High fructose corn syrup vs. sucrose

Posted in the Pharmacology Forum

Mark Cieselski

New Castle, DE

#1 Mar 14, 2011
Does HFCS behave the same way in terms of adsorption and distribution as sucrose? Metabolically both sucrose and HFCS are very similar no doubt, but this doesn't tell the whole story right? Sucrose must first be enzymatically cleaved before it can be absorbed as sucrose and fructose unlike HFCS. Would this affect the pharmacological profile of sucrose vs. HFCS differently which may produce different effects on the body? I constantly read about HFCS being linked to higher rates of obesity and am just wondering if this is the case. I mean I understand that fructose and glucose and the same molecules in each entity, but aren't they being delivered and absorbed differently? Are there any effects if that is true? I've found it quite difficult to find any info on the differences between HFCS and sucrose in the literature in terms of studies done to try to evaluate the pharmacology behind each because it seems no one has studied it. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions?
Bill Lauer

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Sep 6, 2011
Here's an article that might help, at least get you started. http://www.antiagingjournal.org/high-fructose... . Beyond that, you might want to google Joseph Mercola. His articles have references to research literature. Search his site for more info.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pharmacology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where to buy dichloroacetate... (Jul '07) Jan 31 Grace Caine 47
steady state of a drug...can you please help me... Sep '14 lhemz 1
steady state/i really need an answer for this. Sep '14 lhemz 1
Metabolism of tertiary alcohol (Jul '14) Jul '14 intrnd711 1
Oregon Medical Marijuana Doctor Answers All (Apr '07) May '14 dreed 109
Pharmacology of Effexor XR? (Jun '13) Nov '13 Hello 3
Effects of cocaine on athletic performance? (Nov '13) Nov '13 Foxy01 1
More from around the web