Much-Hyped $ettlement $till Allows ME...

Much-Hyped $ettlement $till Allows MEGAbanks 2 $teal Homes!

Posted in the San Francisco Forum

OCCUPYusa

Atlanta, GA

#1 May 29, 2013
The absolute least Americans can hope for from a major government settlement with a large industry over well-documented crimes is that the industry wouldnít, after signing the settlement, just continue to commit the same crimes day after day. After all, following the tobacco industry settlement, cigarette makers did manage to stop advertising to teenagers that their product had no medical side effects.

But new evidence reveals the nationís largest banks have apparently continued to fabricate documents, rip off customers and illegally kick people out of their homes, even after inking a series of settlements over the same abuses. And the worst part of it all is that the main settlement over foreclosure fraud was so weakly written that it actually allows such criminal conduct to occur, at least up to a certain threshold. Potentially hundreds of thousands of homes could be effectively stolen by the big banks without any sanctions.

Before I get into the reasons why, let me step back. It is a sad fact of modern life and the foreclosure mess that I have to differentiate between the litany of settlements granted by the government to the big banks. In this instance, Iím talking about the National Mortgage Settlement, the $25 billion deal concluded a year ago between 49 state attorneys general, federal agencies like the Justice Department and the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the five largest mortgage servicers: Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citi and GMAC/Ally Bank. Under the settlement, banks pay a trifling amount in hard dollars to the states as well as foreclosure victims, and provide principal reductions and other loan modifications to struggling borrowers. They also agreed to comply with a broad set of servicing standards for the time period of the settlement, covering three years.

Most of the focus has been on the principal reductions, and whether the banks are actually accomplishing them for the benefit of homeowners. But itís these servicing standards that are being violated. Thatís the inescapable conclusion of new evidence disclosed by the Center for Investigative Reporting and NBC Bay Area. Focusing on mortgage documents and foreclosures in the San Francisco region, they found that ďbanks and their subsidiaries continue to file invalid documents and foreclose on properties to which they appear to have no legal right. www.salon.com/2013/05/02/the_foreclosure_frau...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Francisco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maxine Wayers 6 hr LOONS DESTROY 11
News Up to 4,000 in Napa took part in this yeara s W... 6 hr beanbag 1
Dems Shutdown govt for illegals 7 hr papa 4
News The Latest: California senators want details on... 19 hr TRUMP 45 3
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 19 hr Giant fan 61,394
Review: San Francisco 49ers 21 hr San Francisco 49ers 1
Review: San Francisco Giants 21 hr San Francisco Giants 1

San Francisco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance