Keith Richards Fumes at Poor Reviews -

There are 13 comments on the Aug 29, 2007, Newsday story titled Keith Richards Fumes at Poor Reviews -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has demanded an apology from Swedish newspapers for their scathing reviews of the group's performance in the country earlier this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Dave

Atlanta, GA

#1 Aug 29, 2007
Even Eric Clapton has said that he can no longer perform some skills on the guitar as he has gotten older. Clapton has been a gifted guitarist; Keith Richards has been mostly show his whole carrier.
iano81

Cork, Ireland

#2 Aug 29, 2007
So what difference does it make how old he is as long as he can still put on the show? No-one goes to a stones gig to hear perfectly played instruments, and lets face it, mick hardly has the voice of an angel, but they put on a great rock and roll show, keith especially.
rocknroger

Köping, Sweden

#3 Aug 29, 2007
does a really drunk 63 year old man stumbeling around on a big stage pretending to play the guitarr think he can fool a audience of 56.000 people in Gothenburg to belive that he´s not drunk...?
boy, he´s even moore stupit than I thaught!
this is really sad...
I want my money back!
George

AOL

#4 Sep 3, 2007
Most nights, they're still the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
Joseph

Tibro, Sweden

#5 Sep 4, 2007
Nobody made fun of John Lee Hooker for being old.

“Overcome Medusa - Fly Higher!”

Since: Jul 07

...and don't look back!

#6 Sep 4, 2007
Well, all I have to say is that Andre Segovia still sounded pretty good at about 90 years old.
The pyrotechnics at his stage show left a lot to be desired, however.

...and don't look back!

#7 Sep 4, 2007
I heard a recent small concert recording, and these guys really are pretty good! They actually play their own instruments too.
I do agree that Richards really did screw his health up. If he had come from a weaker genetic stock, I think he WOULD be deceased by now.

...and don't look back!

#8 Sep 4, 2007
Stones riffs really aren't hard. I don't see why the riffs would be so hard to play for Kieth unless he WAS drunk. I don't know what the show was like, but drunk does not make it any better, but worse.
sway5

Gloucester, UK

#9 Sep 9, 2007
I have always thought Ron wood to be the weak link in the stones guitar work not Keith. Listen to live recordings of when Mick Taylor was in the band and you will see what I mean.
The age thing is annoying because these guys were the first, nobody knows how old a rock n roller should be until he retires yet. After the the Stones, >Mccartney, Dylan, The Who etc we will have a better benchmark of how old is old. These guys are the first through the gates taking the flack. The Stones were dubbed "Wrinkly rockers" on the Steel Wheels tour, that was in 1989!
I don't hear people saying U2 are too old.
The guys who came up in the 60's are REAL musicians, they don't need to rely on stage props if they don't want them. There's nothing stopping them playing clubs just don't do football stadiums anymore. Don't forget the guys the Stones, Clapton the Who etc looked up to were in thier 70's & 80's. Don't get rock stars confused with pop stars.
If artists like the Stones & Dylan took note of snipes about thier age we wouldn't have 'Time out of mind' or 'Stripped'
As for being drunk, the licks tour proved that drink affected Ronnie Woods playing far more than Keith. Woody was sober and much better for it. But I still say, the Stones became a far weaker band when Wood took over from Taylor.

...and don't look back!

#10 Sep 25, 2007
sway5 wrote:
I have always thought Ron wood to be the weak link in the stones guitar work not Keith. Listen to live recordings of when Mick Taylor was in the band and you will see what I mean.
The age thing is annoying because these guys were the first, nobody knows how old a rock n roller should be until he retires yet. After the the Stones, >Mccartney, Dylan, The Who etc we will have a better benchmark of how old is old. These guys are the first through the gates taking the flack. The Stones were dubbed "Wrinkly rockers" on the Steel Wheels tour, that was in 1989!
I don't hear people saying U2 are too old.
The guys who came up in the 60's are REAL musicians, they don't need to rely on stage props if they don't want them. There's nothing stopping them playing clubs just don't do football stadiums anymore. Don't forget the guys the Stones, Clapton the Who etc looked up to were in thier 70's & 80's. Don't get rock stars confused with pop stars.
If artists like the Stones & Dylan took note of snipes about thier age we wouldn't have 'Time out of mind' or 'Stripped'
As for being drunk, the licks tour proved that drink affected Ronnie Woods playing far more than Keith. Woody was sober and much better for it. But I still say, the Stones became a far weaker band when Wood took over from Taylor.
Taylor was a beautiful guitarist. I heard he quit and persued his own career because he felt stifled with the stones a bit. Years later, I read in a music mag. that Kieth told Mick T. "Why the hell did you leave the Stones, man?"

...and don't look back!

#11 Sep 25, 2007
Old is a state of mind. Andres Segovia, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck, many jazz musicians etc.etc. Bo Diddley, Johnnie Lee Hooker (listed above)...Most Blues men. Kieth jams with many of them here in my home state when he's not touring or traveling.
Kieth said he'll be playing his guitar even from a wheelchair (I hope he never ends up in one)... It's what he does. I really like the guy, but really do wish he'd quit the drinking.
A friend of mine saw a recent concert and said Kieth was reeling (actually, he said Kieth was f**ked up), and had a bottle hidden behind the amp and took nips quite often. I still love the Stones....probably always will. And you're right...they're among the first to crash the age gate in their genre.
Truth

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Nov 6, 2013
Joseph wrote:
Nobody made fun of John Lee Hooker for being old.
Good comparison. John Lee Hooker was nothing short of pathetic for the last 30 years of his carreer.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#13 Nov 13, 2013
Wrong site

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockholms, Sweden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Diverse Sweden Rushes to Embrace (and Become) a... (Aug '14) Dec '14 J_a_n 2
News End to End 5G for Super, Superfast Mobile Nov '14 New China 1
News Contruction worker has 'Sweden's best beard' (Oct '14) Oct '14 wanna-jay 1
News 50 years after receiving Nobel Prize, do Martin... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
News Pointers for boosting prophylactic bipolar trea... (Oct '14) Oct '14 NAMI Run By Pharma 1
News Genetic and Environmental Influences Are Equall... (May '14) Jul '14 friend DUHZ it again 13
News Mick Jagger plans Rolling Stones museum (Jul '14) Jul '14 Back to Bachics 4
More from around the web