Is Johnny Weir Too Gay For Figure Ska...

Is Johnny Weir Too Gay For Figure Skating

There are 93 comments on the A Socialite's Life story from Apr 17, 2006, titled Is Johnny Weir Too Gay For Figure Skating. In it, A Socialite's Life reports that:

Our favorite ice princess isn't getting the loving from the U.S. Figure Skating Association.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at A Socialite's Life.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Anna

Rome, Italy

#1 May 16, 2006
OMG! That's unbelivable! How could they do this to him? He's the best champion america's GOT and they treat him this way? I like Johnny for whatever he is and I've never cared if he was gay or not. I hope the association starts to treat him right because it really is unbelivable.
Stefanya

Longmont, CO

#2 May 24, 2006
I don't know if he is gay. But I do know it's not because of that that they are trying to push him into the background. Rudy Gallindo is not only gay but HIV positive. But he did win a world title and he is still going strong on the professional circuit.

The main reason, they are pushing Johny into the background is because he admires Russians and roots for them to win. He understands the history and he admires how Russians have time and again pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps. Also he wears a USSR warm-up suit given to him by coach Tatiana Tarasova and sometimes he wears a warm up suit with Russia on it.

At least he is not a hypocrite, he not only uses Russian coaches. like many of the skaters do in the world but he appreciates them and admires them. That apparantly is a no-no. Most skaters just use the Russian coaches, but push them into the background.

But they would even forgive him that if he would just win. It's not enough to be a great skater, You have to win and you really can't have a mind of your own. If he admired Germans or Canadians or Italians for example, nobody would think twice. But he has a mind of his own and he likes Russians and they try to muzzle him or push him aside for more "politically correct" skaters.

At an interview during the Champions on Ice Evan Lysachek was quoted to say that Johnny Weir was practicing with the Russian Champions and that "he wants to be a Russian." I guess if he was practicing with Italians it would have been Okay.

Johnny has a lot of good qualities in his skating and when he puts it all together he will win and then his critics will be falling all over themselves to praise him, and say they knew he could do it all along, and forget about all the nasty things they said about him. I hope he does win. In any case the fans have not allowed Johnny to be pushed into the background so far.
mia

Larose, LA

#3 May 25, 2006
Stefanya wrote:
I don't know if he is gay. But I do know it's not because of that that they are trying to push him into the background. Rudy Gallindo is not only gay but HIV positive. But he did win a world title and he is still going strong on the professional circuit.
The main reason, they are pushing Johny into the background is because he admires Russians and roots for them to win. He understands the history and he admires how Russians have time and again pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps. Also he wears a USSR warm-up suit given to him by coach Tatiana Tarasova and sometimes he wears a warm up suit with Russia on it.
At least he is not a hypocrite, he not only uses Russian coaches. like many of the skaters do in the world but he appreciates them and admires them. That apparantly is a no-no. Most skaters just use the Russian coaches, but push them into the background.
But they would even forgive him that if he would just win. It's not enough to be a great skater, You have to win and you really can't have a mind of your own. If he admired Germans or Canadians or Italians for example, nobody would think twice. But he has a mind of his own and he likes Russians and they try to muzzle him or push him aside for more "politically correct" skaters.
At an interview during the Champions on Ice Evan Lysachek was quoted to say that Johnny Weir was practicing with the Russian Champions and that "he wants to be a Russian." I guess if he was practicing with Italians it would have been Okay.
Johnny has a lot of good qualities in his skating and when he puts it all together he will win and then his critics will be falling all over themselves to praise him, and say they knew he could do it all along, and forget about all the nasty things they said about him. I hope he does win. In any case the fans have not allowed Johnny to be pushed into the background so far.
You need to get rid of that huge chip on your shoulder. Everything in skating does not have links with Russia, Russian skaters or Russian coaches. No matter what anyone states, you have found a way to bring Russia into it and make it about you and your feelings and opinions. Get over it.
Amilita

White River Junction, VT

#4 May 25, 2006
Hmmmm... I feel as if Johnny has been excluded more as a statement about his kooky outspokenness rather than his sexual orientation (whatever that may be).

I personally think that Johnny should make history by being the first man to win the national title wearing a skirt!
Stefanya

Granby, CO

#5 May 25, 2006
Apparantly you do not read the articles I do. Johnny has been chided about his views many times. And Russia does have a whole lot to do with it in the skating world especially today, when the coaches are teaching skaters in every part of the world.
In particular with Johnny Weir who openly likes Russians and has stated that he hopes they win it all at the Olympics. His coach is Russian, and he chose this coach because he wanted to "Skate like a Russian" in his own words. Sorry if you don't like my opinions but they are my opinions and I stand by them.
Stefanya

Granby, CO

#6 May 25, 2006
To Amilita,

I agree, he is being excluded for his ideas, according to the many articles I have read. And I admire him for his beliefs as much as I admire his skating. It's refreshing to see anyone, especially a young person think for himself and stick to his beliefs even when under attack by others who disagree.

Neither life, nor this site are a POPULARITY CONTEST. Those worried about POPULARITY in OPINIONS can stick together, and those of us who wish to will stick to our beliefs, opinions and ideals, which no amount of putdowns will change can do so as well, even if we stand alone.
TheSwan

Paris, France

#7 May 28, 2006
Do you known that they are a vote for the best figure skater? You love Johnny, our princess? So, vote for him here: www.voote.com
Carol Hawkins

AOL

#8 Jun 3, 2006
Who cares if Johnny Wier is gay!!?? He isn't the first fine international figure skating star who is. He is a first rate, smooth extremely talented skater.
french woman

Villers-lès-nancy, France

#9 Jun 10, 2006
i am sorry i don't speak english but i love johnny weir und i say his very luck.......bye und bisous (french) une fans de johnny weir
Alia

United States

#10 Aug 17, 2006
I think Johnny is like, the coolest and the most talented figure skater. People should really stop hating on him and get over the fact that he's trying to be his own person!!!!
I'm sure he must be getting sick of it and no one should blame him. After all, he's a human being and deserves to be treated with respect. GOSH!
skatingiswhatcou nts

United States

#11 Sep 4, 2006
Carol Hawkins wrote:
Who cares if Johnny Wier is gay!!?? He isn't the first fine international figure skating star who is. He is a first rate, smooth extremely talented skater.
Right on:)
Stefanya to Russki Van

Denver, CO

#12 Sep 8, 2006
Alia wrote:
I think Johnny is like, the coolest and the most talented figure skater. People should really stop hating on him and get over the fact that he's trying to be his own person!!!!
I'm sure he must be getting sick of it and no one should blame him. After all, he's a human being and deserves to be treated with respect. GOSH!
I AGREE! He has the right to be his own person, and think and feel as he wishes to. He has many great skating qualitities and when he puts them all together it will be WOW! He deserves to be treated with respect as do all human beings.
jacky

Seattle, WA

#13 Sep 11, 2006
johnny weir is totally the best skater in my opinion...who cares what he likes! hes an awsome skater and he writes back his fans! and IF he is gay who cares! dang! its not like their contageous! geez! i love johnnys personality and the figure skating establishment really needs to get over it!
Ashley

Springfield, MA

#14 Sep 16, 2006
First of all this is so stupid.Leave him alone.Johnny Weir is a great skater and a wonderful person.And second who gives anyone the right to say someone is gay if they never said it themselves.If he's gay then he's gay.That doesn't affect what he does on the ice.And I agree with some of the others who commented he's a human being and deserves to be treated with respect.
Maria

Edmonton, Canada

#15 Nov 13, 2006
Stefanya wrote:
Apparantly you do not read the articles I do. Johnny has been chided about his views many times. And Russia does have a whole lot to do with it in the skating world especially today, when the coaches are teaching skaters in every part of the world.
In particular with Johnny Weir who openly likes Russians and has stated that he hopes they win it all at the Olympics. His coach is Russian, and he chose this coach because he wanted to "Skate like a Russian" in his own words. Sorry if you don't like my opinions but they are my opinions and I stand by them.
Stefanya, I apologize for how late I am joining this discussion but I agree with your comments 1000%. Though his sexuality and aesthetic definitely play into why he is continually kept on the periphery by the USFA his admiration of Russian skaters and Russia in general is not gaining him any admirers in the US where it seems, the cold war never ended. More power to Johnny in everything he does. His individuality and fearlessness are an inspiration to all (or at least should be).
icicling

Two Rivers, WI

#16 Nov 13, 2006
I agree with the statement, "Who cares?". Why is it even an issue? Johnny is probably the most amazing skater to ever step on the ice. I can kind of understand why the federation might be 'offended', but there are no excuses for roportedly trying to 'shove him aside'. And to any person who happens to read this who is still mad or angry with Johnny Weir for 'losing America's medal', get over it. In the words of Johnny "Write our President", he's the one who started the war in Iraq, and look at what he got us into.

"Get Weir'd"
Stefanya to Maria

Mead, CO

#17 Nov 13, 2006
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
Stefanya, I apologize for how late I am joining this discussion but I agree with your comments 1000%. Though his sexuality and aesthetic definitely play into why he is continually kept on the periphery by the USFA his admiration of Russian skaters and Russia in general is not gaining him any admirers in the US where it seems, the cold war never ended. More power to Johnny in everything he does. His individuality and fearlessness are an inspiration to all (or at least should be).
Thank you. It is time that people get off the cold war kick of hating Russia and Russians. The cold war is long over and Russian coaches and people from Russia are contributing a lot to the world in many areas expecially skating.

Johnny Weir is a wonderful skater and he will continue to improve and get it all together one day.
It is tiresome and repulsive for people to attach labels to people. Johnny Weir is a great skater and he should be treated with respect and as a person he has the right to be what he is and to admire whatever culture or country he chooses. It does not make him any less a skater or an American.

He should be admired for his individuality as well as his skating and I wish him all the best.
Jean

West Hartford, CT

#18 Nov 14, 2006
Putting Johnny's sexual oriantation aside, he is one of the most brilliant skaters since Brian Boitono!
Look around our society today and see the political figures coming out of the so called "closet"! I don't care which way Johnny slides to, he is one of America's finest skaters and should be treated as such. Oh by the way I am not a young fan that is all gooly eyed over Johnny.... Geesshhh... I am old enough to be his grandmother and if I were I would be very very proud of this young man.
Stefanya

Mead, CO

#19 Nov 14, 2006
Amen.
Montana

United States

#20 Nov 18, 2006
Stefanya wrote:
I, too, am late in agreeing with you. I don't understand for a minute how someone's sexual orientation can become an issue in a country that prides itself on acceptance. He is so talented and I can't remember the last time I heard...oh, and on the ice now is a heterosexual..nor have I heard oh, the Dr. is heterosexual..(wonder if your life were at stake if you would ask if the Dr. happened to be at odds with your lifestyle and 'values')...me, I don't care. What a country! Are people considered too masculine or feminine for their chosen professions whether it be sports or anything else? Recently an out of control fire threatened our state..literally...I couldn't help but ask myself if the firefighters who put their lives on the line were asked by homeowners to provide information about their sexuality, religion, color, race, or creed etc. before they were allowed to save homes and lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Weir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Johnny Weir's husband reports the skater to pol... (May '14) May '14 sophiejc1 2
News Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir join Derby hat craze... (May '14) May '14 Stella 12
News PHOTOS: Johnny Weir, fashion iconPHOTOS: Johnny... (May '14) May '14 Angelina 1
News Johnny Weir on Being a White, Gay, Male (Jan '11) Mar '13 amw 3
News Is Johnny Weir Too Gay for 'Stars on Ice'? [Dis... (Mar '10) Jan '13 SLIF 2
Johnny Weir - nude ! (Aug '11) Aug '11 Lorraine 1
News Johnny Weir's 'Ice Dreams' To Benefit Japan Ear... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Sachi 1
More from around the web