textures, repetitive pattern phobia

Posted in the Psychology Forum

First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Since: Sep 07

United States

#1 Dec 20, 2007
Just curious if anyone has ever heard of a name for this. Repetitive patterns, very distinct lines and certain textures especially visual ones make my skin crawl.
moment of clarity

Flint, MI

#2 Dec 23, 2007
yeah I don't know what it is called but i have it

Since: Dec 07

Flint, MI

#3 Dec 24, 2007
Maggies here wrote:
Just curious if anyone has ever heard of a name for this. Repetitive patterns, very distinct lines and certain textures especially visual ones make my skin crawl.
I did a google search and i think it is a fear of clusters or cluster phobia, but there is not much info on it.
zonya

Nassau, Bahamas

#4 Jan 12, 2008
I have this problem it's getting worse all of a sudden, i can't even stand to see a bunch of birds in pattern on the electrical wires or dove commercials with all the hands
Trixie

Bridgetown, Barbados

#5 Feb 12, 2008
i thought i was crazy for having a texture/pattern phobia but i guess not... very detailed textures or even paint schemes freak me out... even the stripes/colours on a skunk are too much for me ...
Myself

Centreville, VA

#6 Feb 13, 2008
Ew. Fish scales are the worst. I thought I was the only person who had this weird feeling about "clusters"!
anonymous

Union City, GA

#7 Feb 13, 2008
Ew! I have this too. Just the word "fish scales" makes my skin crawl.
anonymous

San Diego, CA

#8 Feb 17, 2008
OMG... i have it too fish scales OMG...
and repetitive and ugly patterns make my skin crawl
even writing this now im like dying here
maxluc

Walsall, UK

#9 Feb 25, 2008
I have a phobia about lots of repetitive patterns, thatched roofs make me feel physically sick
mingzi

Australia

#10 Mar 11, 2008
i get a sick feeling from patterns.

looking at fish is ok, but when the fish scale pattern is spread in my face it makes me cringe.

the look pattern of dry skin makes me sick.

but birds standing in a pattern doesnt really do anything.

i think its just like repetitive patterns.

its weird cuz when i was little, i used to have weird dreams of walls closing in on me, but on the walls were weird patterns which made me feel really sick inside.

WEIRD??!
Christine

Tulsa, OK

#11 Mar 19, 2008
wow i'm so glad other people have this too.

I have one to add to the list... the seeds in the middle of a sunflower
CrazyCrav

Burlington, Canada

#12 Mar 28, 2008
Yeh I have this too. Honeycombs are the worst for me :S
Amy England

UK

#13 Apr 10, 2008
i have this phobia to, i think its called phobia of clusters.
i cant stand to look at fish scales or anything that resembles fish scales.
i hate small holes all grouped together, it makes my skin crawl!!
i even hate the word clusters!!!
also the seeds in the middle of a sunflower..i hate that to, and the seeds in the middle of a pepper!
i wish i could get rid of this phobia as these images bother me for days and i dont know why!!!
Danielle

Singapore, Singapore

#14 Apr 15, 2008
I have this too! I was searching on the internet to see if anyone else has it. Fish scales, fish gills, cells, symmetrical patterns --- If there's a pattern on a piece of paper I cant stand I have to tear through it!!!

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#15 Apr 21, 2008
LOL, now this is interesting I don't believe I have ever seen anything like this before...
pharmsell12

Blountville, TN

#16 Apr 21, 2008
this is comforting to know i'm not the only one, but does anyone know how to help it??
Chad555

Newark, DE

#17 Apr 26, 2008
This is insane, I have had this my entire life; I thought I was the only one who experienced it. Certain textured patterns and patterns of holes make me feel sick. I feel freaked out and I cant explain why. When something triggers it I often say "Thats sick! Oh my god, thats so discusting." My girlfriend just starts laughing at me. Just last night I had a dream of a person who had skin made out of triangle shaped pieces. The pieces didnt exactly fit together so there was holes in between everyone. The pieces didnt stay flat either, they twisted, but all in the same direction at the same time. God its so sick. Weird.
Shashana

Mckinney, TX

#18 Apr 27, 2008
I thought I was alone in this too... I got sick on that Lysol commercial where the little boy comes in from school and touches the phone and the colored little wormy things show up on it. I literally cannot look at that commercial, it makes me soooo sick.. and if I see bubbles in the sink floating on top of water, that makes me sick too. But I also will think of something out of the blue that is a texture or pattern and it makes me ill....I have had this issue since I was a kid.... its so weird..are we crazy?
Gekkeiju

UK

#19 May 2, 2008
Thankyou for everyone who's posted, Im glad to know its not just me who's weird and that other people experience the same thing.

Its really really odd =/
Ashley

Waipahu, HI

#20 May 9, 2008
i'm not crazy! i'm glad i'm not the only one that is bothered by certain textures. i can't stand looking at clustered holes. it seems if they are symmetrical (like honeycombs...i'm ok). there's this really GROSS picture online that is the epitome of what i cannot stand (google images...breast rash - the worst thing i have ever seen in my life, even if it is a fake picture). even when i was little, there was an ant hill in the dirt...all those holes drove me crazy - i sprayed it with the hose, which made it worse...i remember running into the house crying. no one else could really relate to what i was feeling.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Psychology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nano implant abuses! (Jan '16) Sun thryuev 69
News Psilocybin Shown to Ease Anxiety, Depression in... Sun HumanSpirit 1
News 'The Hare Psychopathy Checklist': The test that... Nov 25 HumanSpirit 1
want to buy used psychological test kits (Apr '13) Nov 25 FrankPsych 170
How liars create the illusion of truth Nov 25 TYni 2
News Psychologist to stand trial Feb. 7 (Feb '06) Nov 17 Diane meepradit 140
News Pig behaviour, human nutrition experts take sta... Nov 17 scared yet 1
More from around the web