Poll: Should Hetch Hetchy Reservoir Be Drained?

Jul 14, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Patch.com

A The San Francisco Chronicle calls the idea "insane." The proposal: a November ballot measure that would ultimately, if passed, move us closer to the idea of draining the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir in Yosemite National Park.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2012
vern

Berlin, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

It was a big mistake to build the Hetch Hetchy reservoir in the first place, but now the valley is gone. It will never be the valley it has been before, at least not in the foreseeable future.
It has been the bottom of a lake for a long time.
I would rather leave it now as it is and spend the money on alternative energy production / desalination. That would help conserving the environment at other places which are still intact.
A new Hetch Hetchy would be like a Disney Theme park.
Bird

Whitmore Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

It would take a some time for sediment etc to wash off of the valley rocks and valley floor. It would take some time for plants and trees to re-inhabit the area. Most people wouldn't want to visit such a place. During this time, put together a plan to keep the valley simple and uncrowded while the reclaimation process takes hold. Make any campgrounds very small, and keep any gift shops etc out. It will be popular for a while, but I'm guessing the masses will once again return to Yosemite and leave Hetch Hetchy alone.

I get what you are saying about the crowds, though. That's why I spend so much time in Kings Canyon when I visit the Sierras, instead of Yosemite. I visit Yosemite at least once, but spend the majority of my time in Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Less crowds to beat.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the San Francisco Forum right now

Search the San Francisco Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 22 min Tomeeka 52,192
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 31 min anti-cop 15,912
Chick-fil-A Vallejo Location Faces Opposition 3 hr WasteWater 145
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Barbi 200,327
Moving to The Tenderloin 18 hr SF Lurker 2
California man posed as cop to rape Central Ame... 23 hr ronnie 5
Snoopy-49er (Feb '13) Wed Minnahh 2
•••
•••

San Francisco News Video

•••
San Francisco Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

San Francisco Jobs