Is Johnny Weir Too Gay For Figure Ska...

Is Johnny Weir Too Gay For Figure Skating

There are 93 comments on the A Socialite's Life story from Apr 17, 2006, titled Is Johnny Weir Too Gay For Figure Skating. In it, A Socialite's Life reports that:

Our favorite ice princess isn't getting the loving from the U.S. Figure Skating Association.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at A Socialite's Life.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“All MEN ARE VINCIBLE!!!!!!!! !!”

Since: Jan 07

SomeWhere in Georgia

#81 Mar 15, 2007
Did I hear something? No, I did not!

“Hope for Best- Expect Worst”

Somewhere in Colorado

#82 Mar 17, 2007
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
Stefanya, I apologize for how late I am joining this discussion but I agree with your comments 1000%. Though his sexuality and aesthetic definitely play into why he is continually kept on the periphery by the USFA his admiration of Russian skaters and Russia in general is not gaining him any admirers in the US where it seems, the cold war never ended. More power to Johnny in everything he does. His individuality and fearlessness are an inspiration to all (or at least should be).
to Maria,

I agree again especially as nearly every skater in the top echelons runs to a Russian coach for help. Thos still fighting the cold war and the Russophobes are truly hypocrites for picking on Johnny Weir when the whole world is doing exactly the same thing. Seeking Russian coaches to help them to improve their skating. But then hypocricy knows no end.

I also agree that his being true to his convictions means that he is a true American excercizing is right to thinks what he wants, like what he wants, and express himself as he wants. He is exercising true freedom.

Somewhere in Colorado

#83 Mar 17, 2007
Sk8r Girl _ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am hoping for a sweep.(by the americans ofcourse! LOL)
I wish Johnny well and hope he wins, but I'm also hoping for some other surprises other than Joubert or Lambiel at the worlds. Who knows for sure. As Peggy Fleming is so fond of saying: "ice is a slipper thing."

SomeWhere in Georgia

#84 Mar 17, 2007
Get a skirt or skit, Johnny!!!!!! Johnny "gigi boy" Weir, go design Irina Slutsakya's next dress!!! LOL!!!! I think you are oblivious on the ICE! You kissing-up to Russians or any nationality is totally stupdid. You idolizing Russians are not good. So, you think they are better, than you? It's a mind game Johnny "gigi boy! LOL!!! I hope, Evan Lysacek replays you in rank!!!

“... Addicted To Figure Sk8ng ”

Since: Mar 07

Long Island NY

#85 Mar 18, 2007
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish Johnny well and hope he wins, but I'm also hoping for some other surprises other than Joubert or Lambiel at the worlds. Who knows for sure. As Peggy Fleming is so fond of saying: "ice is a slipper thing."
I am on pins and needle as well. I usually don't watch until I hear the results; especially when my faborites are competing.Only then I decide if it is worth it to drop everything and watch or procrstinate.

Often, when I am wathing one of my favorites during the actual competition I am usually at the edge of my seat, or gripping the sofa... As aresult, I wait until I've read the results.

I stil can't subject myself to watch the men's nationals free sk8. If the scores were: Evan, Johny, or vice versa I would have accepted it; however; he was third and did not sk8 as well as he usually does, I am still unable to accept it.

Hopefully I won't be disappointed at Worlds. Jonhny or Evan whoever is on top is fine with me; I love them both. However the result must be 1, 2 it is the only score I am willing to accept.

I went to get new sk8s the other day at Klingbeil's, I was told that Emily had just been there a couple of days prior, and so was Fumie Segury that previous weekend. The day I went for my measurements ( I am getting custom boots, Emilly and some other stars use the same lab) was the day Emily was leaving for Tokyo.

Somewhere in Colorado

#86 Mar 19, 2007
Sk8r Girl _ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am on pins and needle as well. I usually don't watch until I hear the results; especially when my faborites are competing.Only then I decide if it is worth it to drop everything and watch or procrstinate.
Often, when I am wathing one of my favorites during the actual competition I am usually at the edge of my seat, or gripping the sofa... As aresult, I wait until I've read the results.
I stil can't subject myself to watch the men's nationals free sk8. If the scores were: Evan, Johny, or vice versa I would have accepted it; however; he was third and did not sk8 as well as he usually does, I am still unable to accept it.
Hopefully I won't be disappointed at Worlds. Jonhny or Evan whoever is on top is fine with me; I love them both. However the result must be 1, 2 it is the only score I am willing to accept.
I went to get new sk8s the other day at Klingbeil's, I was told that Emily had just been there a couple of days prior, and so was Fumie Segury that previous weekend. The day I went for my measurements ( I am getting custom boots, Emilly and some other stars use the same lab) was the day Emily was leaving for Tokyo.
To Sk8r Girl

Sounds like you are having an exciting life with your figure skating. While I don't think the curent interntionalism in figure skating is right, I do understand figure skaters taking advantage of what isavailable to them. It must be exciting to be runninng in ircles close to the top skatrs of the world even if it is only in the figure skating boots stores. It must give one a shot of adreneline especially conisidering the hisgh cost of figure skating. I do wish you well and a lot of luck in your figure skating career.

While I certainlly do understand your nthusiasm for Johnny Weir and for Americans getting a 1,2 result on the podium, I am hoping for a different result. I would love it if Johnny would win, because this year, might be a year to have a shot at it, as there are no contenders from Russsia.

I am going to watch the Russian men ot see how their programs stack up against the others and how they are progressing. I am also interested in the Ice Dance competition.

But like you I will tape the competition and then watch those who interest me and it may be as little as 10% or as much as 70-90 percent depending on who's there. I prefer to cut out the nane chatter and stupid fluff pieces as Dick and Peggy gush about this skater or that, who is probably being coached by a Russian coach. I pefer to watch their performances and see how they stack up, in my subjective minds eye.

I truly do think that if flags are going to be flown at these medal ceremonies then the figure skating should not be so international in its training and shifting around of figure skaters. Rules or no rules I think those rules are wrong, but the game is being played by those rules nevertheless. At least Johnny is honest about his training and his internatioal likes and dislikes and doesn't pretend that he unlike many others do not use, or have used Russian coaches in the past.

I do understnd the needles and pins as I had a tough time watching my daughter perform whether it was in the skating or in the ballet dance.

So now that we are both on needles and pins and hoping for results, let the competition begin and here's hoping for some honest and un-nasty blogging afterwards.

SomeWhere in Georgia

#87 Mar 19, 2007
To those that are concerned, it is nasty blogging now. I hope Johnny "gigi boy wannabe Russian" fails and Plushenko too fails. It will be a dream to watch! I hope that the Russians are far behin; because, they need to be GREATLY HUMBLED!!!

Long Island NY

#88 Mar 19, 2007
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
To Sk8r Girl
Sounds like you are having an exciting life with your figure skating. While I don't think the curent interntionalism in figure skating is right, I do understand figure skaters taking advantage of what isavailable to them. It must be exciting to be runninng in ircles close to the top skatrs of the world even if it is only in the figure skating boots stores. It must give one a shot of adreneline especially conisidering the hisgh cost of figure skating. I do wish you well and a lot of luck in your figure skating career.
While I certainlly do understand your nthusiasm for Johnny Weir and for Americans getting a 1,2 result on the podium, I am hoping for a different result. I would love it if Johnny would win, because this year, might be a year to have a shot at it, as there are no contenders from Russsia.
I am going to watch the Russian men ot see how their programs stack up against the others and how they are progressing. I am also interested in the Ice Dance competition.
But like you I will tape the competition and then watch those who interest me and it may be as little as 10% or as much as 70-90 percent depending on who's there. I prefer to cut out the nane chatter and stupid fluff pieces as Dick and Peggy gush about this skater or that, who is probably being coached by a Russian coach. I pefer to watch their performances and see how they stack up, in my subjective minds eye.
I truly do think that if flags are going to be flown at these medal ceremonies then the figure skating should not be so international in its training and shifting around of figure skaters. Rules or no rules I think those rules are wrong, but the game is being played by those rules nevertheless. At least Johnny is honest about his training and his internatioal likes and dislikes and doesn't pretend that he unlike many others do not use, or have used Russian coaches in the past.
I do understnd the needles and pins as I had a tough time watching my daughter perform whether it was in the skating or in the ballet dance.
So now that we are both on needles and pins and hoping for results, let the competition begin and here's hoping for some honest and un-nasty blogging afterwards.
Let's wait and see.

Somewhere in Colorado

#89 Mar 19, 2007
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
To Sk8rgirl.
Oh boy, THT'S As Peggy fleming is so fond of syaing: "Ice is a SLIPPERY THING."

MY NEW LAPTOP DOESN'T HAVE A DICIONARY INSTALLED BUT THAT IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT PROOF READING. Sorry.

Long Island NY

#90 Mar 19, 2007
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
To Sk8rgirl.
Oh boy, THT'S As Peggy fleming is so fond of syaing: "Ice is a SLIPPERY THING."
MY NEW LAPTOP DOESN'T HAVE A DICIONARY INSTALLED BUT THAT IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT PROOF READING. Sorry.
I am familiar with the adage as well. My fingers slip too at times. It is quite clear that you write well.
Cowboy Joe

Houston, TX

#91 Feb 1, 2010
I'll bet 'ol Dick Button would like to button-hole him at the Olympics.
Solfitara

Bartlesville, OK

#92 Feb 1, 2010
Johnny Weir has many facets to his personality, including a great interest in fashion, music, culture, and languages. He represents an example of American culture at its best because America allows people the freedom to be themselves, to explore and entertain new ideas, and to serve as citizens and ambassadors to the world. He is a self-made, accomplished athlete-artist from a middle-class background who is fluent in Russian and French and living the American dream. I wish the folks who feel so free to criticize Johnny for whatever reason would first strap on a pair of his skates (mocassins) and skate a triple-loop-laden mile.
C-dub

Columbus, IN

#93 Feb 1, 2010
Here's a question....How the heck is Johnny Weir too gay for the "gayest sport" according to stereotypical society? I am not following. Johnny probably doesn't care. He's kinda used to being shunned by the USFSA. He knows the proof is in the pudding. Hopefully he'll win a medal and shut everyone up! It's just that simple.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Weir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Johnny Weir's husband reports the skater to pol... (May '14) May '14 sophiejc1 2
News Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir join Derby hat craze... (May '14) May '14 Stella 12
News PHOTOS: Johnny Weir, fashion iconPHOTOS: Johnny... (May '14) May '14 Angelina 1
News Johnny Weir on Being a White, Gay, Male (Jan '11) Mar '13 amw 3
News Is Johnny Weir Too Gay for 'Stars on Ice'? [Dis... (Mar '10) Jan '13 SLIF 2
Johnny Weir - nude ! (Aug '11) Aug '11 Lorraine 1
News Johnny Weir's 'Ice Dreams' To Benefit Japan Ear... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Sachi 1
More from around the web