Papa Joe

Rome, Italy

#1 Jan 23, 2013
Hi guys, the company i work for offers me a job in SF, 100K gross / year, and i have wife and 2 girls school age (elementary). We are coming from Italy and we dont know except that we visited SF as tourist and we love it, but living there is something else. How much do we spend for the kids school and for a decent rent e.g. 3 bed room flat in the city? Is 100K a good salary in SF or is rather an average and more convenient to move to Oakland or somewhere south in the bay area instead?
I appreciate your suggestions and advises. Thank-you!!!
Junkies are sad m-kay

Cantonment, FL

#2 Jan 23, 2013
it's expenseive, hoss
Papa Joe wrote:
Hi guys, the company i work for offers me a job in SF, 100K gross / year, and i have wife and 2 girls school age (elementary). We are coming from Italy and we dont know except that we visited SF as tourist and we love it, but living there is something else. How much do we spend for the kids school and for a decent rent e.g. 3 bed room flat in the city? Is 100K a good salary in SF or is rather an average and more convenient to move to Oakland or somewhere south in the bay area instead?
The Stinker

Murray, KY

#3 Jan 23, 2013
Papa Joe wrote:
You're better off stsying in Italy. The crime rate in SF is high and the taxes in California will make you a poor man.
John

Troy, VA

#4 Jan 24, 2013
Your daughters will turn lezzie and your wife will leave with a gay man.
Dominick

Shippensburg, PA

#5 Jan 24, 2013
Papa Joe wrote:
DON'T DO IT!!! The San Francisco locals are prejudiced towards Italians. They stereotype us as La Cosa Nostra or as Dumb Guidos. Consider moving to Bensonhurst in NYC or anywhere along the Jersey Shore.
Papa Joe

London, UK

#6 Jan 25, 2013
Dominick wrote:
<quoted text>
DON'T DO IT!!! The San Francisco locals are prejudiced towards Italians. They stereotype us as La Cosa Nostra or as Dumb Guidos. Consider moving to Bensonhurst in NYC or anywhere along the Jersey Shore.
The east coast I know (also as tourist) but to me San Fran seemed more open minded as any other place in the US. I have opportunity in NYC, we'd prefer to live in smaller cities and doesnt mean we live there forever its an experience to live / work once in CA. I studied in San Diego and there you need a car for everything to buy food, to go to the movies etc anywhere you go, you need a car. People in CA are more easygoing / relaxed in comparison to the east coast dont you agree?
Papa Joe

London, UK

#7 Jan 25, 2013
John wrote:
Your daughters will turn lezzie and your wife will leave with a gay man.
oh common I understand you want to warn me, and i know that SF has the highest intensity of gays but who cares... they are people as others. I'm pro gay...anyway
Grids

York Springs, PA

#8 Jan 25, 2013
An airborne version of the AIDS virus constantly hovers over San Francisco so if you aren't planning on wearing a hazmat suit 24/7 then I suggest you find a different city to reside in.
The Stinker

Murray, KY

#9 Jan 25, 2013
Papa Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
oh common I understand you want to warn me, and i know that SF has the highest intensity of gays but who cares... they are people as others. I'm pro gay...anyway
If you're going to move to Frisco, I advice to you is not to sleep on your stomach.
Bay Area

Pleasanton, CA

#10 Mar 2, 2013
100K is a decent and livable salary for a family like yours, however living inside SF proper might be difficult.
There are many good suburbs close to the city that are very affordable. Look in San Mateo, San Carlos, Menlo Park.

Have your wife look for a small job in the school district where your kids will go to supplement family income.
Mona Fartoosh

Napa, CA

#11 Mar 2, 2013
Welcome to SF. I have been here for 23 years. Best idea I ever had came from harsh sentencing in Smyrna court. I scrammed from that and am come here. Now own 4 apartments and liquor store. Folks here love selling religion and guns; always yakking about god, this, god, that and waving weaponed arms. They destroy the whole institution just so they can re-package and then sell it off bit by bit. Fun to watch.

Since: Mar 16

Manassas, VA

#12 Apr 8, 2016
I'm in love with SF .This city breathes freedom and tolerance.Live in San Francisco harder than in Silicon Valley. Housing prices there are higher, but its area is usually less, and the house itself - older. By the way in San Francisco different services work perfectly, for example, we moved from our apartment to a 3 bedroom house and hired http://sfbayareamoving.com/ . Excellent experience! I have to say we couldn't be happier with the service we received.
Peter, Michael and Julian arrived on time, prepared, and were so friendly and polite. They took a great care of our things. They didn't stand around talking or wasting time they were on the ball the whole time. All of our stuff was transported and set up properly with no damage. Very professional.
Gaytown CA

Carlisle, PA

#13 Apr 13, 2016
Papa Joe wrote:
The Tenderloin is a real nice area of SF to live in. The main issue with SF is that you're probably gonna die in an earthquake or from AIDS/GRIDS but if those kinds of things don't worry you then should be good. Also be aware of the many Smug Alerts too.

Since: Jan 16

#14 Apr 20, 2016
Papa Joe wrote:
you need to make 250 k just to be coffterble here with 2 kids. Rent for a 2 bedroom is $5000 or more.

#15 Apr 20, 2016
Women that want to talk about sexy fun

#16 Apr 21, 2016
Papa Joe wrote:
<quoted text>

your soo right people are so good here. You will love it if you can afford the rents. It's a beautiful and nice city. Lived here for over 21 years. People are very friendly and helpful.
pgh

Greensburg, PA

#17 Apr 24, 2016
Be sure to wear a flower in your hair.
Herodian

Manassas, VA

#19 May 23, 2016
I'm in love with SF .This city breathes freedom and tolerance.Live in San Francisco harder than in Silicon Valley. Housing prices there are higher, but its area is usually less, and the house itself - older. By the way in San Francisco different services work perfectly, for example, we moved from our apartment to a 3 bedroom house and hired http://sfbayareamoving.com/ . Excellent experience! I have to say we couldn't be happier with the service we received.
Peter, Michael and Julian arrived on time, prepared, and were so friendly and polite. They took a great care of our things. They didn't stand around talking or wasting time they were on the ball the whole time. All of our stuff was transported and set up properly with no damage. Very professional.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Francisco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Matthew Muller pleads guilty in bizarre Vallejo... 42 min Knock off purse s... 4
sex 1 hr Alena 1
Gabrielangelo 18 hr anonymous 119
News Critics say Wells Fargo CEO should forfeit more... Wed Xstain Mullah Fra... 1
News San Francisco man held to answer in alleged Fai... Wed trumplfourever 2
Who Wrote the Enema Article on Guess Who? Sep 27 stop resisting 1
trump a disgrace Sep 27 luella parssssonz 2

San Francisco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Francisco Mortgages