Got ice? (VIDEO)

Got ice? (VIDEO)

There are 8 comments on the GoErie.com story from Jan 15, 2009, titled Got ice? (VIDEO). In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Figure skater Olivia Bielak, 12, of Erie, skates at JMC Ice Arena during practice with the Westminster Figure Skating Club of Erie on Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Brigitta Francoeur

Akron, OH

#1 Jan 15, 2009
more and better:I have been a figure skating coach for 15 years and have traveled to dozens of ice rinks with my students in the 160 mile radius of Erie. It is clearly obvious that our local amateur training rinks are aging and sub-standard. Yes we need a modern multi ice rink facility like most competing markets As soon as possible.

Brigitta Francoeur
Debra

Erie, PA

#2 Jan 15, 2009
There does need to be more ice, but also public suport to ofset the high cost of ice. Competition skating is expensive, but rewarding.
Tax Payer

Ashtabula, OH

#5 Jan 15, 2009
Keep dreaming! Go back to Canada.
gracie

United States

#6 Jan 15, 2009
The are areas of the state and areas across the country that do not have an ice rink any closer than 200-300 miles. Be lucky that the ones that are available are here.
Competative figure skating is a costly sport not many in the Erie area can afford, and the taxpayers cannot afford to support it in the state of the economy.
Most of us are more concerned about putting food on our tables and keeping our jobs. If you are able to afford to skate, rent ice,own 200 dollar + figure skates, spend thousands on costumes, thousands on travel and sanctioning/membership fees you are certainly much better off than the majority of us; so count your blessings.
skeptical

Ashtabula, OH

#7 Jan 15, 2009
Well put Gracie. As a taxper and long time observer of "public/private" projects (Koehler Brewery Project, Parade street grocery store, tires to energy, etc., etc.), pardon me for being skeptical of this project.

My skeptism would be greatly reduced if you could answer a few simple questions.

1. I assume you are married to the Dan Francouer who is searching for tax payer subsidies to fund the rink he is trying to build (see story next to this one). If so, will you, he and his building company agree to have no part in any phase of the construction of this facility?

2. Will and your husband agree to receive absolutely no pay from the development of the project or during its operations?

3. Will you disclose the amount of your own private investment in this project?

4. Will you and any other private backers personally guarantee the debt?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated by all of us who will be asked to foot the bill.
skeptical

Ashtabula, OH

#9 Jan 16, 2009
Still waiting for answers. What a surprise.
Dan

Canton, OH

#10 Apr 5, 2009
Hello Skeptical, FYI, It takes a lot of work, time, efforts, dedication and personal funds to research and develope a business plan. Then you have to present it to local politicians and skating organizations. You have to find funding sources and conduct market studies. A building concept have to be developed and designs drawned. Programs and marketting plans have to be developed and put in placed. The list go on and on. These facilities create many jobs but mainly, they provide an essential civic service to residents in many communities, youth, adults and athletes. Erie has come a long way in the last 20 years and this is a part that I actually can help contribute to make Erie a better place for us all. This facility would be capable of hosting large regional tournaments and attract thousands of visitors each year to our area. It would also greatly and positively impact our local economy. To answer your questions, the tax payers that actualy pay tax can affort to skate and enroll their children in skating. It is a great and beneficial sport.
Brigitta

Canton, OH

#13 Apr 6, 2009
To address " taxpayer", I'm not from Canada. Born and raised in Erie. However, I did have to leave Erie to train in top facilities in other parts of the country. Do to lack of ice time! I have travelled the world and chose to come back to Erie because I think it is a great place to live. Erie has SO MUCH potential and has come a long way. But there is always room for improvement. The arenas we have in town don't even come close to facilities in other cities. If I had stayed in Erie ( and not gone elsewhere to train ) I would never have accomplished what I have. Its a shame I had to leave. We are in a unique area of the country where we are surrounded by large hockey leagues and figure skating clubs, but they don't come here, we have to go there. What does that say about Erie?? We can change that. For those of you out there reading this, don't assume the worst. Try taking a positive outlook. Ignorance won't get you anything. Don't assume what you don't know. This is a huge undertaking, labor of love so to speak. And to you " skeptical " , do you do your job for free????!! Hmmm??? I don't know too many people who have that luxury.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Competitive Skating Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Skating club offers new power skating program (Sep '11) Jul 22 SkatePhartse 5
News Figure Skating Trainer Charged With Sex Abuse (Feb '08) May '17 HeardPhartz 31
News US figure skating darling makes racist tweet, a... (Nov '13) Jan '17 SeedPharts 34
News To some, Lehigh Valley charter school's ice ska... (Jan '09) Nov '16 Lvpaskater 166
News Was Alberta trip necessary now (Jun '10) Oct '16 Tory 9
News Skater Cha Jun-hwan Secures Berth for Junior Gr... (Oct '16) Oct '16 gjjghjk 1
News New Georgetown arenas break the ice Sunday (Sep '13) Mar '16 Easter wknd 3
More from around the web