Swedish actress Johanna Sallstrom dies

Swedish actress Johanna Sallstrom was found dead in her apartment in Malmo on Tuesday night. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Eddie Slater

London, UK

#1 Feb 15, 2007
What a tragedy. She was a great actress and a real star of the new Wallander films. It is especially sad for her little daughter. Her talent will be greatly missed and my heart goes out to her family.
Chris Kirchgaessner

North Brunswick, NJ

#2 Feb 15, 2007
I just came from seeing her in a Wallender movie. It is very depressing, she played the role so well. And she is so young:(
caroline

New York, NY

#3 Feb 16, 2007
I grew to love this actress. What a beautiful, talented women. Watched all the movies in the Wallender series. Last night was the last one and we were told of her death. This is so tragic.
Would like to send condolences to her family and let them know how truly loved and admired she was.
ben

Westmalle, Belgium

#4 Feb 17, 2007
With deep regret I've read the news today (February 17th).
I saw her in the Wallander series in Belgium as well.
She played her character with such a certain coolness that reminded me of other great Swedish actresses.
So young.....what a loss...
My deepest condolences to her family.
Daphne

Antwerpen, Belgium

#5 Feb 17, 2007
I heard the news on the Belgian radio this morning and couldn't believe it! 32...we share the same age... Only recently I became familiar with the Wallander series and I really love them. Johanna was an amazing and beautiful actress and will be missed a lot! My condolences to her friends and family.
Stephen Irving

Barrow, UK

#6 Feb 17, 2007
Such a waste and a shame. Watched a number of the Wallander films and Johanna was a great actress with a cool demeanour. She obviously had some demons that wouldn't leave her and she sought escape from the world. So sad for her family, friends and admirers of her work. A real sad loss.
J Novak

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Feb 17, 2007
We have just completed screening the 2nd half of the Wallendar TV films here in New York. Johanna's character, Linda Wallendar, had become a familiar face, part of the "family", along with Kurt, Stefan, and the rest of the cast. We greatly morn her loss and express our deepest sympathy to her family.
Ronny Verbruggen

Lommel, Belgium

#8 Feb 22, 2007
I still cann't believe that this actress, a young human being, is dead. She gave Linda Wallander from the books a face. It's sad that such things still happen in our society. My deep thoughts are with her Family, esspecialy with her daughter.
C Hayden

Flushing, NY

#9 Feb 25, 2007
I too have been watching the Wallendar series at Scandanavia House in NYC and was struck by how well Johanna Sallstrom suited the part. This is very sad news and I send my deepest condolences to her family.
Gary Hampton

Worthing, UK

#10 Feb 27, 2007
This is sad for a talented actress and at such a young age. I gather from some of these posts that she leaves a daughter. I've just seen her on and English subtitled version of Henning Mankell's Before the Frost, and found this information as a fan of Mankell's website. The post explains that there is no suspicion of criminal involvement, but does anyone have an update on what was the cause of her death ?
CH - Denver

Ephrata, PA

#11 Mar 4, 2007
caroline wrote:
I grew to love this actress. What a beautiful, talented women. Watched all the movies in the Wallender series. Last night was the last one and we were told of her death. This is so tragic.
Would like to send condolences to her family and let them know how truly loved and admired she was.
I had not heard of the Wallender books or movies until today. Some friends mentioned them in emails. I googled to learn more and came across the notice of this poor woman's death. So sad. I live in PA. I am interested in the movies. I see you say you have seen them all. How do I find them? I would appreciate the info. Thank you?
caroline

New York, NY

#12 Mar 6, 2007
CH - I have wathched the series at Scandanavia House in Manhattan. It is located at 38th and Park. They might have more information of where you can find them.
Also Henning Mankell is the author -
there might be information in his site??
Hope you get to see - you'll love them!!
Best,
caroline
JZS

Mumbai, India

#13 Mar 12, 2007
I worked for the firm in Sweden and have most of the DVDs. You want them?
CH - Denver wrote:
<quoted text> I had not heard of the Wallender books or movies until today. Some friends mentioned them in emails. I googled to learn more and came across the notice of this poor woman's death. So sad. I live in PA. I am interested in the movies. I see you say you have seen them all. How do I find them? I would appreciate the info. Thank you?
caroline

New York, NY

#14 Mar 16, 2007
JZS -

Do you have DVD's available?? I would love
to have them!! Did you like working for
the firm - is it Yellow Bird??

Thanks,
Caroline
Rodrigo

Mexico

#15 Mar 17, 2007
Tonight (March 16th, 2007) I just saw a movie with this actress at my home in Mexico City. The original title in Norwegian is "Magnetisørens femte vinter", in english is "Magnetist's Fifth Winter" and in Spanish was translated as "Poder Sobrenatural". I like her so much that I was surfing the web looking for more info about her just to find out in this web page that she died a month ago! Well, what can I say? Life sucks for everyone, in one way or another...Her dead reminds me of other tragic deads of beautiful women like Marilyn Monroe, Lady Di, Romy Schneider, Supermodel Gia Carangi, Grace Kelly, Anna Nicole Smith, etc.
Robin _ The Netherlands

Ijsselstein, Netherlands

#16 Mar 18, 2007
Almost a year ago I have got the first book from Henning Mankell from a girlfriend of mine.
Once I started to read, I couldn't stop.
I immediately bought the complete series.
Just when I was finished reading the last part, I heard the Belgium television started broadcasting the 13 films from the Wallander series.
Then some sports came in between.
Because I couldn’t wait, I ordered some English subtitled movies at http://www.dvd.se .
Now I have almost all of them, some recorded at DVD from television, some original ones.
Today I looked at http://www.inspector-wallander.org/ and saw that Johanna Sällström has died…
I am stunned..
Police say no crime is suspected. But I can’t find the reason she died on the Internet.
What I did find, is that she played a very nice role in the movie “Hans och Hennes”(also known as “His and Hers” or “Making Babies”)
On reason more to try and find all movie-material..
Thank you Johanna, I will never forget you..
Robin, The Hague, Netherlands
Tatiana_vienna

Scharten, Austria

#17 Apr 9, 2007
I am a huge fan of the Wallander series and have seen all of them. The series and actors in them are all brilliant - especially Johanna Sallstrom. Everytime I see her, and remember that she's dead - very disturbing and sad. In the episodes, it seems that some of the story lines ran parallel with Johanna's life. Kind of eerie. In any case, also my deepest condolences to her family - and may her little daughter grow up with alot of love and good memories of her mom.
Erik goes west

Studio City, CA

#18 Apr 27, 2007
What a tragedy but I'm not surprised. Sweden is a depressing country, especially during the winter. Everything just turn grey; the people, the weather, and of course yourself. And the only way to escape from this (except for suicide) is either to drink, or move. I moved since my stomach couldn't take all the drinking. I know live in the US, which of course is a country full with problems, however during the 3 years here I spent here, I haven't once thought about taking my life.
Johanna - you will be missed, and I truly hope that your pain is gone where ever you are.
Erik
Micheal

Hägersten, Sweden

#19 May 1, 2007
@Erik from LA.
Complete bullshit....I live in Sweden for 7 years now and am happy here. Just because it did not work out for you does not mean Sweden is a horrible place!
The Wallander movies were great, she was a good actor....she will be missed
Harry

Porvoo, Finland

#20 May 1, 2007
Just been watching the new Wallander series from the swedish tv, which you can see on the west cost of Finland. And grew to admire Johanna's acting, the kind of quiet , but effective smallness of it. And her looks - she was beautiful and sexy.

And then I googled to find out more, and only got obituaries. I'm a big guy, but this makes me cry. She was wonderful.

I understand she couldn't quite forget some bad experiences in the Thai tsunami, in which a lot of Swedes died, but she managed to escape. Also that she maybe had worked too much. The Wallander series seems to have been done during just one year (10 1,5 hour movies in a year - they all must be exhausted).

Life must have been a dark place for her, since you don't kill yourself too easily when there's a 4-year old daughter to care for. However great an actress she was and however beautiful, it's somewhat difficult to understand a, when you think about her daughter. Ofcourse I only know what little information I've found on the Internet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malmo, Sweden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stares & Abuse, Irishman Dresses As Jew In Sweden (Nov '13) Sep 7 Rebecca 5
Stretched by riots, Swedish police call reinfor... (May '13) Aug '14 galler 2
Muslims in Sweden? Aug '14 Electra41 1
Sweden orders inquiry into hate vandalism Aug '14 Electra41 1
Rape, the Whirlwind Aug '14 Electra41 1
Malmo Stockholm TEFL English Employment and Jo... (May '09) Jun '14 socrates 19
Religion (Jan '14) Jan '14 Kate 1
•••

Malmo, Sweden People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE