Does Science Refute God?

Does Science Refute God?

There are 11 comments on the National Public Radio story from Dec 11, 2012, titled Does Science Refute God?. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

Is belief in God rational? Or has science shown the existence of God to be so unlikely as to make belief irrational? Two physicists, a skeptic and a scholar tried to answer those questions in the latest Intelligence Squared U.S. debate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Dec 12, 2012
Conclusion?

COncussions anyone?
Isaac Atia

Accra, Ghana

#2 Jan 4, 2013
I think science actually brings out the greatness of God.It shows just how He has hidden the secrets of the universe and we as a curious species are working restlessly to unravel it and I think we have made a very good job.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#3 Jan 5, 2013
I agree. Does that mean we don't have much to talk about?
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#4 Jan 6, 2013
Isaac Atia wrote:
I think science actually brings out the greatness of God.It shows just how He has hidden the secrets of the universe and we as a curious species are working restlessly to unravel it and I think we have made a very good job.
Will you be saying 'bla blah' after science genetically modifies your brain?

Me thinks not.
BDV

Decatur, GA

#5 Jan 7, 2013
Why is this garbage in the Nuclear Energy Forum?

Since: Jan 13

Belmont, CA

#6 Jan 7, 2013
Science cannot refute the existence of any god (Baal, Zeus, Allah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster). What science can do and does is make the existence of any and all gods highly improbable. The existence of phlogiston has never been disproven, but Kelvin's heat theories make phlogiston infinitely unlikely. Science not only proves that metaphysical beings are highly unlikely. It also proves that there is no need for them in objective reality.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#7 Jan 7, 2013
1ishmael wrote:
Science cannot refute the existence of any god (Baal, Zeus, Allah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster). What science can do and does is make the existence of any and all gods highly improbable. The existence of phlogiston has never been disproven, but Kelvin's heat theories make phlogiston infinitely unlikely. Science not only proves that metaphysical beings are highly unlikely. It also proves that there is no need for them in objective reality.
You sound very sure of yourself, based on others research. Do you believe everything you read? Just asking, curiously.
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#8 Jan 7, 2013
QuiteCrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound very sure of yourself, based on others research. Do you believe everything you read? Just asking, curiously.
Just adding, they have already modified your brain, it appears.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#9 Jan 8, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Just adding, they have already modified your brain, it appears.
Leave my brain alone!!!!

LOL
Kiki

Bangkok, Thailand

#10 Feb 6, 2013
1ishmael wrote:
Science cannot refute the existence of any god (Baal, Zeus, Allah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster). What science can do and does is make the existence of any and all gods highly improbable. The existence of phlogiston has never been disproven, but Kelvin's heat theories make phlogiston infinitely unlikely. Science not only proves that metaphysical beings are highly unlikely. It also proves that there is no need for them in objective reality.
I prefer Pascal's Wager:[At present] We cannot prove God exists or doesn't exist. However, if God does actually exist, why risk hellfire and damnation ? Its a safer bet !
BDV

Decatur, GA

#11 Feb 7, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
... after science genetically modifies your brain?
Who is this "science" person you speak of, and do proper authorities and its parents know of its deeds?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Physics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What is Absolute Zero? 1 hr ZERO in BEETLE BA... 6
The THEORY OF EVERYTHING has been discovered! Thu NolanNeon1 1
My rotating model Thu theodorenghiem 1
News Science Shock: Electromagnetic fields from mobi... (Jan '16) Sep 16 Weneedjusticeplea... 3
News Speed Of Light May Not Be Constant After All, P... (May '13) Sep 16 nakayama 91
magazine of World Physics Society Sep 5 Adolfo Moran 1
The theory of everything Aug '16 BillT 1
More from around the web