STRIKING BACK: U.S. says leaks are a ...

STRIKING BACK: U.S. says leaks are a crime, threatens prosecution

There are 33 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Nov 30, 2010, titled STRIKING BACK: U.S. says leaks are a crime, threatens prosecution. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Striking back, the Obama administration branded the WikiLeaks release of more than a quarter-million sensitive files an attack on the United States Monday and raised the prospect of criminal prosecutions in connection with the exposure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
To Lenny and John Bogert

Northridge, CA

#22 Nov 30, 2010
Lenny wrote:
this is a good thing. Security was very lax. hopefully now the govt. wont be so loose with taxpayer property
Back in 2008, the U.S. ambassador in the central Asian state of Kyrgyzstan, Tatiana Gfoeller, was invited to lunch with Prince Andrew, Duke of York, who was in the country to promote British interests. After the encounter, she observed in a cable:
"Astonishingly candid, the discussion at times verged on the rude (from the British side)."

When the conversation turned to the problem of corruption, one businessman said that working in Kyrgyzstan was "like doing business in the Yukon" in the 19th century, "i.e. only those willing to participate in local corrupt practices are able to make any money."

"At this point the Duke of York laughed uproariously, saying that:'All of this sounds exactly like France.'"

At another point, according to Ambassador Gfoeller, "the prince mused that outsiders could do little to change the culture of corruption here.'They themselves have to have a change of heart. Just like you have to cure yourself of anorexia. No one else can do it for you.'"

Referring to his coming meeting with the Kyrgyz prime minister, Prince Andrew seemed exasperated. "With a mock groan, the Duke of York then exclaimed:'My God, what am I supposed to tell these people?!'"

The prince also addressed Russian influence in central Asia, stating that "the United Kingdom, Western Europe (and by extension you Americans, too) were now back in the thick of playing the Great Game. More animated than ever, he stated cockily:'And this time we aim to win!' "

"The Great Game" originally referred to the 19th century struggle between Britain and Russia for control of central Asia.
The cable continued that Prince Andrew indicated he had little patience for the media interfering in the negotiation of business deals, condemning "these (expletive) journalists, especially from the National Guardian, who poke their noses everywhere."

According to the ambassador's account, the prince also "railed at British anti-corruption investigators, who had had the 'idiocy' of almost scuttling the Al-Yamama deal with Saudi Arabia." That deal was a multibillion-dollar defense contract between BAE Systems and the Saudi government that became the target of a U.K. Serious Fraud Office corruption inquiry.)

Warming to her theme, Ambassador Gfoeller continues: "He then capped this off with a zinger: castigating 'our stupid (sic) British and American governments which plan at best for 10 years whereas people in this part of the world plan for centuries.'"
But she saves perhaps the best for last, referring to Prince Andrew's "unmitigated patriotic fervor."

One British guest at the lunch had noted that despite the might of the American economy, British investment in Kyrgyzstan was of a similar magnitude.

"Snapped the Duke:'No surprise there. The Americans don't understand geography. Never have. In the U.K., we have the best geography teachers in the world!'"

Hello, what about History?

LOL

Anaheim, CA

#23 Nov 30, 2010
I certainly hope that no one loses their life over this.
To LOL the Troll

Northridge, CA

#24 Nov 30, 2010
LOL wrote:
I certainly hope that no one loses their life over this.
"Snapped the Duke:'No surprise there. The Americans don't understand geography. Never have. In the U.K., we have the best geography teachers in the world!'"
Kari

Stockholm, Sweden

#25 Dec 1, 2010
Politicians of usa and their militaries are global war criminals and global murderers and their should be tried and executed.
To Kari in Sweden

Northridge, CA

#26 Dec 1, 2010
War is our business. And movie-making. What else is there? What a life it was, when we still had our Indians. We didn't even have to leave the country. We had our glorious wars right here [about 27 of them]. And then our "Civil War" too, of course. Don't ask how civil it really was.

Now we have our great War on Drugs, and Poverty. But the money we spent in the Middle East. Our city is going broke, and our Golden State. But so what, as long as we can have our wars. We talk abou tliberty and freedon, but we love to see blood. We don't count the "other losses," ours are only about 5,781, so far.

Kari wrote:
Politicians of usa and their militaries are global war criminals and global murderers and their should be tried and executed.
Trust Me

Redondo Beach, CA

#27 Dec 1, 2010
Notheing will be done to anyone caught in anything
America has gone soft
To Kari and Think Again

Northridge, CA

#28 Dec 2, 2010
"I should welcome almost any war for I think this country needs one." -- Roosevelt, 1897
To Kari in Sweden wrote:
War is our business. And movie-making. What else is there? What a life it was, when we still had our Indians. We didn't even have to leave the country. We had our glorious wars right here [about 27 of them]. And then our "Civil War" too, of course. Don't ask how civil it really was.
Now we have our great War on Drugs, and Poverty. But the money we spent in the Middle East. Our city is going broke, and our Golden State. But so what, as long as we can have our wars. We talk abou tliberty and freedon, but we love to see blood. We don't count the "other losses," ours are only about 5,781, so far.
<quoted text>
Sve

Stockholm, Sweden

#29 Dec 3, 2010
politicians from usa and their militaries are global war criminals and they should have trials.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#30 Dec 3, 2010
Sve wrote:
politicians from usa and their militaries are global war criminals and they should have trials.
Why should the USA value the opinion of those who hate us and want us dead?
To Kari and Think Again

Northridge, CA

#31 Dec 3, 2010
He asked for it, we got.

A hundred year war against civilization. The Opium War and the two Balkan wars not even included. But they set the stage.

And now we're already going broke, and still fighting "the enemy" in other countries. And "our" bankers count "their" money.
To Kari and Think Again wrote:
"I should welcome almost any war for I think this country needs one." -- Roosevelt, 1897
<quoted text>
More Food For WikiLeaks

Northridge, CA

#32 Dec 3, 2010
"The Destruction of Ethnic Germans and German Prisoners of War in Yugoslavia, 1945-1953 Tomislav Sunic From the European and American media, one can often get the impression that World War II needs to be periodically resurrected to give credibility to financial demands of one specific ethnic group, at the expense of others...."

"I’m so glad to read this article – finally I’ve found someone writing (in English) about this seemingly forgotten issue! We all know how much suffering went on at the hands of the Nazis in WWII, and everyone’s personal story is of great importance, especially for the individuals and their families. I am beginning to research what happened to the ethnic Germans (the Donauschwaben and such) in places like Serbia during WWII, and this is a particularly important topic to me personally because my grandmother was one of those who narrowly escaped death."

"My great grandmother wasn’t so lucky, apparently being fed ground glass and dying in some prison camp around 1945. I think there’s a lot more to come out of this topic and if it changes people’s perceptions of the war and even 20th century history, so be it!"

Excellent article, thanks.
Katharina
Another Observer

Northridge, CA

#33 Dec 3, 2010
Hi..
In reality there wasn't any secret revealed by wikileaks, but some of what is said by politicians and leaders behind the scene. I liked very much the comment of the Russian forgien minister when he said that "wiki leaks are entertaining" .

Well it was another [proof] to me that the world is lead by a bunch of stupid and idiots who collectively have no policy to defend..or put in place.

Bankers, and geopolitical Protestant church and corporate leaders never document what they say or do.. They are the real world leaders.
To Another Observer

Northridge, CA

#34 Dec 3, 2010
Yes, but we don't talk about the real leaders.

We simply asked "Who Really Controls?" in 1984,
and we were eradicted; with the help of our "Breeze."
Another Observer wrote:
Hi..
In reality there wasn't any secret revealed by wikileaks, but some of what is said by politicians and leaders behind the scene. I liked very much the comment of the Russian forgien minister when he said that "wiki leaks are entertaining" .
Well it was another [proof] to me that the world is lead by a bunch of stupid and idiots who collectively have no policy to defend..or put in place.
Bankers, and geopolitical Protestant church and corporate leaders never document what they say or do.. They are the real world leaders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockholm, Sweden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where to get Quality Weed / Hashish & Meds in S... Sun Trey 1
a new prototype of electric car: likes and disl... Nov 25 Italian Students 1
Mental Memoirs Nov 17 Mrs H Edna 410
Singel . Nov 14 Thisme46 1
Survey Nov 10 Mark 2
In the middle (Oct '14) Nov '16 anonymous 36
News Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in Literature Oct '16 bravo 1
More from around the web