Quit skating? Kwan 'not closing any d...

Quit skating? Kwan 'not closing any doors'

There are 59 comments on the CNN story from Apr 11, 2006, titled Quit skating? Kwan 'not closing any doors'. In it, CNN reports that:

Welcomed by thunderous applause and cries of "We missed you, Michelle," Michelle Kwan said Tuesday she's not ready to quit competitive skating.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Eddie

Clarkesville, GA

#1 Apr 12, 2006
Good for you Michelle. You may be a another Dan Jansen, you may get a gold medal after all. Look on the bright sight side. You have got yourself a medal in every Olymapic that you have attended but this year's Olympics. You have one of the greatest skating record of all time. You are the reason that maybe that the Chinese, Japnese, and Koreans are getting inspire to do better. Maybe, you should not expect to medal I the next Olympics. Slutskaya and Cohen may get one too. They are both capable of getting a gold medal in the Olympics, if they skate good at the right time. I am sure all are capable who are allowed to a attend. Give-up until you have too, I may suggest. Todd Eldredge, did not give-up until he had too. You will made a reward winning coach in the future. That for the NON-ARROGANT AMERICAN'S LEGACY APPROACH to skating. (You,Cohen, Meissner, Hughes, and Hughes) You all make me proud to be an American, whether you get a medal or not. I always support Americans in the sport. I always want you to win, but its do not always happens. I like any skater that is not stuck on themselves. That is a sign of a good athlele.
Media Critic

Belton, MO

#2 May 21, 2006
Eddie wrote:
Good for you Michelle. You may be a another Dan Jansen, you may get a gold medal after all. Look on the bright sight side. You have got yourself a medal in every Olymapic that you have attended but this year's Olympics. You have one of the greatest skating record of all time. You are the reason that maybe that the Chinese, Japnese, and Koreans are getting inspire to do better. Maybe, you should not expect to medal I the next Olympics. Slutskaya and Cohen may get one too. They are both capable of getting a gold medal in the Olympics, if they skate good at the right time. I am sure all are capable who are allowed to a attend. Give-up until you have too, I may suggest. Todd Eldredge, did not give-up until he had too. You will made a reward winning coach in the future. That for the NON-ARROGANT AMERICAN'S LEGACY APPROACH to skating.(You,Cohen, Meissner, Hughes, and Hughes) You all make me proud to be an American, whether you get a medal or not. I always support Americans in the sport. I always want you to win, but its do not always happens. I like any skater that is not stuck on themselves. That is a sign of a good athlele.
You may be right, but I think Michelle Kwan has it backward. It's not really about whether she decides not to close any doors, it's whether those doors decide to *close on her* due to the relentless passage of time and the much higher chance of injury it entails. As I have said on another thread, in all probability Kwan's competitive Olympic figure skating career is over, having ended at Torino not with a bang, but a whimper.
Eddie _ No trash talk

United States

#3 May 23, 2006
Media Critic, I appreciate your comments.
Joe Thomas

United States

#4 Jun 8, 2006
Media Critic go to Hell
Media Critic

Belton, MO

#5 Jun 9, 2006
Joe Thomas wrote:
Media Critic go to Hell
Brilliant rebuttal there, Joe. When you actually come up with something substantive to say, I'll be ready, willing, and able to respond.
Grantcanfly

Burlington, KY

#6 Jun 16, 2006
She is awesome! The best! Love, Love, Love michelle Kwan!
barbara olsavsky

Hightstown, NJ

#7 Jun 25, 2006
I've followed Michelle's career from the beginning; she is, to quote Frank Carroll, "simply tne best." Look around... noone has come close to matching her achievments. Just remaining match fit for the number of years her career has
spanned is laudable; and her poise,grace under pressure and delightful ways bring one to hope she competes forever, much like Michael Jordan or Mia Hamm. I, for one, wish to say thank you, Michelle!
Media Critic

Belton, MO

#8 Jun 26, 2006
barbara olsavsky wrote:
I've followed Michelle's career from the beginning; she is, to quote Frank Carroll, "simply tne best." Look around... noone has come close to matching her achievments. Just remaining match fit for the number of years her career has spanned is laudable; and her poise,grace under pressure and delightful ways bring one to hope she competes forever, much like Michael Jordan or Mia Hamm. I, for one, wish to say thank you, Michelle!
I agree with everything you have said, but the fact remains that in all probability, Kwan *was* "simply the best" and has reached the end of the line as a world-class figure skater. She cannot compete forever, of course, no matter how much one might wish it to be, and unlike Jordan or Hamm, Kwan does not compete in a team sport, where a player can have a significant impact despite the relentless passage of time. The fiasco at Torino illustrates what can happen to a once-great athlete who desperately wants to hang on at all costs. It's sad, but as I have pointed out several times in this forum, it is also true.
to eddie

AOL

#9 Jul 4, 2006
Cohen is stuck on herself
Realist

United States

#10 Jul 17, 2006
Eddie _ No trash talk wrote:
Media Critic, I appreciate your comments.
Me, too!
Realist

United States

#11 Jul 17, 2006
Joe Thomas wrote:
Media Critic go to Hell
Well, I guess if you can't refute the facts you have to resort to swearing and insults...
kevin

Eagle Pass, TX

#12 Aug 18, 2006
michelle you are so inspiring!! we love you no matter what you decide to do!
kevin

Eagle Pass, TX

#13 Aug 18, 2006
i bought an 06 corvette because u did some commercial for chevrolet and everything else u did commercial for thanks for all what you have done for our nation you are so inspiring!!
Montana

United States

#14 Aug 20, 2006
Michelle, do all the commercials you want, accept ("humbly") all the accolades that come your way..believe that you are the best of the best but check your medals..ain't no olympic gold..despite your manipulating your way into the 2006 U.S. olympic games..gonna try again in 2010? You have demonstrated your ability to use the system to your advantage so why not? I know very well that you can't hear me or anyone who dares to suggest that you are not the creme de le creme and gracious and humble and classy and uh all the things that are so great to hear..but I don't care..this is my opinion.
You should be ashamed...very ashamed...I hope that you never represent the United States of America again...ever...I am sure you will but there are many people who will either be snickering or gagging..I'll be doing both!!!!! Inspiring..NOT!
Lorelei

New York, NY

#15 Aug 30, 2006
Wow. Somebody finally got it right! Montana, you have lots of courage to tell it like it is. Kwan is a phony, skilled in the art of pulling the wool over everybody's eyes. She never had the highest level of skill. And her father is the "stage father" from hell. Remember her loss in 1998 when she said on national TV "I hope my family will still love me." Her father walked away from her when she lost in 2002.
Thanks, Montana, for your astute post.
Media Critic

Belton, MO

#16 Sep 15, 2006
Lorelei wrote:
Wow. Somebody finally got it right! Montana, you have lots of courage to tell it like it is. Kwan is a phony, skilled in the art of pulling the wool over everybody's eyes. She never had the highest level of skill. And her father is the "stage father" from hell. Remember her loss in 1998 when she said on national TV "I hope my family will still love me." Her father walked away from her when she lost in 2002. Thanks, Montana, for your astute post.
Lorelei, Montana and I (among precious few others) have been figting the good fight in this forum for many months now. Reality bites, and it's taken a huge chunk of flesh out of Kwan whether she or anyone else likes it or not.
Poseidon to Media Critic

Medina, TN

#17 Dec 17, 2006
Fighting the good fight? You and Montana and Lorelei are fighting because you are simply deluded of the truth. You go to the second layer of evidence but don't go too deep down to see the reality. Kwan deserved every medal she won under the old scoring system. Do you really believe Emily couldv'e beaten Kwan at the Nationals?
Media Critic

Peoria, IL

#18 Dec 17, 2006
Poseidon to Media Critic wrote:
Kwan deserved every medal she won under the old scoring system. Do you really believe Emily couldv'e beaten Kwan at the Nationals?
Poseidon, unlike some of the precious few others fighting the good fight against the Kwanatics in this forum, I have never begrudged Kwan any of her medals under the old scoring system. The problem is that because she has been unwilling and/or or unable to adapt to the new scoring system, she has become yesterday's news vis-a-vis those who have. And, since I have never engaged in the pointless theoretical exercise of predicting that Emily would have beaten her at Nationals, you obviously have me confused with those who did.
MichelleKwanFan

Medina, TN

#19 Dec 18, 2006
Ok. I see your point here. So you do think that Kwan deserved every medal she got under the old scoring system but don't think that Kwan has yet FULLY ADAPTED to the new scoring system? I believe that too since Kwan didn't place in the 2005 Worlds under the new scoring system. Oh and no I didn't get you mixed up but you were siding with Montana so it would seem that you were agreeing with her on most things.
But we do not yet know if Kwan did adapt to the new scoring system since we didn't see her programs- though I'm sure she did adapt more than she did last year therefore allowing her to go to the Olympics. Long live Kwan!!! I bitterly hate the new scoring systems in everything. There's a new grading system at my school and now the new scoring systems in gymnastics and figure skating. Skating has become boring now because the new scoring system is based on technical skill instead of artistry and now skaters aren't very artistic at all because they're so focused on the technical skills. That's why I miss Michelle Kwan so much. Skating isn't only about jumps and spins but also about love of the sport and that's why Kwan won so many things.
Montana

United States

#20 Dec 18, 2006
SKATE AMERICA 2002
1997 TAJ MAHAL
BOLERO LAST RECORD TYING TITLE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michelle Kwan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PHOTOS: Johnny Weir, fashion iconPHOTOS: Johnny... (May '14) May '14 Angelina 1
News Michelle Kwan Skates Away with Disney Deal (Feb '06) Oct '12 Loco Madre7 83
News The Biggest Surprise Stars of the Olympic Games (Dec '11) Dec '11 one who knows 1
News Michelle Kwan -- Sports have power to change lives (Sep '11) Nov '11 Ms E 3
News Woman Figure Skater Wears Pants on Ice (Feb '06) Apr '11 KWANSUCKSDIRT 316
Michelle Kwan is the best! (Jun '08) Feb '11 What You Say Willis 9
News Skating tragedy remembered - The Park Record (Feb '11) Feb '11 Ruth Ann Prather 1
More from around the web