textures, repetitive pattern phobia
karla

United States

#504 Jan 3, 2013
Jackie-Southern Kentucky wrote:
Thank god I am not alone. I really thought I was loosing my mind, because in the last few months this fear of patterns and clusters is being horrible to deal with. It all started with the same email some of you have referenced about the woman with the bot fly larvae in her breast. I am tormented by that image and now anything even similiar! I became so upset by the image that I had to go to the doctor for medicine. It didnt help. I dream of clusters of things growing on human skin. This even occurred when I was younger and I dreamed of someone (I dont know who) covered in a black rubbery type algae that grew in clusters, but could be picked off with a sharp object. I have never forgotten that dream. But the gaping holes that something like a larvae makes or a barnacle makes my skin itch that sometimes I scratch until I bleed. It constantly feels like a hair touching me, but there never is. I becoming almost a germophobe, because I am now beginning to become fearful of microscopic clusters that I cant even see. This is becoming so bad that I am showering up to 5 times a day to wash the clusters off!!! Someone help and tell me what is wrong with me. I am so sick at my stomach I could die, yet I am tearing my own skin off from the itch!!! Help!!!!!!
My phobia is exactly the same as yours. I saw the exact same picture and it terrified me all day.
My phobia started when I was around 12 (I'm 26 now) when I was at a beach in Costa Rica and cut my feet with a coral. Since then phobia to corals, bernacles underneath boats and larvae holes FREAK ME OUT!
ana

Frazier Park, CA

#505 Jan 4, 2013
Ive known for a while that I don't like patterns but never thought much of it I would just not look long. Then today I saw the picture of the wholes on the breast and it made me freak out like never in my life. I wanted to pull my hair out and pull my brain apart almost like my brain hurt and I wanted it to stop. I have never experienced enything like this before. After a while I started crying because I could still see the picture in my head and I couldn't distract myself.eventually I listened to some really loud music and Also realized strone scents distracts me from remembering the picture. I'm glad I found this. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who dosent like patterns.
Johno

UK

#506 Jan 9, 2013
I have a fear of seeing a cluster of Pepper seads. It makes my head itch. Thought I was mad
Megan

United States

#507 Jan 15, 2013
I'm actually really happy that I'm not the only one!!! I would tell my friends I am scared of patterns and they think there's no such phobia. I don't know how to describe it! I hate like...cracks and like.. I don't know! I hate some bug eggs, the tip of blood vessels and veins, patches of dirt in the grass, the tip of tree branches! They give me the heebie jeebies. Sometimes I just get really..annoyed by them. Today in math class, we watched a video about fractals. Now some scared the shit out of me. I also hate some cells. I HATE the cracks of dry ground. People say there are no such phobia, but there needs to be a name for this!
Gigi

Dayton, OH

#508 Jan 16, 2013
Megan wrote:
I'm actually really happy that I'm not the only one!!! I would tell my friends I am scared of patterns and they think there's no such phobia. I don't know how to describe it! I hate like...cracks and like.. I don't know! I hate some bug eggs, the tip of blood vessels and veins, patches of dirt in the grass, the tip of tree branches! They give me the heebie jeebies. Sometimes I just get really..annoyed by them. Today in math class, we watched a video about fractals. Now some scared the shit out of me. I also hate some cells. I HATE the cracks of dry ground. People say there are no such phobia, but there needs to be a name for this!
Tell them, "OH YES THERE IS!!!!, and there's alot of us".
susie white

Belfast, UK

#509 Jan 25, 2013
So glad there are other people in the same boat as me.thought I was the only 'weird' one.i could never look at carlin soup.
Brook

Blountstown, FL

#510 Jan 25, 2013
When I was little, my older brother had psoriasis, I am not sure if that freaked me out and scared me. Now that I am older certain trees with scabbly scaly tree bark grosses me out, its like I cannot look at it. And some bushes I have to look away. Circular patterns make me itch. It's like I want to lather everything in lotion. I've never thrown up, not yet anyway. I didn't know it was a phobia until now. And I feel really itchy.
Aixa

Bethlehem, PA

#511 Feb 4, 2013
OMG i'm so glad to know i'm not alone!!!!!! I just saw a pic of a bunch of holes in a ladies skin and my skin immediately crawled even up my face and instantly felt sick to my stomach! Fish scales do the same. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing! I thought i was weird.
Aixa

Bethlehem, PA

#512 Feb 4, 2013
I saw it and made me run around the room in disgust!
Aixa

Bethlehem, PA

#513 Feb 4, 2013
ana wrote:
Ive known for a while that I don't like patterns but never thought much of it I would just not look long. Then today I saw the picture of the wholes on the breast and it made me freak out like never in my life. I wanted to pull my hair out and pull my brain apart almost like my brain hurt and I wanted it to stop. I have never experienced enything like this before. After a while I started crying because I could still see the picture in my head and I couldn't distract myself.eventually I listened to some really loud music and Also realized strone scents distracts me from remembering the picture. I'm glad I found this. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who dosent like patterns.
I saw it and omg it made me freak out to..the pattern, the wholes...everything i swear i had goosebumps for hours!!!!
Jesuslove

San Antonio, TX

#514 Feb 6, 2013
Aixa wrote:
I saw it and made me run around the room in disgust!
I can relate to you. A few days ago my boyfriend sent me a link based on trypophobia. However, since i didnt know exactly what trypophoia was i continued to watch the video. Furthur into the video i recognized a pattern of holes, clusters and cracks scenes repeatedly shown to me. i almost broke my i pad because i dropped it in disgust. I swaer...i didnt even want to wear pants becuase of the warm itchy feeling i had. Like most of these people saying the same thing on this topic, i am so glad i am not alone.:)
Polly

Copenhagen, Denmark

#515 Feb 15, 2013
This is the first time reading that other people have the same feelings as I do!

I read that a lot of you can't stand honeycomb. I don't have a problem with that. But I have a problem with fish scales, if they're uneven.
To narrow it down, I generally have a phobia of repetitive patterns which are uneven or have little bumps or something. Like fish scales, if a few of the scales are not laying smooth, but sticking out, I just feel like puking.
One of the VERY WORST ONES is a specific snake. Now I don't mind snakes persay, but this snake looks like it's covered in small yellow leaves all over its body and they point out and stick out from its skin and I feel so psysically ill when I see a picture of it. I want to rip off all those disgusting "leaves" to make it smooth and flat and omg I feel so sick!
I also can't stand demin. It's okay to look at, but when someone scratches on their demin pants I just want to cut off my fingers and I feel so nauseated.
If the pattern is even and flat it doesn't bother me as much, but if it has a rough texture I just feel it.
I can't stand when people scratch their clothes and the thought of little nail pieces getting caught in the fabric and their uneven nails... I can't stand having uneven nails, uneven skin. I can't stand looking at my mother in laws who nails are often cut of really bady cause I feel so sick thinking about all the fabric and patterns they could get caught in.

But the snake is the worst!! And also some picture of wood cuttings I saw recently..!!
Polly

Copenhagen, Denmark

#516 Feb 15, 2013
What I mean with this is that things in 3D, like the "leaves" on the snake skin, or someone brushing against fish scales to make them stand up, those are really the worst. I feel like dying just looking at it. And the thought of touching it or someone else touching it... I can barely type this out.

It's a combination of looking at it and also touching certain fabrics. I tried looking up how I feel about touching denim, but I can't find anything.
Polly

Copenhagen, Denmark

#517 Feb 15, 2013
Also, the lotus pod makes me sick. Not because of the holes, but because of the seeds in the holes. I just really want to remove those seeds and smooth out the holes. I can't look at it with those seeds in the holes!! It looks so wrong.

I have ADHD - and I just came to think if this can be related?
I think this fear can come from a sense of being out of control. To see all those spots or clusters of things and it looks so uneven and wrong and uuurgh.
Because generally I've noticed that I'm not quite as bothered/made sick by it when I take my medicin (Ritalin). It easier for me to take a deep breath and calm down and try to get the image out of my head.
I'll try thinking of a clear blue sapphire like someone on here said.(She also suggested an ocean, but I can't help thinking abou all the fish scales in the ocean!!!!)
Gigi

Dayton, OH

#518 Feb 15, 2013
Polly wrote:
This is the first time reading that other people have the same feelings as I do!
I read that a lot of you can't stand honeycomb. I don't have a problem with that. But I have a problem with fish scales, if they're uneven.
To narrow it down, I generally have a phobia of repetitive patterns which are uneven or have little bumps or something. Like fish scales, if a few of the scales are not laying smooth, but sticking out, I just feel like puking.
One of the VERY WORST ONES is a specific snake. Now I don't mind snakes persay, but this snake looks like it's covered in small yellow leaves all over its body and they point out and stick out from its skin and I feel so psysically ill when I see a picture of it. I want to rip off all those disgusting "leaves" to make it smooth and flat and omg I feel so sick!
I also can't stand demin. It's okay to look at, but when someone scratches on their demin pants I just want to cut off my fingers and I feel so nauseated.
If the pattern is even and flat it doesn't bother me as much, but if it has a rough texture I just feel it.
I can't stand when people scratch their clothes and the thought of little nail pieces getting caught in the fabric and their uneven nails... I can't stand having uneven nails, uneven skin. I can't stand looking at my mother in laws who nails are often cut of really bady cause I feel so sick thinking about all the fabric and patterns they could get caught in.
But the snake is the worst!! And also some picture of wood cuttings I saw recently..!!
This is very interesting...I've never heard of anything quite like this
justin m

Holyoke, MA

#519 Feb 22, 2013
Dominique W wrote:
Okay, so I'm not going crazy. I literally breakout in hives looking at squiggly lines, especially in a cluster. The repair pavement lines in the street, wet hair in sink or bathtub, cracks in sidewalks. ugh. I have this reoccurring nightmare and this pattern is atrocious. It feels like the room is closing in and the lines are attacking me. Ughhhh. I feel like I have a mental illness. Makes me anxious, itchy, and I can feel the hives breaking out.
dominique! i googled your symptoms because i have the same and i found that you are also from springfield, Ma! i feel ya girl! if i look at a picture of our nervous system, i get nauseas and my back crawls. also, if i touch or hear the sound of someone scratching a hologram cup or picture, same reaction. also, if i rub my finger on the soft roof of a car , i get so weak. ALSO, if i suck on cloth, makes me side. ugh ima puke thinking about it
Gigi

Dayton, OH

#520 Feb 22, 2013
Has anyone ever seen the movie "Christmas Vacation"? The scene where he carves the turkey and it splits open and makes that noise I'll never get over. It makes me run from the room....crazy I want to tear my eyeballs out.
Lowey

London, UK

#521 Feb 24, 2013
I am surprised to read that so many people feel the same as me!

All my life I have been disgusted by certain repeated patterns.. It's hard to define exactly which ones as they differ a lot. I wouldn't call it a phobia, it's more a feeling of absolute disgust and although it sounds crazy I just want to totally destroy the pattern. It sticks in my mind for ages.

The reason I came to Google it recently was because I was reading an article on the BBC news website a few days ago about some horrible crimes in Africa somewhere. Halfway down the web page there was a picture of a child soldier holding a chain of bullets up to his face and when I saw those bullets I just had to cover the picture up with my hand and I can't stop thinking about it! It's the way they're all uniform and maybe it's because they're being held up to his face or something but it makes my teeth go on edge and my skin crawl.

The first example I remember was when I was younnger and there was an awesome Australian kids' show called 'Round the Twist' on TV here in England. In one episode, the girl befriended this peculiar boy at school who always wore gloves. Anyway it turned out he was turning into a Merman and when he removed his gloves at the end of the show he had what looked like fingernails repeated all the way up his hands, wrists and arms. That image has haunted me for my whole life!

Another time was when my dog got sick when I was a kid and it had an allergic reaction to something. It's skin got all bumpy and little tufts of hair stood up iratically all over its body. I just wanted to scratch it all over but obviously I didn't wanna hurt her so I didn't.

Sorry if that was unpleasant reading for some of you! I was interested to read the term 'Trypophobia' but i'm even afraid to google it because the search automatically brings up images, one of which I saw out the corner of my eye and I don't want to see again!

Another was a film version of 'Hamlet' I saw when they poison Hamlet's father as he's sleeping by pouring a vile of poison into his ear. There's a split-second shot of his ear blistering and bubbling and it just goes right through me.

Cheese on toast under the grill, weird little organisms, stuff like that. I can't really think of other examples but when it happens, it makes me climb the walls!

I'm kind of glad, kind of weirded out that others feel the same and i'm definitely interested to know exactly where this comes from.
Holly

Garden Grove, CA

#522 Mar 27, 2013
OMG i cannot stand seeing packs of birds in the sky or mushrooms or little holes or those little cracks in the streets and my newest most horrible one is a geographic tongue do NOT look it up its horrible like ughhh i didnt kno other people suffered from this too. My heart goes out to everyone whos had to see all these horrible things that make you just wanna die! i hope we can all heal this problem some way some how :/
James

Levelland, TX

#523 Mar 27, 2013
I can't stand hole clusters or fish gills I get really itchy like everywhere and I get this like bugs under my skin feeling and chill it totally sucks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Psychology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barry Conner The Oriole Mill 11 hr barry-theoriolemill 1
want to buy used psychological test kits (Apr '13) 18 hr Laura1220 120
Nano implant abuses! Jun 22 tuyrho 23
African & Caribbean individuals in UK needed fo... Jun 22 yaz 1
News Best Psychologist Jun 21 HumanSpirit 1
News Best and Worst of Psychology and Psychiatry - M... Jun 18 HumanSpirit 1
Theory of Calculable Cognition [new!] Jun 17 Rype Perspectives 1
More from around the web