I believe in intelligent design

Full story: Sunday Times

Matthew Du Plessis: Regular readers could easily be forgiven for thinking that the weekly scribblings that appear here under my byline are the work of a godless heathen.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of2,095
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
MDP

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 2, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Godless heathen? The man is absolutely right. The time has come for people to begin to realize they've been brainwashed for numerous generations to believe this mythology. And that's all any so-called religion is, a mythology and nothing more. We as a people are believing various forms of the same mythology which is the sole reason for mass genocide, wars, persecution, oppression - and this all needs to be recognized for what it is so the killing and persecution stops. Personally, I feel that it won't happen in my lifetime or my children's lifetime either. People are too impressionable and much too saturated with the mythology programming, so it will persist, and people will continue to die for nothing of any real value.

There needs to be a paradigm shift in thinking that affects the people of the world into understanding they've been handed a false legacy that's been allowed to continue for far, far too long. Can you imagine for ten seconds what the world would be like if people believed in one thing - be nice to people and pursue peace with each other. Put the religious beliefs in whatever deity completely aside, recognizing the mythologies they are, and just be peaceful knowing that all along - we've all been played.

Organized religions are mythologies and nothing more. We are all organisms which have evolved from carbon atoms in an opportune location from a constant heat source, and that's about it.

If anyone thinks about this for a little while, ignoring the programming you've been hammered with all your life - it all starts to make sense. So stop all the killing and persecution. End organized religion in whatever sense and just evolve to the understanding that humankind is fragile, and we don't need to help our ultimate destruction along. Let's prolong human life without the religious programming please. How many have paid a price for mythology to date? Unknown numbers beyond comprehension and that's just ridiculous.

Consider for another ten seconds all the money spent in the past 3,000 years on temples, mosques and churches, etc. We're talking about much more than quadrillions in today's currency. How many could've been fed, clothed and housed with all of that money? How many could be today with the billions still pouring in on an annual basis to institutions which still idolize mythologies?

This deception through programming is our current reality, and this is completely heinous. We may as well be still idolizing Zeus. Or Dr. Seuss...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

>>>"Was he there at the Big Bang?"

There goes another kitten...

>>>"If nobody created the universe, how come we're here to talk about whether or not somebody created it? Clearly in his sophomoric imaginings, "Professor" Hawking didn't think this all the way through."

KABOOOM!(yeesh)

>>>"Over the years, believers have had to give a fair bit of ground on the matter of creation."

And why is that you think?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

John Gribbin original article cited in this one:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7972...
Seems John-boy is on Hawking's side.
Does this remind anyone of Asimov's "The Last Question"?
Axel

Johannesburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

The article's taking the piss. I mean, isn't it? Cos even at face value it says "I believe in a creator, and he's a bit of an idiot". And the logic is squiffy right from the get-go. Someone's leg is being pulled.
MTO

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

MDP wrote:
Godless heathen? The man is absolutely right. The time has come for people to begin to realize they've been brainwashed for numerous generations to believe this mythology. And that's all any so-called religion is, a mythology and nothing more. We as a people are believing various forms of the same mythology which is the sole reason for mass genocide, wars, persecution, oppression - and this all needs to be recognized for what it is so the killing and persecution stops. Personally, I feel that it won't happen in my lifetime or my children's lifetime either. People are too impressionable and much too saturated with the mythology programming, so it will persist, and people will continue to die for nothing of any real value.
There needs to be a paradigm shift in thinking that affects the people of the world into understanding they've been handed a false legacy that's been allowed to continue for far, far too long. Can you imagine for ten seconds what the world would be like if people believed in one thing - be nice to people and pursue peace with each other. Put the religious beliefs in whatever deity completely aside, recognizing the mythologies they are, and just be peaceful knowing that all along - we've all been played.
Organized religions are mythologies and nothing more. We are all organisms which have evolved from carbon atoms in an opportune location from a constant heat source, and that's about it.
If anyone thinks about this for a little while, ignoring the programming you've been hammered with all your life - it all starts to make sense. So stop all the killing and persecution. End organized religion in whatever sense and just evolve to the understanding that humankind is fragile, and we don't need to help our ultimate destruction along. Let's prolong human life without the religious programming please. How many have paid a price for mythology to date? Unknown numbers beyond comprehension and that's just ridiculous.
Consider for another ten seconds all the money spent in the past 3,000 years on temples, mosques and churches, etc. We're talking about much more than quadrillions in today's currency. How many could've been fed, clothed and housed with all of that money? How many could be today with the billions still pouring in on an annual basis to institutions which still idolize mythologies?
This deception through programming is our current reality, and this is completely heinous. We may as well be still idolizing Zeus. Or Dr. Seuss...
If it wasn't for a belief in God the wicked heathen would run rampent.
MTO

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

if it wasn't for those people who believe in God, the wicked and mischevious people would run rampant.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

MTO wrote:
if it wasn't for those people who believe in God, the wicked and mischevious people would run rampant.
You mean like the Inquisition? Or the Salem Witch Trials? Stuff like that?
MTO

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

2

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like the Inquisition? Or the Salem Witch Trials? Stuff like that?
No, I mean that we get our knowledge of what is morally wrong from the teachings of the men of God. If it were not for belief in God most people would turn to bad conduct, because it is a force of nature that gives rise to the immoral part of someone, and only a healthy fear of God, in many instances, will cause someone to turn away from mischief.

Since: Nov 08

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

2

MTO wrote:
<quoted text>If it were not for belief in God most people would turn to bad conduct, because it is a force of nature that gives rise to the immoral part of someone, and only a healthy fear of God, in many instances, will cause someone to turn away from mischief.
And yet there are millions of law abiding and considerate atheists all over this country. What you mean to say is that the only thing keeping YOU from being a criminal is your fear of an imagained deity. The rest of us are capable of controlling ourselves.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

MTO wrote:
<quoted text>No, I mean that we get our knowledge of what is morally wrong from the teachings of the men of God. If it were not for belief in God most people would turn to bad conduct, because it is a force of nature that gives rise to the immoral part of someone, and only a healthy fear of God, in many instances, will cause someone to turn away from mischief.
AH! You mean like the folks here:

http://notachristian.org/christianatrocities....
(much too many Christian "Acts of Love" to properly relate here)

Or these fine upstanding Christians showing their superior sense of morality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christia...
(again, too many upstanding Christians to list here)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 3, 2010
 

Judged:

2

MTO wrote:
<quoted text>No, I mean that we get our knowledge of what is morally wrong from the teachings of the men of God. If it were not for belief in God most people would turn to bad conduct, because it is a force of nature that gives rise to the immoral part of someone, and only a healthy fear of God, in many instances, will cause someone to turn away from mischief.
Speak for yourself. I'm not a psychopath thank you very much.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 5, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

<<If nobody created the universe, how come we're here to talk about whether or not somebody created it? Clearly in his sophomoric imaginings, "Professor" Hawking didn't think this all the way through.
>>

This line of thinking always begs the question that children always asks, "who created god?"
MTO

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak for yourself. I'm not a psychopath thank you very much.
Never said you were a psychopath. Everyone would be capable of doing crazy stuff, like killing cats, if we were never informed that this is terribly wrong and we need to stop doing it. If there is nothing to tell us what is right or wrong then strange things happen.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

MTO wrote:
<quoted text>Never said you were a psychopath. Everyone would be capable of doing crazy stuff, like killing cats, if we were never informed that this is terribly wrong and we need to stop doing it. If there is nothing to tell us what is right or wrong then strange things happen.
So, the ONLY reason you are not killing and torturing people, robbing, stealing and such is because you are a person of faith?

You're a sick puppy.

Most of us dont need a Sky Daddy to keep us in line.
MTO

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 6, 2010
 

Judged:

5

4

4

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the ONLY reason you are not killing and torturing people, robbing, stealing and such is because you are a person of faith?
You're a sick puppy.
Most of us dont need a Sky Daddy to keep us in line.
You have something to keep you in line. If you didn't, then you would be a very self centered person, and if you had no way of knowing right from wrong then you would be capable of acting out any stupid act that ever came into your head. Knowing what the right thing to do in any given circumstance is, has been taught to you by someone, and that someone got their information from a moral source in many instances.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

MTO wrote:
<quoted text>Never said you were a psychopath. Everyone would be capable of doing crazy stuff, like killing cats, if we were never informed that this is terribly wrong and we need to stop doing it. If there is nothing to tell us what is right or wrong then strange things happen.
So why do you hate kittens?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

MTO wrote:
<quoted text>You have something to keep you in line. If you didn't, then you would be a very self centered person, and if you had no way of knowing right from wrong then you would be capable of acting out any stupid act that ever came into your head. Knowing what the right thing to do in any given circumstance is, has been taught to you by someone, and that someone got their information from a moral source in many instances.
So what you're saying is: that you have no self control and only do good things because you think your god will punish you.

Like I said. Psychopathy.
MTO

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 6, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you're saying is: that you have no self control and only do good things because you think your god will punish you.
Like I said. Psychopathy.
NO, NOT what I said. I said if we had now way of knowing right from wrong, and if we thought there would be no repercussions, then we may act upon any silly whem that may come into our minds. Everyone has a since of what is wrong because of either what they have observed or what they have been taught by someone with moral values.
MTO

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Our sense of wrongdoing is learned.
MTO

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Our knowledge of the right course to take in life prevents us from acting on bad whims.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of2,095
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••