LSD Study Probes Hallucinogen's Effec...

LSD Study Probes Hallucinogen's Effect on Brain

There are 52 comments on the Hon.ch story from Jan 31, 2007, titled LSD Study Probes Hallucinogen's Effect on Brain. In it, Hon.ch reports that:

Scientists are examining the responses of mice to learn more about how psychedelic drugs such as LSD, mescaline and "magic mushrooms" work on the brain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hon.ch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Yada

Vero Beach, FL

#41 Aug 22, 2007
I have this good buddy and he took LSD back in the day. He had a few hallucinations and delusions on it back there during the free love early seventies. Finally, he grew up and got married and gainful employment and all.

He thought he had left those days far behind him only to have unbidden dissociative experiences.

He had times when he was in two places at once and other weird things happen. He heard colours and could taste them and shite. One time he heard a human distorted voice coming out of his dog at him. He was chased by a demonic rainbow one time. Really weird shite. Freaked him out so bad and his wife. She eventually had to run from him for fear of what he might do. But he got married again now. Up to now he still has these intermittently. Those are some of the lasting effects of LSD; dissocative experiences and synesthesia.

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

#42 Aug 22, 2007
Back in the late 60's I tripped with one of my professors, who was a close acquaintance of Leary.
I took a 750 mic hit and nothing happened for about a half hour. So....I took another tab!
Whoa momma! I felt like a fly hanging from the ceiling. I had flashs for about 5 years and everything chilled out.
I do want to try ayahuasca, as a tea, but will probably have to go to Brazil to experience it.
lookoutfrhealth

United States

#43 Aug 23, 2007
Yada wrote:
I have this good buddy and he took LSD back in the day. He had a few hallucinations and delusions on it back there during the free love early seventies. Finally, he grew up and got married and gainful employment and all.
He thought he had left those days far behind him only to have unbidden dissociative experiences.
He had times when he was in two places at once and other weird things happen. He heard colours and could taste them and shite. One time he heard a human distorted voice coming out of his dog at him. He was chased by a demonic rainbow one time. Really weird shite. Freaked him out so bad and his wife. She eventually had to run from him for fear of what he might do. But he got married again now. Up to now he still has these intermittently. Those are some of the lasting effects of LSD; dissocative experiences and synesthesia.
I wonder if the drugs mess up the dreaming place in the brain so people dream all day seeing their visions before open eyes instead of only at night. Or maybe it messes up the mechanism that normally stops or swithes the dream state off. Also those who have problems with hallucinations may be deficient on selenium. I heard a doctor say one guy cured himself of schizophrenia by taking selenium supplements. Later he switched to Brazil nuts because they contain a natural form of selenium.
Yada

Vero Beach, FL

#44 Aug 24, 2007
lookoutfrhealth wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if the drugs mess up the dreaming place in the brain so people dream all day seeing their visions before open eyes instead of only at night. Or maybe it messes up the mechanism that normally stops or swithes the dream state off. Also those who have problems with hallucinations may be deficient on selenium. I heard a doctor say one guy cured himself of schizophrenia by taking selenium supplements. Later he switched to Brazil nuts because they contain a natural form of selenium.
Certain deficiencies can generate mental illness symptoms. That's why patients get a work up before they're diagnosed with mental illness.

I know a boy that was diagnosed with autism who didn't have it. BUt there was nothing anybody could do to convince the parents or his doctor of that. He lapsed into a persistent vegetative state in which heremained for two and a halfish years...
Yada

Vero Beach, FL

#48 Aug 25, 2007
Patty wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally you've said something that's not stupid.
<quoted text>
Back to your usual stupidity, I see. Can't very well trust the results of work-up when the majority of doctors fail at even the most basic clerical tasks.
Before doctors conclude any more people are mentally ill, they might want to address the issue of their mental disorders, i.e.:
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/500_err...
Still not taking your Lithium and Risperdal, huh? Look up pellagra or pernicious anemia and see if you can be helped to grasp what the gentleman and myself were speaking about.
HumanSpirit

Elizabethtown, KY

#49 Sep 7, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard that LSD used to be used in Psychotherapy and Psychiatric practices up until the 50's or 60's. It was used as an aid for "going within" and really touching the issues.
Any kind of substance taken can and does alter the brain chemistry, for better AND worse. That is the BIG side effect, the flip side of the coin. People must weigh the risks and be prepared. Better to be informed and do your own research, before you pop that one.
Here is an exerpt from an interview with Aurthur Janov, John Lennon's psychotherapist:
Did he talk to you about acid and its effects on him?
Well, I knew about it. I can't disclose specifics, but in general, I'll tell you this: LSD is the most devastating thing for mental health that ever existed. To this day, we see people who've been on LSD, and they have a different brain-wave pattern, as if their defences are totally broken down; It stays.
Timothy Leary was in favour of the idea of ego-destruction...
I think he destroyed so many people by touting LSD. It's a very, very dangerous drug.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/pob11.h...
Look up MKULTRA

The Big Time

“Runs Like a Deere”

Since: Jan 07

Columbus, GA

#50 Sep 7, 2007
More Recreational....

In My Studies on the Subject.........

Nice try with the Paddle story....

BUTT

gNat said the old indian died on the Island....

with his old paddle in his Hand........
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#52 Oct 12, 2007
USA (CIA) MKULTRA was the beginning of mind control against the American, Canadian and British people. The CIA program incorporated LSD along with other psychotropic drugs which was part of the reason for the Hippie Generation.
It is interesting to note that H E Bush (father of George Bush) was involved with the CIA at that time as well as CEO for Eli Lilly Pharmaceutical. Further, Reagan / H E Bush presidency introduced the Social Services (each state) USA and incorporated the mental health industry. Prozac was market in that time frame after the FDA limited the essential amino acid "Tryptophan" that must be ingested in the food source on a daily basis for mental stability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MKULTRA
James

Seattle, WA

#53 Oct 12, 2007
Yes. its all a grand conspiracy to drug the masses through MK ULTRA and LSD and big pharma is putting lithium in water supplies
<eye roll>
No wonder scientology hates the Internet
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#54 Oct 12, 2007
James wrote:
Yes. its all a grand conspiracy to drug the masses through MK ULTRA and LSD and big pharma is putting lithium in water supplies
<eye roll>
No wonder scientology hates the Internet
MKULTRA was investigated by the United States Congress. Clinton order payments to victims of the CIA project MKULTRA. Don't think it was a conspiracy. It was mind control much like the the use of psychotropic drugs mixed with psychotherapy today creating false memories or recollected memories.

The Big Time

“Runs Like a Deere”

Since: Jan 07

Forest Park, GA

#55 Oct 12, 2007
The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bus go round and round, all day long

The wipers on the bus go swish swish swish, swish swish swish, swish swish swish
The wipers on the bus go swish swish swish, all day long

The horn on the bus goes beep beep beep, beep beep beep, beep beep beep
The horn on the bus goes beep beep beep, all day long

The children on the bus go up and down, up and down, up and down
The children on the bus go up and down, all day long

The babies on the bus go wah wah wah, wah wah wah, wah wah wah
The babies on the bus go wah wah wah, all day long

The mums on the bus go sshh sshh sshh, sshh sshh sshh, sshh sshh sshh
The mums on the bus go sshh sshh sshh, all day long

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bus go round and round, all day long
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#56 Oct 12, 2007
USA (CIA) MKULTRA was the beginning of mind control against the American, Canadian and British people. The CIA program incorporated LSD along with other psychotropic drugs which was part of the reason for the Hippie Generation.
It is interesting to note that H E Bush (father of George Bush) was involved with the CIA at that time as well as CEO for Eli Lilly Pharmaceutical. Further, Reagan / H E Bush presidency introduced the Social Services (each state) USA and incorporated the mental health industry. Prozac was market in that time frame after the FDA limited the essential amino acid "Tryptophan" that must be ingested in the food source on a daily basis for mental stability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MKULTRA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pharmacology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Where to buy dichloroacetate... (Jul '07) May '17 Judydowellb 51
5ht2b antagonist Jan '17 aransheehan 1
Pharmacology Review Quiz is now from paid to free? (Nov '16) Nov '16 CollinHarrams 1
FDA: Adverse Reactions Website (May '08) Aug '16 jrdrmotwani 2
On binding plasma proteins... (Apr '15) Aug '16 jrdrmotwani 2
Dose-dependent or not (Mar '16) Mar '16 sam 1
News Could Music Be the Next Great Cure? (Apr '09) Aug '15 Tijesuni 8
More from around the web