Choir leader found guilty of rape

Choir leader found guilty of rape

There are 59 comments on the Seattle Times story from Jan 26, 2007, titled Choir leader found guilty of rape. In it, Seattle Times reports that:

Antwoine Parmer is taken into custody in King County Superior Court on Thursday after a jury found him guilty of child rape.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Seattle Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
RMS

Kent, WA

#1 Jan 27, 2007
Antwoine was a great leader in our community. He was like a dad to most of us and he did a lot to help us achieve our goals and build our self esteem I can't believe the boy (unamed) would say these things about Antwoine. Antwoine has been nothing but good to us all. I joined his Choir when I was about 15 and the choir has left nothing but positivity in my life. I wish hime well where ever he is and I know God will reveal all truths. And Antwoine is innoncent which I do believe, the unmaed kid should be sent to prision for life right next to his mom.
Truth And Justice

Tacoma, WA

#2 Jan 27, 2007
RMS wrote:
Antwoine was a great leader in our community. He was like a dad to most of us and he did a lot to help us achieve our goals and build our self esteem I can't believe the boy (unamed) would say these things about Antwoine. Antwoine has been nothing but good to us all. I joined his Choir when I was about 15 and the choir has left nothing but positivity in my life. I wish hime well where ever he is and I know God will reveal all truths. And Antwoine is innoncent which I do believe, the unmaed kid should be sent to prision for life right next to his mom.
Basically what you are saying is that Antwoine did not have a fair trial. I don't know all of the facts, but I do know that many of the youth in that choir were struggling with homosexuality. Homosexuality seems to be a popular stronghold in the christian community these days. Many of Antwoine's acquaintances were known gays. I want to say that if Antwoine is innocent then it's a shame that individuals would lie to basically get him locked behind bars. It's unfortunate that the same crime that he was convicted for will be done to him behind bars. However, if Antwoine is guilty as charged, what is going to be done to help the innocent children who's lives have been affected? It seems that no one really cares that so many young black males are getting turned out. It's sad that most of the blck church role models are gay or bisexual... We need to pray against the enemies agenda to destroy God's people and His church. Homosexuality is an abomination in the sight of God. Gay marriage is against the will of God. God will never accept it no matter what laws are put into place! May the real men step up to rescue the young men! Amen
Crystal Williams

Bellevue, WA

#3 Jan 28, 2007
Hi, i am a current member of SHADES and very influenced by antione and all that he's done for every kid in SHADES...What antione does for us is treat us with the utmost respect. He tries to bestow his knowledge upon us, how too live our lives right, but not tellin us jus letting us know we have someone if we need it. He gives the most troubled,or inner city kids,or kid's like me who need a place to be safe being meself, and now that he's be covicted of a crime he did not commit, alot of us are missing that safety and scecurity that we got out of him. The charges placed against antione makes no sense and anyone who know's antione know's somthing as crazy as raping a child doesn't even posses in this man's mind... And still while all of us who love him are angry and sad, he is still strong in his faith and refuses to say anything bad about the person who accused him of the hanious crime. Antione parmer is a great man and has done so much for the community, his family, his chior, and so much for me personally, he gave me a voice so i could sing, and helped me find who i truly am, and helped me grow as a person...We all love you Antione and we won't let this happen, you have too many people who won't sit down and take it. You have us 110% behind you! to god we pray help this man, your son, help him get through it and help us be strong for him so the things will come out right, like we know you will do in the lord's naame we pray AMEN!
Ms V

San Ramon, CA

#4 Feb 8, 2007
Antoine is my 1st cousin and I must say that I am outraged to find out that this is happening to him. I don't believe the charges and I believe his accuser is a liar and so is his mother!! Antwoine is a good man and if you know him, you know this is not something he would do. Why would it take someone so long to bring this to light? And where is the proof? I think that all too often, when someone gets upset and tries to hurt someone, they immediately start making false allegations and then say it happened years ago!! Yeah right!! Once all is said and done and Antwoine is vindicated, his accuser and his mama should be thrown UNDER the jail!!!!
D Lawman

Stow, OH

#5 Mar 2, 2007
Truth And Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically what you are saying is that Antwoine did not have a fair trial. I don't know all of the facts, but I do know that many of the youth in that choir were struggling with homosexuality. Homosexuality seems to be a popular stronghold in the christian community these days. Many of Antwoine's acquaintances were known gays. I want to say that if Antwoine is innocent then it's a shame that individuals would lie to basically get him locked behind bars. It's unfortunate that the same crime that he was convicted for will be done to him behind bars. However, if Antwoine is guilty as charged, what is going to be done to help the innocent children who's lives have been affected? It seems that no one really cares that so many young black males are getting turned out. It's sad that most of the blck church role models are gay or bisexual... We need to pray against the enemies agenda to destroy God's people and His church. Homosexuality is an abomination in the sight of God. Gay marriage is against the will of God. God will never accept it no matter what laws are put into place! May the real men step up to rescue the young men! Amen
Whats amazing is the way that everyone seems to be tipping around the flaming teenage homosexuality that continues to come out of not only SHADES but other seattle groups. With the continued support of teenage homosexuality with SHADES it was only a matter of time before something of this nature was exposed. Sooner or later if you continue to produce gay young men someone is bound to connect you to one of them. What isnt mentioned here is that this is not the first time Antwoine Parmer has been accused of having sex with male members of SHADES, is everyone lying on him?
The dance group Kuttin Up is another example of the production of teenage homosexuality, Greenwood Drill Team, Michele Lang & Stillwater, are all examples of groups that support and produce teenage homosexuality under the pretense of youth mentoring. What is their fascination with homosexual teenagers? Maybe if the likes of supposed leaders like Dwayne, Michele, Corey, William, and yes Antwoine would do some inner searching and be honest about their own sexuality maybe then they can really help. If the mentors are confused its no wonder the teenagers end up confused.
When are people going to start to question why homosexual teenagers confused about their sexuality love hanging around these supposed youth mentors? They are having sleepovers with confused teenagers and sharing beds. Calling this young man a liar is an easy way to shift blame but everyone cant be lying, can they?
BEM

United States

#6 Mar 12, 2007
I knew Antoine well and attended church with him and his wife. I also worked with him on some ministry related stuff while I lived in Seattle. I got to know him and his wife very well. I am so surprised that this has happened. Antoine seemed to really love the kids and the work he did with them. He did spend a lot time with the kids- both boys and girls. But it never seemed that there was anything out of sorts going on. I guess one passage that comes to mind is" don't let your good be spoken evil of"... meaning that even the very fact that Antoine spent so much time with the kids after SHADES stuff was the very thing that was used to corraborate this allegeation against. I am sure that he thought by spending time with the kids that he was showing them how to live for God and still be real and I feel he was trying to be a role model. I don't know whether this is true or not...only God know. But my prayers are really now for Dina and the their 3 children who will not have their father around for a few years.
Ms V

Oakland, CA

#7 Mar 17, 2007
D Lawman wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats amazing is the way that everyone seems to be tipping around the flaming teenage homosexuality that continues to come out of not only SHADES but other seattle groups. With the continued support of teenage homosexuality with SHADES it was only a matter of time before something of this nature was exposed. Sooner or later if you continue to produce gay young men someone is bound to connect you to one of them. What isnt mentioned here is that this is not the first time Antwoine Parmer has been accused of having sex with male members of SHADES, is everyone lying on him?
The dance group Kuttin Up is another example of the production of teenage homosexuality, Greenwood Drill Team, Michele Lang & Stillwater, are all examples of groups that support and produce teenage homosexuality under the pretense of youth mentoring. What is their fascination with homosexual teenagers? Maybe if the likes of supposed leaders like Dwayne, Michele, Corey, William, and yes Antwoine would do some inner searching and be honest about their own sexuality maybe then they can really help. If the mentors are confused its no wonder the teenagers end up confused.
When are people going to start to question why homosexual teenagers confused about their sexuality love hanging around these supposed youth mentors? They are having sleepovers with confused teenagers and sharing beds. Calling this young man a liar is an easy way to shift blame but everyone cant be lying, can they?
1st of all, no one is "producing" gay and young men as you say. No I don't believe in the homosexuality lifestyle but it is obvious that homosexuality still exists and those that do believe in that lifestyle still need a church to go to, a choir to sing in, and someone to accept them, love them, and let them know that Jesus SAVES and that they can turn their lives around. That is what Antwoine did; he didn't turn his back on any of them whether they were gay or not. Yes I believe some of them are confused but that doesn't mean they should be accepted into something like a choir. And remember, the two other boys that "accused" Antwoine did not pursue their accusations and take it to trial so ummmm....was that a made up story; were they afraid that the real truth would come out that they were lying. So you consider "EVERYONE" these two other boys whose accusations were dropped and this one boy who has Antwoine in jail now? Now if the whole choir was saying that this is the way Antwoine was then I would have to say ok "EVERYONE" but these 3 do not fall into the category of "EVERYONE". And about shifting blame, I doubt you would be saying that if it were you or your family member. Tomorrow, YOU could be accused of such a crime and it all would depend on who believed whom wouldn't it? So before you go passing judgement on teenagers, homosexual teens, or Antwoine, think about how you would feel if someone accused you of something just because of your affiliation with them. I don't think you would be so quick to judge!!!
Seattle Bug

Spokane, WA

#8 Mar 18, 2007
Just pray ya'll just pray! Truth and justice always prevail and in the end God will get the glory. The truth will be revealed on earth or in heaven. No weapon form against us shall prosper. If Antwoine is innocent I pray his strenght in the Lord, if he is guilty, he must do his time. It would have been nice if he had submitted to a lie detector test and if his lawyer did not try to say the sex was consenual at his sentencing.
JERMELL

Kent, WA

#9 Mar 19, 2007
Truth And Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
I DO KNOW FOR WHO EVER THIS IS THAT MAYBE YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT YOURSELF AND FIGURE OUT THATYOUR ON A SLOW FALL TO HELL ......LET GOD BRING SOME OF YOUR DIRTY WORK OUT........SP KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.........AND I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE
JERMELL

Kent, WA

#10 Mar 19, 2007
ALL I KNOW IS THAT KRISES MOM IS A LIAR AND WILL BE JUDGES ACCORDINGLY...AS WELL AS KRIS....THEY BOTH ARE LIARS SO ALL LIARS GO WHERE?????????UMMM TO HELL...AND HOW ABOUT THE CHURCH PEOPLE WHO DECIDE THEY WANT TO LEAVE ALL THSE NEGITIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THE YOUTH PRAY FOR THEM,,,MIND YOU I SAID CHURCH PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY AINT SAVED...BECAUSE GOD DIDNT CONDEM BUT BUILT UP.......THE PURPOSE OF SERVING GOD IS TO DRAW OTHERS TO HIM MAYBE SOME PEOPLE SHOULD THING ABOUT HOW STRONG THERE SALVATION IS.....WELL PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT
Hmmmm- the production of

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Mar 20, 2007
1. How do you PRODUCE homosexuals? You have given a lot of power to some leaders in our community!
2. He has never been accused of having sex with other choir members. AND one of those brothers was caught in a lie on the stand! AND the police thought it was unfounded.
3. Is supporting and accepting teens... who may be sexually confused wrong? If no one mentors, listens to, works with, trains, etc... kids that may be confused about their sexual identity or who are outright gay ... the homosexual community will welcome them with open arms! Is it wrong of christians to associate with them?
4. The alleged victim told his mom in the same conversation that he was gay that he and Antwoine had a supposed relationship. She didn't do anything for 9 months and even then wrote a letter to one of his jobs, never contacted the police ...did she believe it? Probably not! And he did not tell her about the other people he had been in relationship with before he had ever got involved in the choir. Why blame Antwoine?
5. Are all of the hundreds of other youth that Antwoine worked with that said he has never touched them, had sex with them, or had anykind of inappropriate conversations lying?
6. The accuser changed his story from what he told the police, to what he said on the stand.
7. His one witness said the supposed sex happened in ATLANTA - not Seattle. They contradicted eachother on the stand.
8. One of the jurors even wrote the judge a letter talking about the inconsitencies in the testimony of the accuser, his mother and his witness! They were not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt and now it is too late!
9. What are YOU doing to help the your community? You seem to be more than willing to point a finger at those who are trying to give young people a positive outlet.
10. Only God, Chris and Antwoine know the truth but if you look at the fruit of the work that is being done by Antwoine and the other leaders you mentioned... this is not the fruit of their work.
D Lawman wrote:
<quoted text>
just the facts

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Mar 20, 2007
He had told his lawyer he was willing to submit to a lie detector test AND his lawyer completely misrepresented him at sentencing. He hung him out! He completely contradicted Antwoine and his stand that he did not do it. And of course that is what the paper will write about - making it look like he confesed to it!
If he was guilty and he had admitted to it- he could have been out in a couple more months but he refused to take a deal. He said he will fight for the truth!
Seattle Bug wrote:
Just pray ya'll just pray! Truth and justice always prevail and in the end God will get the glory. The truth will be revealed on earth or in heaven. No weapon form against us shall prosper. If Antwoine is innocent I pray his strenght in the Lord, if he is guilty, he must do his time. It would have been nice if he had submitted to a lie detector test and if his lawyer did not try to say the sex was consenual at his sentencing.
Hmmmm- the production of

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Mar 20, 2007
1. How do you produce homosexuals? You are putting a lot on the leaders you mentioned! Do you mean the accepted kids who may have been gay or the mentored them? If the christians aren't supposed to talk to them or allow them to join the groups- who is supposed to? The homosexual community will open them with open arms!
2. The other two boys- one got caught in a lie on the stand! What about the hundreds of other boys who had spent the night and said Antwoine has never done a thing - is "everyone" lying?
3. The only reason this boys homosexuality has been talked about is because the same conversation he told his mom he was gay is the same conversation he said he had this "relationship" with Antwoine! Convenient! What about the other people he had been with before he ever got in the choir... failed to mention them!
4. You want to do finger pointing to the leaders of the community who are working in the arts! What are YOU doing for the community?
5. Only Antwoine, the accuser and God know the whole truth. But this was not a fair trial! There were way to many inconsitencies on the stand! Good people do bad things but I don't believe Antwoine is guilty of this horrible accusation!
accountability

Olympia, WA

#14 Mar 20, 2007
I want to believe that the man is innocent because I know him and I've been around him on a few occassions. The one thing I do know that is that when I was in high school and SHADES was first starting. It was the first time I had ever seen anyone work that well with youth. People were so excited to go to practice and sing at all these different events. Another thing I also noticed was all the craziness that was going on with the kids. I had very close friends in the choir and would tell me about things they would do. You had a lot of these youths sleeping with each other in the choir. You had kids struggling with homosexuality. It's okay to struggle with these things because I know that's what outreach is about. I never wanted to be involved because I felt there was no accountability . Now that I work with youth I know there is no way people had no idea what was going on with some of these kids. My dad always says you can tell the type of tree it is by the fruit it grows and I'm strongly believe that. I look at all of our community christian organizations and ask myself "What are we doing" Why do we just accept things as they way they are. This situation with brother Antoine is very sad and I will continue to pray for him and his family. I think it is a result of years of us just accepting how things are and not holding each other accountable for our actions or non actions. I know we are all emotional about this topic but let's not be so short sighted. It's not just this area. There is an attack on our black males in church. I have family out of state and they are dealing with the exact same issues. We need to hold each other up and call each other when we see things aren't right. Let's not turn a blind eye and let this happen to another one of our talented leaders.
KING LEONIDAS

Seattle, WA

#15 Mar 20, 2007
Wow, there is a lot of hurt and pain in these comments and also with both parties involved. Whether Antwoine is guilty or not the man is without his family for a good while. Whatever the crime is there are a lot of kids out here without their fathers especially our black kids. So I challenge everyone to do a reality check to see what support we can offer Antwoine and his family in this time of need. It is not too late to lend a hand and support our people. As for the accuser there is hurt and pain there as well, we do not know what actually occurred or did not occur but I am sure that that young man is battling some things as well and we need to support him as well. There is a lot of finger pointing and blame. But we all have to be responsible for what we portray especially when working with young people. It saddens me to see both people involved in something this crucial and it also saddens me to see the lack of support for OUR PEOPLE. Which direction are we going when we continue to blast each other and not step in and help.
Shaun McElrath

Sunnyvale, CA

#16 Mar 20, 2007
I haven't seen or spoken to you in years and am sorry my outreach has to come at such a grave time in your life. I am praying that God will see you through this ordeal.
Goldies' lil. sister
Keep in touch Antwoine

Seattle, WA

#17 Mar 24, 2007
For those of you who truly care about Antwoine and want to stay in touch. The comments are mailed to him weekly!
www.myspace.com/antwoineparmer
Ms V

San Ramon, CA

#18 Mar 26, 2007
Hmmmm- the production of wrote:
1. How do you PRODUCE homosexuals? You have given a lot of power to some leaders in our community!
2. He has never been accused of having sex with other choir members. AND one of those brothers was caught in a lie on the stand! AND the police thought it was unfounded.
3. Is supporting and accepting teens... who may be sexually confused wrong? If no one mentors, listens to, works with, trains, etc... kids that may be confused about their sexual identity or who are outright gay ... the homosexual community will welcome them with open arms! Is it wrong of christians to associate with them?
4. The alleged victim told his mom in the same conversation that he was gay that he and Antwoine had a supposed relationship. She didn't do anything for 9 months and even then wrote a letter to one of his jobs, never contacted the police ...did she believe it? Probably not! And he did not tell her about the other people he had been in relationship with before he had ever got involved in the choir. Why blame Antwoine?
5. Are all of the hundreds of other youth that Antwoine worked with that said he has never touched them, had sex with them, or had anykind of inappropriate conversations lying?
6. The accuser changed his story from what he told the police, to what he said on the stand.
7. His one witness said the supposed sex happened in ATLANTA - not Seattle. They contradicted eachother on the stand.
8. One of the jurors even wrote the judge a letter talking about the inconsitencies in the testimony of the accuser, his mother and his witness! They were not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt and now it is too late!
9. What are YOU doing to help the your community? You seem to be more than willing to point a finger at those who are trying to give young people a positive outlet.
10. Only God, Chris and Antwoine know the truth but if you look at the fruit of the work that is being done by Antwoine and the other leaders you mentioned... this is not the fruit of their work.
<quoted text>
Amen to whomever you are. Like I said earlier, I don't believe in homosexulity but I do believe that homosexuals or those that are struggling need a church to go to, a choir to sing in, and a place where they can receive and learn of Jesus. If they still choose that lifestyle, who am I to look down on them. That is between them and GOD. And don't forget, to God, their sin is no bigger than heterosexuals who lie, cheat, steal, fornicate, etc. And although I'm in California, everything I've heard supports that this is just not true. Antwoin,if you receive this, this is your cousin Vada and like I said, although I'm unable to be there with you physically, you know I am praying for you and hoping that the appeals vindicate you. I am also praying for my smaller cousins (your children) as I'm sure this is very trying on them even though they are still very young. I love you "nu nu" and I am trying to work with Moms to see what I can do on your behalf. Keep your head up!!
SHADES member

Seattle, WA

#19 Mar 26, 2007
I am a current member of SHADES and Imany of you. Homosexuality is very common in todays churches, in todays world, but no sin is greater than any other if you have lied for example how can you look down on a agree with homosexual?....they need a home just like your lyin behind and they have Gods love just like you too. Accountabilty said that "you can tell the type of tree it is by the fruit it grows" and this is very true but when you look at the fruit do you only look at the fruit that have fallen on the cement and are now unrecognizeable on the ground or do you also look at those that are thriving and have begun to grow their own trees as well? there are many former SHADES members who are not gay or bisexual or curious but very secure and married with children and are very successful (not to say that you cannot be homosexual and successful) many people have said "he's been convicted hes guilty" many people who had been looking for flaws in Antwoines character for years "knew" he was guilty as soon as he was accused.
Keep in touch Antwoine

Seattle, WA

#20 Mar 28, 2007
Please contact Antwoine through www.myspace.com/antwoineparmer
This will have a mailing address for him and comments that are posted get mailed to him weekly. He has been told about your comments on this an appreciates your support!
We believe he is not guilty of this and will continue to fight!
Ms V wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen to whomever you are. Like I said earlier, I don't believe in homosexulity but I do believe that homosexuals or those that are struggling need a church to go to, a choir to sing in, and a place where they can receive and learn of Jesus. If they still choose that lifestyle, who am I to look down on them. That is between them and GOD. And don't forget, to God, their sin is no bigger than heterosexuals who lie, cheat, steal, fornicate, etc. And although I'm in California, everything I've heard supports that this is just not true. Antwoin,if you receive this, this is your cousin Vada and like I said, although I'm unable to be there with you physically, you know I am praying for you and hoping that the appeals vindicate you. I am also praying for my smaller cousins (your children) as I'm sure this is very trying on them even though they are still very young. I love you "nu nu" and I am trying to work with Moms to see what I can do on your behalf. Keep your head up!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seattle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Man tries to scan his genitals at Capit... Sat ELISE GINGERICH 2
News A way to stop an outrageous practice by landlords? Sat ELISE GINGERICH 1
Go Sanders Don't Quit Jun 24 Go Blue Forever 11
News Retirement celebration Sunday at West Seattle C... Jun 24 voteGreen-jill st... 1
Nostradamus' AFFRIQUE (May '12) Jun 24 anonymous 260
local transgender Jun 23 ELISE GINGERICH 2
Cute men needed Jun 18 The Judge 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seattle Mortgages