Child abuse may 'mark' genes in the b...

Child abuse may 'mark' genes in the brains of suicide victims

There are 24 comments on the www.sciencecodex.com story from May 6, 2008, titled Child abuse may 'mark' genes in the brains of suicide victims. In it, www.sciencecodex.com reports that:

A team of McGill University scientists has discovered important differences between the brains of suicide victims and so-called normal brains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sciencecodex.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Christopher

Arlington, VA

#1 May 7, 2008
Guys, quit the bullshit. What leads to suicide in abuse 'victims' is everyone telling them that they are 'damaged' and therefore they start to feel that they are worthless, especially in cases of 'sexual abuse' where they might even have liked said 'abuse'.

Stop telling children that they are 'damaged' by abuse and stop giving them an out, slap them silly when they start falling into that 'pity trap' and you won't have so many suicides anymore.
Steve

United States

#2 May 7, 2008
Juvenile murderers were studied by
a guy named "MEANIE" and he also did
hypothermia in baby rats.
Neo-natal stress caused permanent
changes. Why build so many prisons,
just deal with the results of stress
in a rational way. Christopher could
be in prison himself.
LOK

Eden Valley, MN

#3 May 7, 2008
Christopher wrote:
Guys, quit the bullshit. What leads to suicide in abuse 'victims' is everyone telling them that they are 'damaged' and therefore they start to feel that they are worthless, especially in cases of 'sexual abuse' where they might even have liked said 'abuse'.
Stop telling children that they are 'damaged' by abuse and stop giving them an out, slap them silly when they start falling into that 'pity trap' and you won't have so many suicides anymore.
Wow, what a remarkably compassionate and perceptive person you must be. And intelligent - whoa everyone, Christopher has the ultimate solution to prevent suicide - slap them silly! It's amazing that no one has previously tapped into this brilliant concept - it's so foolproof, so succinct. Now you just need a name for your method of psychological treatment - name it after yourself, so you can be immortalized as the ignorant fool you really are. Bravo!
BLUES MAN

Dayton, OH

#4 May 7, 2008
everytime i see an article like this i wonder where the article is about the thousands upon thousands of people who have gone thru a horrible thing like this and yet,have lived a normal life and have children that they love and that love them.
listener

Union, IL

#5 May 7, 2008
LOK wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, what a remarkably compassionate and perceptive person you must be. And intelligent - whoa everyone, Christopher has the ultimate solution to prevent suicide - slap them silly! It's amazing that no one has previously tapped into this brilliant concept - it's so foolproof, so succinct. Now you just need a name for your method of psychological treatment - name it after yourself, so you can be immortalized as the ignorant fool you really are. Bravo!
Doesn't anyone recognize satire when they see it?
Dantes Inferno

Forest Lake, MN

#6 May 7, 2008
Christopher wrote:
You hit it right on the head, although i think there could be a better approach than 'slapping them silly.'
When there is a pity trap do not reinforce it and do not pay too much attention to when they seek that as an escape.
The Roving Gambler

Cincinnati, OH

#7 May 7, 2008
Christopher wrote:
If you weren't already so stupid, someone should slap you "silly".
The Roving Gambler

Cincinnati, OH

#8 May 7, 2008
BLUES MAN wrote:
everytime i see an article like this i wonder where the article is about the thousands upon thousands of people who have gone thru a horrible thing like this and yet,have lived a normal life and have children that they love and that love them.
Just because they appear that way to you does not mean they are not deeply troubled inside.
St Louis MO

Columbia, IL

#9 May 7, 2008
I think a lot of suicide victims no matter if its adults or teens is because society puts to much pressure on them. TV and the internet is another thing that that shows people how to do it. Granted child abuse is very prevalent out there, but it's been going on for centuries, and many people have survived it. The scientists are spending a lot of money on this gene thing, when they could be spending money on how to prevent these horrible things. Now you can't even discipline your child when they do wrong. When little Johnnie does something wrong they give him a hug. Children now believe thats its ok to lie, steal, kill, and to kill themselves. What's happening to our world?
Worker

United States

#10 May 7, 2008
It seems that psychology does play a large role in dealing with psychological problems and suicidal thoughts. I find the scientific aspect fascinating. What if modern science could simply adjust a gene or marker inthe brain, and make these thoughts disappear. What a miracle treatment that would be. There is so much more to be discovered. I find it counter productive to negate scientific or psychologial studies that could lead to a cure. What a human instinct and error to think we know it all.
The Roving Gambler

Cincinnati, OH

#11 May 7, 2008
The world hasn't changed much. The main change is that abusing children is no longer acceptable.
Cleo

Philadelphia, PA

#12 May 7, 2008
Child abuse shouldn't be accepted. There are many forms of child abuse. Suicide is a serious problem when a person has been pushed to their limit. They believe that there isn't any other answer to their problems then suicide. It may sound like a cheap cop out however, to them it is the answer. Of course it isn't the answer. Man hasn't changed from the beginning of time. When is man/woman going to show love and compassion for those who need it? People who want to commit suicide should be watched very closely and let them know that they are loved and will be cared for. Also let them know they can always come to them in their lowest moments. Everyone needs to be picked up!!!
The Roving Gambler

Cincinnati, OH

#13 May 7, 2008
Cleo wrote:
Child abuse shouldn't be accepted. There are many forms of child abuse. Suicide is a serious problem when a person has been pushed to their limit. They believe that there isn't any other answer to their problems then suicide. It may sound like a cheap cop out however, to them it is the answer. Of course it isn't the answer. Man hasn't changed from the beginning of time. When is man/woman going to show love and compassion for those who need it? People who want to commit suicide should be watched very closely and let them know that they are loved and will be cared for. Also let them know they can always come to them in their lowest moments. Everyone needs to be picked up!!!
Yeah - what you said!
Old Seadog

San Fernando, CA

#14 May 7, 2008
"A team of McGill University scientists has discovered important differences between the brains of suicide victims and so-called normal brains.?

Duh! Of course there's a difference. Suicide victims are dead.

Since: Feb 08

United States

#15 May 7, 2008
Suicide in this current age is more prevalent than it's ever ever been. I don't think the Scientists are going to have the answer or even are the answer.
There are abusers who abuse others. That is a known fact, and a study has been done on that..a long time ago. An abuser will try to instill fear into a person--child or an adult..could even be an elderly person. The abuser does not set up boundaries. They are bullys in one sense and cowards in another sense. And, they do look at life and people in a different way than say "normal" people. Sometimes, substance abuse enters in..and brings forward an increase in abuse to whomever, not just children.
There is a lot of violence on t.v. today, videos and the most horrible video games that create that "kill and conquer" humans. This was never promoted in years past, and it doesn't enlist anything good in this current age. When the pressure of this current world, the violence on t.v., the horrible videos, and the halting of parents to rightly discipline children (because children need discipline--it gives them boundaries), all rolled together with drug or alcohol abuse--you've got a culture that lends way to suicide.
Compassion is needed, and that they can turn to God Who is their greatest Advocate ....their comfort, their strength, and Anchor....
Majorie
Been There

United States

#16 May 7, 2008
Christopher - The only bull shit is what you had to say about sexual abuse. You have no idea what it is like to be sexually abused, or if you do it made you very discompassionate. "Slap them silly" is no way to handle the situation. Children are robbed of their innocence and are scared for life. Unfortunately, you are an ignorant pig.

“Straight, no Chaser (T. Monk)”

Since: Oct 07

Costa Mesa, CA

#17 May 7, 2008
Cleo wrote:
"Man hasn't changed from the beginning of time." Well, at least not since Cro-Magnon (sp?) man - us - displaced the Neanderthals. We're still wired for a much meaner existence than we enjoy now, and it's education and increased leisure time that allows us to sublimate our baser instincts and be concerned with the welfare of others.(Note that I'm referring mainly to the industrialized, "civilized" areas of the world. There are plenty of places that haven't changed much, culturally, for millenia. Uh, most of the middle-east?)

It's not surprising that there would be significant genetic changes in the brains of abuse victims. A significant number of women, for example, who have been sexually abused in childhood remain, behaviorally, victims their entire lives. Suicide is final, but childhood abuse tends to foster many kinds of self-destructive behavior in adulthood on the way there.
Green_dude

Newington, CT

#18 May 7, 2008
I would rather see a person commit suicide than being a big downer, bumming everyone else out their whole life. At least they are out of their pain and suffering.

Costa Mesa, CA

#19 May 7, 2008
I might add that abuse victims are not real receptive to therapy, which is too bad. Severe early emotional trauma creates powerful defenses for coping - all the way to multiple personalities. This IS an area where classic psychoanalysis may be more fruitful than the current emphasis on psychoactive drugs.(Hey - I know Freud is kinda out of favor right now, but he didn't dream up his models out of thin air!)

Costa Mesa, CA

#20 May 7, 2008
Been There wrote:
Christopher - The only bull shit is what you had to say about sexual abuse. You have no idea what it is like to be sexually abused, or if you do it made you very discompassionate. "Slap them silly" is no way to handle the situation. Children are robbed of their innocence and are scared for life. Unfortunately, you are an ignorant pig.
I agree. Even if satire was intended his post was seriously insensitive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pharmacology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pharmacology Review Quiz is now from paid to free? Nov 14 CollinHarrams 1
News Where to buy dichloroacetate... (Jul '07) Oct '16 JIM 49
FDA: Adverse Reactions Website (May '08) Aug '16 jrdrmotwani 2
On binding plasma proteins... (Apr '15) Aug '16 jrdrmotwani 2
Dose-dependent or not (Mar '16) Mar '16 sam 1
News Could Music Be the Next Great Cure? (Apr '09) Aug '15 Tijesuni 8
steady state of a drug...can you please help me... (Sep '14) Sep '14 lhemz 1
More from around the web