Japanese dominate Grand Prix Final field

Japanese dominate Grand Prix Final field

There are 21 comments on the MSN-Mainichi Daily News story from Dec 14, 2006, titled Japanese dominate Grand Prix Final field. In it, MSN-Mainichi Daily News reports that:

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia -- The Grand Prix Final opens Friday with a strong field of Japanese and Chinese figure skaters but a shortage of competitors from the traditional strongholds of Russia and the United ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MSN-Mainichi Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Stefanya

Broomfield, CO

#1 Dec 14, 2006
Surprize! Surprize! Surprise. Two decades after the fall of the soviet Union at long last Russians are not prominant in the field of figre skating at the ISU final and probably at the world.

For nearly two decades skating commentators like
Dick Button and Peggy Fleming have been predicting the demise of Russian skaters, but I'll bet even they were wondering if it would ever happen. But then with the fall of a government, the lack of money, mass exodus of Russians leaving Russia to find work, and the entire world benefitting from Russia"s bad fortune of losing most of their skating coaches
and skaters, who today seem to be coaching everyone in the world and skating for every country in the world but Russia it has finally happened.
But don't jump for joy to soon. Russians may be down, but they are not out yet. Now that Russia has hit rock bottom, Russia and Russians will begin to rise anew, like the Phoenix who rose from the ashes.
People like Brian Joubert of France, whose coaches ran to Russian coaches to help him skate like Alexie Yagudin, ran to Alexie Yagudin and other Russian coaches to help him get the skills to win.
The Japanese are all in America, to get dibs on their Russian coaches to help them win and keep winning.
Stefanya

Broomfield, CO

#2 Dec 14, 2006
continued from above:

All the world's ice dancers are flocking to the US to grab their Russian Ice dance coaches and the chinese, when they aren't studing past Russian pairs champions, like Berezhnaya/Sikhuradlidze and Totmiania and Marinin, are read to hop a plane and get themselves a Russian coach to help them with their choreography to place the artistry they learned from watching those tapes of the Russian former Champions in the correct way to be artistic an well look like artistic former Russian Pairs champions.

But hold the phone. Already Russian Ice dancers who have only been together for a couple of years, are moving up the ladder to get near the top. Ice dancers Domnina and Shabalin have already beaten the much touted and much trained for years by Russian coaches and Choreographers for the past decade American's Belbin and Agosto. Likewise, Young Russian ice dancers Khoklova and Novitski have beaten another American team Gregory and her Russian husband Petukov, who have had no less of five different Russian coaches over the past ten years.

Domnina and Shabalin are the reason, Bulgarian Albena Denkova and her Russian partner Staviski ran to the US to get one of the big three Russian coaches who are all now in Canada and the US because, imagine the nerve of this:
The Russia coaches in Moscow (are there any of the left to teach Russians) who coached (for the past decade and a half) the Rumanian/Russian team who won the world last year, actually paid attention to a talented young Russian team. The nerve of those Russian coaches, don't they know they should only coach everyone in the world but Russians? Shame on them.

Well, anyway, Denkova complained that the Moscow Russian coaches were spending too much time with Russians Domnina and Shabalin and they left for the US to grab a less Russian Russian coach Natalia Linachuk (one of the big three) and Gennadi Karponnosov.

Somewhere along the line another young Russian ice dance team, loaded with natural talent, Jahna Khoklova and her partner snuck into the line up and they two are showing the skills that are moving them up the ladder of ice dancing.
Now that the Russians have understood, in a big way, that giving al their best to the world and leaves little home, and that even their depth of talented skaters can be depleted if the world gets their hands on enough of them, I suspect that a lot of attention will be put on patriotism and on training Russian skates who will skate and coach for Russia and not play traitor. But those skaters are still young.

There's plenty of talent left in Russia. Factor in a little time, a lot of will power and work to rebuild the skating team and world watch out. Russia has a way of rising like the phoenix from the ashes, with no help from the world. The world takes from Russia, it does not give to Russia. So Russians will do it by themselves just like they did after, The mongol hordes devasted Russia, as did Hitler and Stalin and two world wars, a revolution and a civil war.

In the meantime Russians Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin and Khoklova and her partner have arrived and are threatening to take their Rightful place in the world of skating. Ice dancing anyone? Keep your eye on them.
Stefanya

Denver, CO

#3 Dec 20, 2006
Russian Ice dancers Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin came in third at the ISU final, and they did it with very high scores right behind the top two teams in the world today the Canadians and the Bulgarians. Only American's Belbin and Agosto weren't there, but Domnina and Shabalin have already beaten them once.

Congratulations to Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin for comming in third at the ISU final. Jahna Khoklova and Sergei Novitski for comming in fifth. These relatively unknow Russian Ice dance teams are showing that they are talented enough to challenge the top skaters in Ice Dancing. They are young team and have a promising future.

Now Russia needs to start thinking about helping talented Russian skaters in Men's, ladies, and pairs and stop worrying about teaching the Brian Jouberts, Mao Asadas etc in the world.

Russians can turn this situation around and fast. They just need to get their patriotism back and refuse to give all their coaches to the world.

I don't know if the ISU has finanacial problems, I'm more worried about Russians getting a fair chance in the world, which they will not get if all the coaches continue to coach the world.
Stefanya

Littleton, CO

#4 Dec 28, 2006
Who cares if the Japanese, or Chinese are dominating? It is not these countries that are providing the knowhow in getting these victories. The know-how is coming from the many Russian coaches that the worlds skaters are running to. The best Russian coaches, and choreographers are sitting beside the worlds winners and providing the knowhow to accomplish the winning, while the Russian skaters are struggling to get the coaching they need in order to reach the top step.

In fact Russia is the only country whose skaters rely only on Russian coaches and choreographers even though most of them are in the US teaching the world.

Russians are the true amateurs who are rebuilding and training lots of young skaters who in time will show their stuff.

I for one do not care who will win this year or next, until Russians are able to come up with the new coaches and techniques that will put their skaters on top again.

It's a tug of war between the defecting Russian coaches, and the "Rising from the Ashes like the Phoenix" Russians who remain and train in Russia and make the best of what is there instead of jumping on the "grab the best Russian coaches who are coaching the world bandwagon."

I'm interested in the Russians who are pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps, and KNOW-HOW in their own country and battling the Russian-trained skaters of the world for their piece of the pie. It's a lot harder than just paying for the best Russian coaches, most Russians don't even have access to.

Now that is a competition worth watching.

“Hope for Best- Expect Worst”

Since: Jan 07

Somewhere in Colorado

#5 Jan 3, 2007
Come on Russians, stop training coaches and skaters to train the world. Change those laws and have an understanding that persons interested in training in Russia just to run off and teach the world NEED NOT APPLY. SABATEURS ARE NOT NEEDED. ONLY RUSSIANS READY TO TRAIN AND SKATE FOR RUSSIA SHOULD BE TRAINED IN RUSSIA. THOSE PLANNING ON TEACHING THE WORLD SHOULD GO OUT INTO THE WORLD AND TRAIN THERE AND THEN TEACH THERE.

Somewhere in Colorado

#6 Feb 20, 2007
It seems that Russian Ice Dancers Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin are continuing to show their talent, after it looked like there would be no Russians to follow Tatiana Nafka and Romn Kostamarov, after they retired after the Torino Olympic Games in 2006.

At The Europeans they beat the above mentioned Russian-trained in Russia Bulgarians Albina Denkova and her Russian partner Staviski.
They just missed gold at the Europeass by .3 (three tenths of a point. But Maxim Shabalin twisted his ankle just before the competition. IF he hadn't who knows? So out of the blue come two Russian pairs who are moving up in the world of ice dancing, when nobody thought there would be anyone to challenge the Russian trained ice dancers of the world for Russia. Jahna Kohklova and her partner Novitski are also moving steadily up, as well they should as they are natureally talented.

No interest in the fact that a couple of Russian teams are stepping up to the plate and challenging the world. How interesting.

Somewhere in Colorado

#7 Feb 20, 2007
What? No interest and no takers for this blog. Now that the world's ice dancers are fortified with the best Russian training from Russian coaches, I guess nobody is afraid.

With the Advent of two Russian Ice Dance teams, Domnina and Shabalin and Kohklova and Novitski, it seems that THE PHOENIX IS BEGINNING TO STIR.

I find it fascinating.
skateboi2008

Sylvester, GA

#8 Feb 28, 2007
well i really like everyone on the japan team especially odas jumps and takahashe's footwork and the asadas are awsome. but the biggest threat i think is yu na kim of s. korea. Sarah meier of switzerland is also someoone to be watched... i dont really like mikki ando that much

Somewhere in Colorado

#9 Mar 4, 2007
skateboi2008 wrote:
well i really like everyone on the japan team especially odas jumps and takahashe's footwork and the asadas are awsome. but the biggest threat i think is yu na kim of s. korea. Sarah meier of switzerland is also someoone to be watched... i dont really like mikki ando that much
They are the ones to watch today, at least in the ladies division, but they have to thank their Russian coaches, because most of the top Japanese skaters do have Russian coaches.

Obviously when they got serious about winning they went after the best coaches, the Russian coaches. Now the only thing to make the figure skating more interesting, is to watch the Russians rebuild their teams from scratch.

“All MEN ARE VINCIBLE!!!!!!!! !!”

SomeWhere in Georgia

#10 Mar 7, 2007
It looks like, someone is apparently blogging with oneself. I have been watching this forum for a long time and the time is right for my reply. The parrot heard one say,

"I have just one word of advice for you.

SCROLL, SCROLL, SCROLL."

Somewhere in Colorado

#11 Mar 7, 2007
concerning frustrated stalkers who have no mind of their own except to copy from others.......

don't you just love the .....

SomeWhere in Georgia

#12 Mar 7, 2007
No, missy, you are the one that is frustrated! You should have left your comment only between Sh8r Girl and me alone. I have been watching this Russian garbage mess for about two months. I respect the fact that it was started by you, but you seems to not want to give me the same respect, so enjoy!

“... Addicted To Figure Sk8ng ”

Since: Mar 07

Long Island NY

#13 Mar 9, 2007
Stefanya wrote:
concerning frustrated stalkers who have no mind of their own except to copy from others.......
don't you just love the .....
Yeah I agree wholeheartedly!!!

Somewhere in Colorado

#14 Mar 9, 2007
Sk8r Girl _ wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, I like your cute and clever moniker, Sk8r Girl. I'll bet most decent people will not try to use it in their blogs. Are you a single's skater? Will we be seeing you someday at the nationals? But don't answer if you feel at all exposed on this blog. Not eveyone is honorable. On seond thought don't answer that one.

Long Island NY

#17 Mar 9, 2007
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, I like your cute and clever moniker, Sk8r Girl. I'll bet most decent people will not try to use it in their blogs. Are you a single's skater? Will we be seeing you someday at the nationals? But don't answer if you feel at all exposed on this blog. Not eveyone is honorable. On seond thought don't answer that one.
I am sure the answer to this question is quite evident, I'll let you draw that conclusion.

Yes I am a single sk8r

Somewhere in Colorado

#18 Mar 9, 2007
Sk8r Girl _ wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth speaks for itself. Without me and you the poor stalker has nothing to say, he is all copy cat and verbal rapist, stalking and stalking and stalking those who are not interested in that spewed garbage.

By the way Sk8r Girl, What do you think about the Japanese dominating theGrand Prix Final field. Do you think they could have done it without their Russian coaches? Doesn't it just make you want to go out and get a Russian coach to compete? Do you think Russians should run and demand some of those coaches time for their skaters, or do you think only the rest of the world should be fighting over those coaches because today, the rest of the world is the real Russia and deserves those coaches?

I am being facetious of course, I know how you feel, as I have been stalked over a year now and hundreds of blogs, but we do need to talk about the subject here, on this blog I started and was stalked by the stalker to here.

I really am interested in your opinion SK8R Girl. I already know my opinion and I invite YOUR opinion.

Long Island NY

#19 Mar 9, 2007
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth speaks for itself. Without me and you the poor stalker has nothing to say, he is all copy cat and verbal rapist, stalking and stalking and stalking those who are not interested in that spewed garbage.
By the way Sk8r Girl, What do you think about the Japanese dominating theGrand Prix Final field. Do you think they could have done it without their Russian coaches? Doesn't it just make you want to go out and get a Russian coach to compete? Do you think Russians should run and demand some of those coaches time for their skaters, or do you think only the rest of the world should be fighting over those coaches because today, the rest of the world is the real Russia and deserves those coaches?
I am being facetious of course, I know how you feel, as I have been stalked over a year now and hundreds of blogs, but we do need to talk about the subject here, on this blog I started and was stalked by the stalker to here.
I really am interested in your opinion SK8R Girl. I already know my opinion and I invite YOUR opinion.
The fact that the Russians are great coaches go w/o saying. The moms @ my rink take their kids to different rinks out of state ie. Drlaware,in order to train with n American, and am very nationalistic. I am honest and call it what igt is. Russian coaches are good. I am planning to do the same as the parents at my rink; however those calliber coaches are expensive. I am looking forward to get that exposure in the near future

SomeWhere in Georgia

#20 Mar 9, 2007
Americans have more winners without Russian coaches, then with Russian coaches, and the is a great fact. Frank Carroll, if he say it that R C are needed more, I have to see him saying that for myself. Frank Carroll can coach a FS to defeat Russian right now. It is all in one's mind. They are superior alright, superior bragging that is! Yes, their mouths boast great things, and its deadly poision! It is like a match that produces a great FIRE!

Somewhere in Colorado

#21 Mar 9, 2007
Sk8r Girl _ wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that the Russians are great coaches go w/o saying. The moms @ my rink take their kids to different rinks out of state ie. Drlaware,in order to train with n American, and am very nationalistic. I am honest and call it what igt is. Russian coaches are good. I am planning to do the same as the parents at my rink; however those calliber coaches are expensive. I am looking forward to get that exposure in the near future
I appreciate the honesty and I do see the situation for what it is. I do not fault you for getting whatever training you can get and for going as far as you can go. I too am honest in seeing the situation for what it is and I am also honest in my opinion in the criticism of it as I see it. It is not easy to be honest because there are those who cannot respect others opinions and allow people to have the right to that opinion.

Many things in life are not fair and must be lived through, but I believe that the wheel turns and things change.

Long Island NY

#22 Mar 9, 2007
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate the honesty and I do see the situation for what it is. I do not fault you for getting whatever training you can get and for going as far as you can go. I too am honest in seeing the situation for what it is and I am also honest in my opinion in the criticism of it as I see it. It is not easy to be honest because there are those who cannot respect others opinions and allow people to have the right to that opinion.
Many things in life are not fair and must be lived through, but I believe that the wheel turns and things change.
I know you feel that Russia should get the benefits. Look at it this way, it is a gr8 honnor that we (AMERICANS) feel we have to go over seas to get premium coaching.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Weir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Johnny Weir's husband reports the skater to pol... (May '14) May '14 sophiejc1 2
News Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir join Derby hat craze... (May '14) May '14 Stella 12
News PHOTOS: Johnny Weir, fashion iconPHOTOS: Johnny... (May '14) May '14 Angelina 1
News Johnny Weir on Being a White, Gay, Male (Jan '11) Mar '13 amw 3
News Is Johnny Weir Too Gay for 'Stars on Ice'? [Dis... (Mar '10) Jan '13 SLIF 2
Johnny Weir - nude ! (Aug '11) Aug '11 Lorraine 1
News Johnny Weir's 'Ice Dreams' To Benefit Japan Ear... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Sachi 1
More from around the web