Evolution debate plays out on creatio...

Evolution debate plays out on creationism's home turf

There are 24 comments on the MSNBC story from Feb 4, 2014, titled Evolution debate plays out on creationism's home turf. In it, MSNBC reports that:

More than a million viewers are expected to tune in online Tuesday night for what may be the most-watched debate over evolution since the Tennessee " Monkey Trial " of 1925.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MSNBC.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#1 Feb 4, 2014
Bill (The Science Guy) Nye vs Ken (The Flinstones are real) Hamm tonight, Tuesday, Feb 4th.

MSNBC.com and NBCnews.com
7pm Eastern.

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#2 Feb 4, 2014
Awww, man, going to be at work. Setting DVR...

Orlando

#3 Feb 4, 2014
Not sure it's going to be broadcast on tv. This is internet-only as far as I read....
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#4 Feb 4, 2014
Discord wrote:
Awww, man, going to be at work. Setting DVR...
Waste of time. Nye will get slaughtered. It's all being played out in front of a creationist audience, right?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#5 Feb 4, 2014
Nye should just show 'em this:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T2L...
Pluto Boy

Columbia, SC

#6 Feb 4, 2014
Whacky anti-science stuff! I'm getting the popcorn out to watch the evolution debate with the anti-science guy. Should be a hoot, especially given my 1.2% Neanderthal and 0.9% Denisovan DNA. It would be a crime against god as you may conceive it to deny my hominid ancestry, wouldn't it?
gidget

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Feb 4, 2014
Ham left no creo-IDiotic lie untouched. No wonder people are leaving Xtianism in droves,if that lying piece of slime is an example. ::shudder::

Orlando

#8 Feb 4, 2014
Hammy would make a good used-car salesman. Nye (IMHO) was more compelling.

I just wish he would have used the term "evidence" in support of his arguments more, and have touched on ERV and genetic data as part of his discussion.

I *DID* find it amusing that a question from the audience asked about the SLoT. Fairly illustrates the level of education of that audience.

All-in-all.....Hamm got some emotional points in for the folks leaning in that direction, but Nye was the winner.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#9 Feb 4, 2014
Didn't see this debate yet. Hope to catch with it on the website.

But generally, I believe that every time a real scientist publicly debates a creationist like Ham in a setting where there are a lot of supportive church people etc, the CREATIONIST WINS to a certain extent, because their cause has been given a certain amount of legitimacy just by standing alongside real science.

"Look, there MUST be a controversy about evolution, otherwise, why would we be having a public debate about it on TV" etc.

It's a part of the strategy of the Discovery Institute and Ken Ham's group, etc.

Orlando

#10 Feb 4, 2014
Gillette wrote:
Didn't see this debate yet. Hope to catch with it on the website.
But generally, I believe that every time a real scientist publicly debates a creationist like Ham in a setting where there are a lot of supportive church people etc, the CREATIONIST WINS to a certain extent, because their cause has been given a certain amount of legitimacy just by standing alongside real science.
"Look, there MUST be a controversy about evolution, otherwise, why would we be having a public debate about it on TV" etc.
It's a part of the strategy of the Discovery Institute and Ken Ham's group, etc.
Since I was in no way to prevent this from happening in the first place, I think the damage inflicted by this production was minimal.

Nye might have even gotten a few of those on the fence.

Hammy was breaking out the usual worn-out crap: evolution as a religion, redefining what science is, how it operates, etc.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#11 Feb 4, 2014
Nye did very well. He ignored a lot of Ham's garbage and Ham did not use the Hovind and Gish tactic of rapidly repeating lies. He only made surprisingly few outright lies, for a creationist. Perhaps next time Ham will change his tactics. He might make the creationists happier next time.
gidget

Scottsdale, AZ

#12 Feb 5, 2014
I loved the way Ny did not refer to that abomination as a museum. It's not.
Shut Up You

Colonial Heights, VA

#13 Feb 5, 2014
Hmmm, evolution or creationism? Who gives a f**K? I thought atheist didn't believe in anything? If you are a person who believes in an almighty, then why waste your time trying to convince someone of your beliefs.
Aren't there bigger debates that need to be heard-
tatse great, less filling
blonde or brunette
Bewithced Darren- Dick York or Sargent
Best Bond

Orlando

#15 Feb 5, 2014
BWAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but I've got *just a little bit* more respect for Pat Robertson after seeing/hearing this:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/even-pa...

"Even Pat Robertson Thinks Young Earth Creationism Is A 'Joke'"

With Youtube clip, criticizing Ken Hamm for his 'performance' in last nite's debate.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#16 Feb 6, 2014
Shut Up You wrote:
Hmmm, evolution or creationism? Who gives a f**K?
Then why are you here then?
Shut Up You wrote:
I thought atheist didn't believe in anything?
Atheists simply lack a belief in Gods.
Shut Up You wrote:
If you are a person who believes in an almighty, then why waste your time trying to convince someone of your beliefs.
Because fundies think if they convince everybody then Jesus will come back.
Shut Up You wrote:
blonde or brunette
Best Bond
Sure, there's lots of debates about lots of stuff. Just pick one you like and just ignore the rest. But this debate wasn't about atheism vs theism, it was about evolution vs creationism. Fact is there is no scientific debate, evolution is scientific fact and that won't change just because two people have a public hash out over it. But it becomes important when creationists are doing their best to ruin public school education for everybody because they think their religious beliefs trump scientific reality and the First Amendment of the US Constitution. Other than that, the fundies are welcome to their beliefs.

St. James, NY

#17 Feb 6, 2014
Shut Up You wrote:
Hmmm, evolution or creationism? Who gives a f**K? I thought atheist didn't believe in anything? If you are a person who believes in an almighty, then why waste your time trying to convince someone of your beliefs.
blonde or brunette
Best Bond
It matters because Evolution is established science backed by evidence. Critics of Evolution are trying to have it overturned through politics and public opinion. There is already an established means by which a theory can be modified or overturned, through the discovery of contradictory evidence. But they are trying to skip that step (since there is no scientific evidence for Creationism or Intelligent Design) and try to overturn the theory anyway. This sets an incredibly dangerous precedent and weakens education in a time when we cannot afford it.
Shut Up You

United States

#18 Feb 6, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
It matters because Evolution is established science backed by evidence. Critics of Evolution are trying to have it overturned through politics and public opinion. There is already an established means by which a theory can be modified or overturned, through the discovery of contradictory evidence. But they are trying to skip that step (since there is no scientific evidence for Creationism or Intelligent Design) and try to overturn the theory anyway. This sets an incredibly dangerous precedent and weakens education in a time when we cannot afford it.
How was the universe made?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#19 Feb 6, 2014
Shut Up You wrote:
<quoted text>
You're off-topic. Why not ask such a question in the Topix physics forum?

St. James, NY

#20 Feb 6, 2014
Shut Up You wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on current evidence, the Big Bang Theory is the best model for the beginning of the universe, although that has nothing to do with Evolution.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#21 Feb 6, 2014
Shut Up You wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says it was "made"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paleontology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Changes in primate teeth linked to rise of monkeys Jul 16 Audi 5000 Mom 7
News Life-Size Noah's Ark To Open Amid A Flood Of Sk... Jul 14 Oops 6
News 'Savage' dog-sized dinosaur with serrated teeth... Jul 8 Urai Kucka 2
News Asteroid which destroyed dinosaurs 'wiped out n... Jun '16 Max 3
News Posted: 1 hour agoComments (0)Albert Einstein o... Jun '16 Medewiwin 1
Diversity is White Genocide Jun '16 67849hk5lh 1
News $5 million requested for COSI dinosaurs Apr '16 elliot ecot 6
More from around the web