A profound misunderstanding of cranks

A profound misunderstanding of cranks

There are 1 comment on the ScienceBlogs story from Jan 10, 2012, titled A profound misunderstanding of cranks. In it, ScienceBlogs reports that:

Category: Alternative medicine Antivaccination lunacy Intelligent design/creationism Medicine Physics Pseudoscience Science Skepticism/critical thinking Posted on: January 10, 2012 3:00 AM, by Orac I've spent a lot of time over the years looking at cranks, examining crank science , and trying to figure out how to inoculate people against crankery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ScienceBlogs.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#1 Jan 10, 2012
"Wertheim's entire thesis in this article is that we shouldn't dismiss cranks like Carter (and, I infer, Simoncini, Clark, Young, and Milgrom) because:

There are quite a lot of them (argumentum ad populum)

Math is hard.

Learning the necessary background knowledge do modern science is hard.

Science is complicated; so there must be something wrong with it

Science is a religion that should be available to all, just as Martin Luther wanted Christianity to be available to all through his translation of the Bible.

Outsider scientists feel "alienated" by scientific explanations and science as practiced.

None of these are, in my book, reasons to view science as a priesthood or religion, or to take cranks seriously."

Love it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Physics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The theory of everything Aug 22 BillT 1
Gravity & Acceleration (Dec '13) Aug 15 nakayama 7
News Making a Solar Energy Conversion Breakthrough W... Aug 8 Solarman 1
Ideal Physics App Aug 5 Anonymous 1
News Speed Of Light May Not Be Constant After All, P... (May '13) Aug 3 nakayama 89
News Are Science And Truth At Odds? (Sep '15) Aug 1 B Afraid Very Ver... 5
MM Experiment & Einstein (Dec '13) Jul 28 nakayama 7
More from around the web