Observer.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bev Iametti

Bronx, NY

#1 May 17, 2006
Lots of Luck Michelle. hope you keep mending fast,,, there are so many people that love you.
Also the nerve of her to get mad because you were chosen to go to White House.I dislike when someone wins Gold & you then never hear from them again, well hardly.
Go Michelle Go,, "Youre Gold" without winning the gold.
Bev Iametti

biametti@optonline.net
Media Critic

Kansas City, MO

#2 May 21, 2006
Bev Iametti wrote:
Lots of Luck Michelle. hope you keep mending fast,,, there are so many people that love you.
Also the nerve of her to get mad because you were chosen to go to White House.I dislike when someone wins Gold & you then never hear from them again, well hardly.
Bev Iametti
biametti@optonline.net
Michelle Kwan and her handlers managed to convince the U.S. Olympic Committee that she had "mended fast" from the injury which prevented her from competing at nationals to actually *earn* a spot on the Olympic team like everyone else did, so they awarded her a medical exemption, which, shortly upon her arrival in Torino, she promptly forfeited after participating in a dreadful partial practice session or two. Here's hoping the Committee will never make that sort of misguided and unfair decision again.

As to the White House visit, President Bush is so unpopular right now I doubt it made much of a lasting difference to others who felt snubbed by the lack of an invitation.
Barbara Woolhouse

United States

#3 Jul 13, 2006
Michelle Kwan may not be perfect, but that doesn't seem to matter to the general public over all. She has continued to compete for herself, and her dream of that gold medal for sure, but lets give a little credit to her for continuing to bring us the many medals, and honors that Tara Linsli and Sarah Hughes did not. They took their medals and hit the exit door, and as I remember neither of them ever lasted very long in the pros. either. I think that is called l5 min. of fame as compared to longevity.
Barbara Woolhouse

United States

#4 Jul 13, 2006
July l3, 2006

P.S. As for President Bush inviting Michelle to the White House------Good for you Pres. Bush you really do know class when you see it.
Importance

Billings, MT

#6 Jul 15, 2006
Barbara Woolhouse wrote:
Michelle Kwan may not be perfect, but that doesn't seem to matter to the general public over all. She has continued to compete for herself, and her dream of that gold medal for sure, but lets give a little credit to her for continuing to bring us the many medals, and honors that Tara Linsli and Sarah Hughes did not. They took their medals and hit the exit door, and as I remember neither of them ever lasted very long in the pros. either. I think that is called l5 min. of fame as compared to longevity.
Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes EARNED their so called 15 minutes of fame and actually Tara had creamed Kwan before...and more importantly they played fair and their "15" minutes of fame ocurred at THE OLYMPICS ON THE TOP OF THE PODIUM....Kwan can have all the medals she wants but she ain't got the one that counts and I am impressed that the judges in 98 and 02 honored the BEST. Sarah and Tara didn't have to keep trying and shoving and petitioning...they WON big time
So What

Billings, MT

#7 Jul 15, 2006
Media Critic wrote:
<quoted text>
Michelle Kwan and her handlers managed to convince the U.S. Olympic Committee that she had "mended fast" from the injury which prevented her from competing at nationals to actually *earn* a spot on the Olympic team like everyone else did, so they awarded her a medical exemption, which, shortly upon her arrival in Torino, she promptly forfeited after participating in a dreadful partial practice session or two. Here's hoping the Committee will never make that sort of misguided and unfair decision again.
As to the White House visit, President Bush is so unpopular right now I doubt it made much of a lasting difference to others who felt snubbed by the lack of an invitation.
Despite what a whole lot of people think KWAN isn't the greatest to a lot of people..there are actually people who believe that she cheated and lied her way into the 2006 games..and then after milking it for everything she could..press conference..sobbing...crying.. (never an admission that she really should have stayed home) went home and watched as all kinds of tributes and accolades came her way for being so gracious...the tributes are sickening and KWAN THE KWEEN just laps it up..the Kwanatics are the most vocal so of course those who believe in fair play and the olympic creed aren't heard..I personally am not an important person but I have yet to hear anyone in my little world credit the KWEEN with the title of "gracious" let alone the greatest! We lower life forms believe in hard work and fair play...no Emily had no experience..how could she with Kwan and her pen at play
Classgetreal

Billings, MT

#8 Jul 15, 2006
Barbara Woolhouse wrote:
July l3, 2006
P.S. As for President Bush inviting Michelle to the White House------Good for you Pres. Bush you really do know class when you see it.
snicker, snicker, lol, gagaroo, pukola city..if Kwan is what Bush sees as "class" that man needs glasses
Media Critic

Kansas City, MO

#9 Sep 15, 2006
Barbara Woolhouse wrote:
A refreshing change of pace for this forum, Barbara -- someone who actually concedes that Kwan is not "perfect" in every way. I do believe 14 of her 15 minutes are up, though.
anon

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Nov 21, 2006
Tara and Sara - one hit wonders - Michelle Reigns SUPREME! One exceptional (in the eyes of SOME) does not an OLYMPIC champion make - regardless of what the judges deemed 'best' on that given night. Head to head Sara, Tara or Sasha are just no match for Michelle unless they're way over being on top of their game and if Michelle's having a bad night (which can happen to any skater) other than that Michelle wins - hands down - she has what really counts - LOVE of the sport and she's a true CHAMP! regardless of whatever color Olympic medal she took home.
Gagging in Montana

Billings, MT

#11 Nov 21, 2006
anon wrote:
Tara and Sara - one hit wonders - Michelle Reigns SUPREME! One exceptional (in the eyes of SOME) does not an OLYMPIC champion make - regardless of what the judges deemed 'best' on that given night. Head to head Sara, Tara or Sasha are just no match for Michelle unless they're way over being on top of their game and if Michelle's having a bad night (which can happen to any skater) other than that Michelle wins - hands down - she has what really counts - LOVE of the sport and she's a true CHAMP! regardless of whatever color Olympic medal she took home.
Tara is hardly a one hit wonder..she has titles that won't quit and they have been won at a much younger age than Kwan won hers...Tara can outskate Kwan by a million miles and proved it at the Olympics, Nationals, Worlds...she didn't have to hang around to win more medals..she stood on top of the Olympic podium at 15 years old...Sarah Hughes, maybe..a one hit wonder I mean but even at that she didn't use a pen to get into the Olympics and she wouldn have won any Olympics with that program. Sarah's one hit gave her everlasting Olympic Gold! To say that no one can beat Michelle unless she has an off night is true...she has to be sooooooooo bad that the judges can't hold her up with a straight face..the American public will only buy into so much. Of course you are anonymous..with such a dippy post you are wise to be.
Tara and Sarah loved the sport and they NOT SHELLY THE SELF CENTERED are TRUE CHAMPS. As are a lot of other athletes. Kwan is not a true champ and didn't even deserve the Bronze in SLC..Sasha did but God forbid the KWEEN go home empty handed until she splattered herself all over the ice in Torino and exposed herself for the arrogant phony that she is. Emily Hughes is another true champ..she doesn't need any medal. Kwan held her pity party and then crawled out of Torino but it wasn't because of any respect for the Olympics..it was because she didn't want to look like an idiot again. Notice that she didn't go until she had sufficient press and told the whole world about her groin owie..she didn't just go quietly after admitting her horrid mistake in conniving her way onto the team..oh no..she had to make it a huge huge deal and it is really paying off for her...
Fuming in Montana

Billings, MT

#12 Nov 25, 2006
Bev Iametti wrote:
Bev Iametti

biametti@optonline.net
I am going to be ill..this cheating, lying, egomanical, self centered, photo loving press courting person who robbed someone else of their full dream is now going to represent our country and is being held up as a role model for true sportsmanship...how, could you even consider this? A true sport wouldn't have been in Torino under false colors after a manuever that would put the Blue Angels to shame. We have a lot of wonderful American athletes who DO empitomize sportsmanship, fair play, integrity, honesty, and yet you pick Kwan who has none of the above to represent us. I know our opinions don't count because the decision was made and it even sounds like a position was created for crybaby Kwan..her Torino move really payed off for her..most liars and cheats of her caliber are behind bars right along with their enablers..or they jolly well should be. Kwan doesn't represent MY country and I live here, too. You go Michelle..make like the wind and blow Michelle...hope the GROIN holds out...
younameit

Huntsville, AL

#13 Dec 1, 2006
Like trumpet players, Tara and Sara can play a difficult high note but that does not mean they are better musicians. On the other hand, Kwan is a skilled musician who is able to provide elegant and classical pieces over the time!
Media Critic

Peoria, IL

#14 Dec 1, 2006
younameit wrote:
Like trumpet players, Tara and Sara can play a difficult high note but that does not mean they are better musicians. On the other hand, Kwan is a skilled musician who is able to provide elegant and classical pieces over the time!
Interesting analogy, but to provide a more apt one in the same vein, I would argue that like a once-great but now increasingly decrepit violinist, Kwan has hit nothing but sour notes in recent years, sold her precious Stradivarius (and her tattered reputation) on eBay to the highest bidder, and embarked upon a whirlwind world tour as an unpaid, volunteer ambassador without portfolio. This is sad, but it is also quite true.
Montana to all

Billings, MT

#15 Dec 10, 2006
Here is sports writer Michael Bradley's opinion:
Here is Reason No. 78 why figure skating is a joke: Michelle Kwan can get a spot on the Olympic team without competing in the national finals, and the apologists say this is good because the American field is weak. Kwan didn't compete in the trials, so she doesn't deserve a spot. Meanwhile, Emily Hughes competed, finished third and has to wait around to see whether Kwan's injuries heal enough for her to skate in Turin. Just how far will the U.S. federation go to get Kwan a gold medal? Maybe they'll try to Gillooly every other skater in the Olympic field so that Kwan can skate on double runners and finish first.

This just in: Miami should have been in last year's NBA Finals because Dwyane Wade got injured against Detroit and wasn't in top form in Game 7. And the Eagles deserved a spot in the NFL playoffs, because Donovan McNabb had a sports hernia and couldn't perform at his peak. Puh-leeze.
Sedgewick Flithpol

United States

#16 Dec 24, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some pressure on Kwan to at least try for the last Olympics, from the IOC and other commercial businesses like Coke.

Before the Olympics, polls showed that She was the reason many people would tune in. At least with her going, and withdrawing, they were able to build it up, and milk it for a heartbreaking story with a silver lining -- giving the pudgy Hughes girl a shot. That way they could also milk the SISTER thing.

It's all about ratings. Best wishes to Michelle though. I love her skating, she has given some fantastic performances at Nationals and World's, but she has about as much chance of winning the next Olympics as a snowball in a hottub.
montana

Billings, MT

#17 Dec 24, 2006
Sedgewick Flithpol wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some pressure on Kwan to at least try for the last Olympics, from the IOC and other commercial businesses like Coke.
Before the Olympics, polls showed that She was the reason many people would tune in. At least with her going, and withdrawing, they were able to build it up, and milk it for a heartbreaking story with a silver lining -- giving the pudgy Hughes girl a shot. That way they could also milk the SISTER thing.
It's all about ratings. Best wishes to Michelle though. I love her skating, she has given some fantastic performances at Nationals and World's, but she has about as much chance of winning the next Olympics as a snowball in a hottub.
'snowball in a hottub...how very appropo...Kwan didn't win before when she had all the odds in her favor and in fact Nagano was a given until Tara made it impossible...yes, she has done beautifully in the past but at some point along the way she became less of a person than a media goddess...she collected some very questionable medals...I, too have wondered if there wasn't pressure put on her to petition for a spot but she didn't have to..she could have done the honorable thing and refused...still see it the same as I always have...ego, photo seeking, self pity..well, anyway..that press conference was so filled with self pity and sniveling it was hilarious..to think that anyone would buy into it is ludicrous...Shelly the sniveling, whining, kwybaby kween cwaling out of towino with her tail between her legs but boy her hand worked to sign that deal with Disney..pre planned..ya think?
Sk8r Girl

Bronx, NY

#18 Dec 26, 2006
montana wrote:
<quoted text>
'snowball in a hottub...how very appropo...Kwan didn't win before when she had all the odds in her favor and in fact Nagano was a given until Tara made it impossible...yes, she has done beautifully in the past but at some point along the way she became less of a person than a media goddess...she collected some very questionable medals...I, too have wondered if there wasn't pressure put on her to petition for a spot but she didn't have to..she could have done the honorable thing and refused...still see it the same as I always have...ego, photo seeking, self pity..well, anyway..that press conference was so filled with self pity and sniveling it was hilarious..to think that anyone would buy into it is ludicrous...Shelly the sniveling, whining, kwybaby kween cwaling out of towino with her tail between her legs but boy her hand worked to sign that deal with Disney..pre planned..ya think?
You sure are full of ideas.
Are you an elite sk8r? I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion; however, you are not being fair to Kwan. You are projecting your own behavior onto Michelle if you think she was not being sincere.
montana

Billings, MT

#19 Dec 26, 2006
Sk8r Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure are full of ideas.
Are you an elite sk8r? I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion; however, you are not being fair to Kwan. You are projecting your own behavior onto Michelle if you think she was not being sincere.
Kwan wins controversial title at Skate America

Crowd hisses as Hughes denied victory again

By Jenifer K. Nii
Deseret News sports writer

COLORADO SPRINGS There were two big questions swirling around this week at the Skate America figure skating competition: Can Michelle Kwan win big events without her longtime coach by her side, and will Sasha Cohen land the quad?
The answer to both of those questions, at least here at the World Arena Saturday night, is sort of.
Michelle Kwan won her sixth Skate America title, eeking past fellow American Sarah Hughes in a highly controversial decision by the seven-member panel of judges. Despite having a technically inferior program and two major errors, Kwan won first place nods from five of the seven judges.
Kwan singled a double Axel jump and landed only five clean triples, in comparison to Hughes' six. Hughes also landed the most difficult jump combination, a huge triple Salchow-triple loop.
With a rumbling standing ovation and hisses over low scores, spectators overwhelmingly cast their vote for Hughes undoubtedly a curious moment for the much-beloved Kwan."I knew that she must have done a clean performance," said Kwan, about the audience's reaction."I mean, for me personally, I don't feel like this was a victory. I wasn't real ecstatic after the short program. I made mistakes."
Still, Kwan said she was proud of her performance."I've had such a crazy couple of months," she said."I'm glad I was able to stand up tall and skate through it with power ... It was a decent skate."
Hughes has bumped up against questionable judging with increasing frequency in her match-ups with Kwan over the last year, but declined to challenge the panel's decision Saturday.
THIS WAS ANOTHER CLASS ACT BY A HUGHES' SISTER..BUT OF COURSE KWAN 'GRACIOUSLY' ACCEPTED THE GOLD..PLEASE NOTE THE ANGER FROM THE AUDIENCE AND THE SCORN OF THE EXPERT WHO WROTE THIS
Are you a psychologist..just wondering since you seem to be able to analyze my thinking..don't bother sending a bill..I pay for professional opinions, thank you!

As for the above...
Sk8r Girl

Bronx, NY

#20 Dec 30, 2006
montana wrote:
<quoted text>
Kwan wins controversial title at Skate America
Crowd hisses as Hughes denied victory again
By Jenifer K. Nii
Deseret News sports writer
COLORADO SPRINGS There were two big questions swirling around this week at the Skate America figure skating competition: Can Michelle Kwan win big events without her longtime coach by her side, and will Sasha Cohen land the quad?
The answer to both of those questions, at least here at the World Arena Saturday night, is sort of.
Michelle Kwan won her sixth Skate America title, eeking past fellow American Sarah Hughes in a highly controversial decision by the seven-member panel of judges. Despite having a technically inferior program and two major errors, Kwan won first place nods from five of the seven judges.
Kwan singled a double Axel jump and landed only five clean triples, in comparison to Hughes' six. Hughes also landed the most difficult jump combination, a huge triple Salchow-triple loop.
With a rumbling standing ovation and hisses over low scores, spectators overwhelmingly cast their vote for Hughes undoubtedly a curious moment for the much-beloved Kwan."I knew that she must have done a clean performance," said Kwan, about the audience's reaction."I mean, for me personally, I don't feel like this was a victory. I wasn't real ecstatic after the short program. I made mistakes."
Still, Kwan said she was proud of her performance."I've had such a crazy couple of months," she said."I'm glad I was able to stand up tall and skate through it with power ... It was a decent skate."
Hughes has bumped up against questionable judging with increasing frequency in her match-ups with Kwan over the last year, but declined to challenge the panel's decision Saturday.
THIS WAS ANOTHER CLASS ACT BY A HUGHES' SISTER..BUT OF COURSE KWAN 'GRACIOUSLY' ACCEPTED THE GOLD..PLEASE NOTE THE ANGER FROM THE AUDIENCE AND THE SCORN OF THE EXPERT WHO WROTE THIS
Are you a psychologist..just wondering since you seem to be able to analyze my thinking..don't bother sending a bill..I pay for professional opinions, thank you!
As for the above...
ALL CIRCUMSTANCIAL
IF HUGHES FELT CONFIDENT ABOUT HER PERFORMANCE SHE WOULD HAVE FOUGHT.
DON'T GET ME WRONG, I LIKE THE HUGHES INCLUDING ALL OF THE OTHER SKATERS. I USE THEM ALL AS INSPIRATIONS FOR MY SKATING.
THIS IS ONLY THIS WRITER'S POINT OF VIEW; OBVIOUSLY, NOT THE JUDGES!
montana

Billings, MT

#21 Dec 31, 2006
Sk8r Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL CIRCUMSTANCIAL
IF HUGHES FELT CONFIDENT ABOUT HER PERFORMANCE SHE WOULD HAVE FOUGHT.
DON'T GET ME WRONG, I LIKE THE HUGHES INCLUDING ALL OF THE OTHER SKATERS. I USE THEM ALL AS INSPIRATIONS FOR MY SKATING.
THIS IS ONLY THIS WRITER'S POINT OF VIEW; OBVIOUSLY, NOT THE JUDGES!
Correct you are but please note the reaction of the audience..and this isn't the full article...I don't think that it is fair to Sarah to say that she would have fought...that to me would have been pointless and a hollow victory...I will put the whole article in..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michelle Kwan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PHOTOS: Johnny Weir, fashion iconPHOTOS: Johnny... (May '14) May '14 Angelina 1
News Michelle Kwan Skates Away with Disney Deal (Feb '06) Oct '12 Loco Madre7 83
News The Biggest Surprise Stars of the Olympic Games (Dec '11) Dec '11 one who knows 1
News Michelle Kwan -- Sports have power to change lives (Sep '11) Nov '11 Ms E 3
News Woman Figure Skater Wears Pants on Ice (Feb '06) Apr '11 KWANSUCKSDIRT 316
News Quit skating? Kwan 'not closing any doors' (Apr '06) Mar '11 Montana 59
Michelle Kwan is the best! (Jun '08) Feb '11 What You Say Willis 9
More from around the web