Rube Goldberg Device: shape candy

Rube Goldberg Device: shape candy

Posted in the Physics Forum

Abishai100

Clementon, NJ

#1 Apr 6, 2013
A Rube Goldberg machine, contraption, invention, device, or apparatus is a deliberately over-engineered or overdone machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion, usually including a chain reaction. The expression is named after American cartoonist and inventor Rube Goldberg (18831970)(source: Wikipedia).

One of the magical aspects of the Rube Goldberg device concept is that a given inventor can devise many many variations of a given model or maybe even change core concepts of a given model and hence create illustrious combinations of gadget-connected device causality presentations.

This is the essence of the so-called chain reaction and its models apply to chemistry, physics, and biology. One can use a Rube Goldberg model to study combinatorics or kinetics, among other things.

The Rube Goldberg machine is delicious, can be found in colorful versions in the children's toy market, and psychologically reflects the new age gadget marketability of the Hollywood (USA) movie "Toys" (1992).

Are they printing movie posters on hemp/recycled paper yet?

God bless!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Physics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is time travel possible? (Oct '10) 6 hr Robert Franko 19
News Have researchers been looking for dark matter i... Mon Robert Franko 2
News Speed Of Light May Not Be Constant After All, P... (May '13) Mon Robert Franko 83
Where is Lorenz contraction ? May 14 nakayama 41
Relativity of Simultaneity (Dec '14) May 3 nakayama 35
Serway College Physics 9th ed TEST BANK NEEDED!!! (May '11) Mar '16 Colorful 26
News Amber Rose maximises voluptuous curves in skin-... Feb '16 Golf Foxtrot Yankee 3
More from around the web