Museum of the History of Polish Jews to Hold Historic First Preview...

There are 7 comments on the GlobeNewswire story from Feb 25, 2013, titled Museum of the History of Polish Jews to Hold Historic First Preview.... In it, GlobeNewswire reports that:

On the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, on the site where the Ghetto once stood, a major new cultural institution will open its doors for theA first time.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GlobeNewswire.

Tim Upham

Nine Mile Falls, WA

#1 Feb 25, 2013
When I was in Poland, they announced that they were going to build that museum. Poland has a deep fascination with its Jewish past. Krakow is basically an outdoor museum on Jewish culture, and international Jewish events are held there all of the time. The same in Lublin, where they have rebuilt the famous Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva. American rabbis have been going to Poland to instruct the cultural renaissance, where the large Jewish population is gone, but it is being participated in by tourists and non-Jewish Poles.

“Been to Polakia...”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 25, 2013
I kept saying, that polaks are jewhs...
Tim Upham

Nine Mile Falls, WA

#4 Feb 26, 2013
Atasas wrote:
I kept saying, that polaks are jewhs...
I really admire the Poles, with how they rebuilt the city of Warsaw after it was completely flattened after the Polish Home Army rebellion in 1944. After the war, the Poles said we cannot have Warsaw as our capital, there is nothing there. But the Poles meticulously rebuilt the city, and made it their capital again. But the sad thing about after the war, is that 90% of Poland's Jewish was gone.

“Been to Polakia...”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5 Feb 27, 2013
Lately Varsuva looks like dump and I'm not aware of war to be had there..
Tim Upham

Nine Mile Falls, WA

#6 Feb 27, 2013
Atasas wrote:
Lately Varsuva looks like dump and I'm not aware of war to be had there..
In Polish, it is called "Warszawa," and it sure did not look like a dump when I saw it. Why the skyscrapers were not high enough?
Amon

Hanover, PA

#7 Feb 27, 2013
Six hundred years ago when elsewhere they were footing the blame for the Black Death, Casimir the Great - so called - told the Jews they could come to Krakow. They came. They trundled their belongings into the city. They settled. They took hold. They prospered in business, science, education, the arts. With nothing they came and with nothing they flourished. For six centuries there has been a Jewish Krakow. By this evening those six centuries will be a rumor. They never happened. Today is history.
Tim Upham

Nine Mile Falls, WA

#8 Feb 27, 2013
Amon wrote:
Six hundred years ago when elsewhere they were footing the blame for the Black Death, Casimir the Great - so called - told the Jews they could come to Krakow. They came. They trundled their belongings into the city. They settled. They took hold. They prospered in business, science, education, the arts. With nothing they came and with nothing they flourished. For six centuries there has been a Jewish Krakow. By this evening those six centuries will be a rumor. They never happened. Today is history.
After the Mongol invasion, Central Europe was in ruins. So royal edicts were issued for foreigners from the West to come in and rebuild their devastated lands. Casimir the Great invited the Jews in, because it was against the Christian religion to practice usury, and also you had take a Christian oath to join a guild. So Jews formed their own guilds, and one of them was money lending. The Rothschilds family are descendants from the medieval Jewish money lenders. But also, Italians came in and started to mint the coins. Hungary's currency is called "florint," it is Hungarian for "Florence," because they came from the city-state of Florence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Francisco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 14 min Enya 19,893
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 5 hr Belle Sexton 59,654
News Drive a Car in Oakland? Your Movements Are Bein... 8 hr RiccardoFire 5
Parents, warn children about Homosexual perverts. 10 hr New Perspective 2
News Al Gore: "I Could Become Catholic Because of Th... 10 hr Nope Much More 12
San Francisco is the Richest City in the USA 2015 10 hr Nope Much More 7
News The Great California Train Shortage May 3 Taxes 5
More from around the web

San Francisco People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]