Was Anti-Gay Bias at Work in Men's Figure Skating Decision?

Feb 19, 2010 Full story: EDGEunitedstates.com News Feed 25

Flamboyant skater Johnny Weir fell out of the top tier of competition, taking sixth place in the Men's Figure Skating contest at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver; meantime, two Australian sports announcers known for their laddish banter drew criticism for the homophobic tone of their commentary regarding the sporting event.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mrs_pulchritude

Upland, CA

#1 Feb 19, 2010
I doubt there is an anti-gay bias in the figure skating judging. There have been plenty of gays in figure skating for a lot of years. Johnny Weir was underscored because he has a big mouth and the establishment doesn't like him. I think he had the best long program of the night.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2 Feb 20, 2010
It's the sickly nylon outfits they wear that puts me off..especially if the chest is revealed..nauseating.
He is very camp you have to admit and there really is no need for it..mincing on ice not necessary

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Loved everywhere

#3 Feb 20, 2010
Jules,
have you ever seen no poofters among these skaters yet ?
sorry to say, but 95 % of them are gays.
even their scoring, judging is dubious.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 20, 2010
Pesky army wrote:
Jules,
have you ever seen no poofters among these skaters yet ?
sorry to say, but 95 % of them are gays.
even their scoring, judging is dubious.
:-)):-))

John Curry was a gay British figure skater around when I was little..I knew there was something odd about him even then.


“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Loved everywhere

#5 Feb 20, 2010
as i said, most of them are poofters.
There was this chap in Slovakia called Nepela, he was excellent even won the gold Olympic medal, but died very young, most likely of aids.
Xcuse Me

Fort Bragg, CA

#6 Feb 21, 2010
mrs_pulchritude: judging someone based on what the person does outside of the skating rink is unfair bias, plain and simple. If the judges were influenced as such, shame on them.
JulesJohannes: Really, how can you describe someone that is gay as "odd"? Please, take your arrogant homophobic attitude elsewhere. The world could do better without your brand of hatred.
Pesky army: You think calling gay people "poofters" honestly makes the situation any better? How about if I called you a "breeder"? No, because ALL of us deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
To anyone who is homophobic, stop harming others who are gay with your ignorance and hatred.

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Loved everywhere

#7 Feb 21, 2010
me,

as for me being breeder, i am proud of it.
poofters do not reproduce, therefore they&are odd as mentioned above.
face the facts !
A Gay very happy Bloke

Durham, UK

#8 Feb 21, 2010
Hi ducky,
I couldnt help but notice the arguments here, but if I (as a queer queen) want to go have unlimited and sometimes anonymous sexual adventures (which us poofs are known for) then I damn well will!!!
**struts off in a camp fashion with limp wrist action**

I can't help it if I love to have copious amounts of sex for the hedonistic sake of it and not to reproduce myself - as was Gods intention. YES OK I'm a dirty bugger.
Murray

Sweet Home, OR

#9 Feb 21, 2010
JulesJohannes wrote:
It's the sickly nylon outfits they wear that puts me off..especially if the chest is revealed..nauseating.
He is very camp you have to admit and there really is no need for it..mincing on ice not necessary
Any truth to the rumor that figure skating costume designers
will be designing the hockey team uniforms in Sochi?

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Loved everywhere

#10 Feb 22, 2010
yes, those designers have already singed a contract with the USA team, even the colors were agreed, some say pink was prefered by US.
chupacabra

Ontario, CA

#13 Feb 22, 2010
nothing screams gay like mens figure skating lol
Sheila

Saint Petersburg, FL

#14 Feb 25, 2010
I think all you gay bashers need to get a life. More than likely you have someone in your clan that's gay or you will have. Get over it and get used to it we aren't going anywhere. As for Johnny Weir, as far as i'm concerned he had the best program of the night and deserved to medal. He's super talented and I for one am a huge fan.
Sheila

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15 Feb 25, 2010
Pesky army wrote:
me,
as for me being breeder, i am proud of it.
poofters do not reproduce, therefore they&are odd as mentioned above.
face the facts !
your an idiot - there are many gay people reproducing of both sexes. As for odd we'd rather be odd than exceedingly boring as I'm sure you are.
Bill R

Sweet Home, OR

#16 Feb 26, 2010
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>
your an idiot - there are many gay people reproducing of both sexes. As for odd we'd rather be odd than exceedingly boring as I'm sure you are.
C'mon Sheila, you are just pretending to be a female
fan of guys who get drugged, drunk, or disoritented
enough to believe, you ... in your surely skewed
view of reality ... believe that that anything below
your waist matters to humanity. It doesn't. Not
in the least.
Bill R

Sweet Home, OR

#17 Feb 26, 2010
Sorry for the redundancy in the world of Topix,
but Sheila needs to get a grip and realize just how
weary we are of the peculiar pretending to be
normal. In the real of abnormal psychology the
Johnny Weirs of this world are "normal abnormalities." As such he is relegated to Case
Study #.... a curiosity in the already peculair
world of male figure skaters.

Don't cry for him. He'll sign a contract that
will provide for ... well, himself and the
promoters that are parasites in his journey into
the world of metrosexualilty.
Zardoz

Tulsa, OK

#18 Feb 26, 2010
mrs_pulchritude wrote:
There have been plenty of gays in figure skating for a lot of years. Johnny Weir was underscored because he has a big mouth
A nice big pretty mouth...

I love Australia, I love a country where it's still ok to laugh at prancing, mincing, faggotts.
Karl

Australia

#19 Feb 26, 2010
Australians are the most heavily tattoed people i have ever seen,usless at winter sports,great at beer drinking,showing there tatt's and making ass's of themselves when overseas's.
Closet Salesman

Durham, UK

#20 Feb 26, 2010
Exactly, we'll put them right back into the closet!
Closet Salesman

Durham, UK

#21 Feb 26, 2010
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>
your an idiot - there are many gay people reproducing of both sexes. As for odd we'd rather be odd than exceedingly boring as I'm sure you are.
homosexuals+lezzas should NOT be allowed to 'father' and 'mother' children.
It's an abnormal situation. Daddy and daddy snogging on the sofa..mammy and mammy having a session in the bedroom, it isn't natural, at least not for regular children to see.
When they grow up they won't see man + women relationships as normal but abnormal..NOT RIGHT!!
Interested Observer

Canada

#22 Mar 1, 2010
mrs_pulchritude wrote:
I doubt there is an anti-gay bias in the figure skating judging. There have been plenty of gays in figure skating for a lot of years. Johnny Weir was underscored because he has a big mouth and the establishment doesn't like him. I think he had the best long program of the night.
You're right, there is no antigay bias in figure skating.
You're wrong however to say that Weir was underscored.
His performance was a joy to watch, but his technical components were not nearly as difficult as those who placed ahead of him.

The evening rightfully belonged to Evan, his was the skate of the night, and Plushenko had better go back to basics, if he intends to compete in Sochi.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Weir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Johnny Weir's husband reports the skater to pol... (May '14) May '14 sophiejc1 2
Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir join Derby hat craze... (May '14) May '14 Stella 12
PHOTOS: Johnny Weir, fashion iconPHOTOS: Johnny... (May '14) May '14 Angelina 1
Johnny Weir on Being a White, Gay, Male (Jan '11) Mar '13 amw 3
Is Johnny Weir Too Gay for 'Stars on Ice'? [Dis... (Mar '10) Jan '13 SLIF 2
Johnny Weir - nude ! (Aug '11) Aug '11 Lorraine 1
Johnny Weir's 'Ice Dreams' To Benefit Japan Ear... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Sachi 1
More from around the web