What is Gondwana?

Jun 7, 2013 Full story: LiveScience 10

Gondwana was an ancient supercontinent that broke up about 180 million years ago.

Full Story

“What trolls???”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#1 Jun 10, 2013
No, a supercontinent is the only landmass currently on a planet. Besides Gondwana/Gondwanaland there was also Laurasia during that time.

“"I am error"”

Since: Apr 12

San Francisco

#2 Jun 10, 2013
Supercontinent doesn't HAVE to be the only continent on the planet, just a very large one, larger than the others. Today, actually, Afro-Eurasia fills this role. I think if millions of years from now, another civilization managed to see what the world was like in the Holocene era, they'd see 2 "supercontinents"- Afro-Eurasia and America, with Australia and Antarctica considered either very large islands or full blown continents.

Also, you can't bring up plate tectonics because Gondwana and Laurasia also comprised of multiple plates.

So I'd think they'd be a supercontinent, probably for at least Laurasia, but maybe not Gondwana, considering it was only South America and Africa (Although Africa is absolute MASSIVE- Mercator projections make it look smaller than it really is)

“What trolls???”

Location hidden

#3 Jun 10, 2013
Altanative Whatever wrote:
Supercontinent doesn't HAVE to be the only continent on the planet, just a very large one, larger than the others. Today, actually, Afro-Eurasia fills this role. I think if millions of years from now, another civilization managed to see what the world was like in the Holocene era, they'd see 2 "supercontinents"- Afro-Eurasia and America, with Australia and Antarctica considered either very large islands or full blown continents.
Also, you can't bring up plate tectonics because Gondwana and Laurasia also comprised of multiple plates.
So I'd think they'd be a supercontinent, probably for at least Laurasia, but maybe not Gondwana, considering it was only South America and Africa (Although Africa is absolute MASSIVE- Mercator projections make it look smaller than it really is)
Well, Laurasia and Gondwanaland were of similar size, definetely not supercontinents.

And also, Europe is not a continent, neither is Asia, there is only Eurasia really. Afro-Eurasia if you'd like to include Africa(absolute massive, yes!).

“"I am error"”

San Francisco

#4 Jun 10, 2013
You're correct. It was difficult to find maps of Laurasia and Gondwana which weren't just Pangaea maps with the northern part being Laurasia and the southern part being Gondwana.

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/vwdocs/vwlesso...

Apparently Arabia, India, and the rest of the southern half of the globe were joined with Gondwana.

Europe and Asia are still continents. There is no European or Asian tectonic plate, yes, but our understanding of continents far precedes our understanding of tectonic plates(Probably why Arabia and India are lumped into Asia!). Europe and Asia have been separate things for millenia now, you're not going to displace it just because of some silly tectonic plate thing.

“What trolls???”

Location hidden

#5 Jun 10, 2013
Altanative Whatever wrote:
You're correct. It was difficult to find maps of Laurasia and Gondwana which weren't just Pangaea maps with the northern part being Laurasia and the southern part being Gondwana.
http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/vwdocs/vwlesso...
Apparently Arabia, India, and the rest of the southern half of the globe were joined with Gondwana.
Europe and Asia are still continents. There is no European or Asian tectonic plate, yes, but our understanding of continents far precedes our understanding of tectonic plates(Probably why Arabia and India are lumped into Asia!). Europe and Asia have been separate things for millenia now, you're not going to displace it just because of some silly tectonic plate thing.
It isn't because of the plate tectonic thing, it is because there is no geographic separation of Europe and Asia. Sure, there's those Ural Mountains, but then why wouldn't we use the American Rockies and Appalachians to divide North American into three different continents.

See what I am talking about.

The terms Europe and Asia should only be used to describe different regions, not continents.

“What trolls???”

Location hidden

#6 Jun 10, 2013
Also, here's a better map:

http://www.google.com/imgres...

“What trolls???”

Location hidden

#7 Jun 10, 2013

“Australia's #1 Paleontologist”

Location hidden

#8 Jun 10, 2013
Gondwana was a supercontinent and so was Laurasia.

Whats the deal?

Pangea on the other hand was a super super continent (no im not taking the piss).

“What trolls???”

Location hidden

#9 Jun 11, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
Whats the deal?
Pangea on the other hand was a super super continent (no im not taking the piss).
A supercontinent is the only large landmass on a planet. Gondwanaland was not.

“"I am error"”

San Francisco

#10 Jun 11, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
Whats the deal?
No, either Gondwana and Laurasia were contients or all 3 were supercontinents.

There is no such thing as a super super continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercontinent

Wikipedia's definition says that Gondwana and Laurasia are NOT supercontinents.

I think it's debatable, depending on the definition of supercontinent you use. If it just means "A large continent", then the likes of Laurasia and Gondwana can be considered supercontinents. If it has to be the only landmass on the planet, they're not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paleontology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Demonstrators show support for jailed evangelist Mon paul porter 1
The Latest Anti-Science War: Christians Against... Feb 28 Fartosaurus Rex 4
Did Dinosaurs Hallucinate After Chewing Grass? Feb 12 Lawrence Wolf 11
10 Edinburgh attractions you have to visit Jan '15 carlthehiker 3
Firestorms Didn't Cause Dinosaur Extinction, St... Jan '15 malena83 1
Discover the Dinosaurs in Charlotte with your p... Jan '15 Fartosaurus Rex 1
Do we have any better chance at changing the co... Jan '15 Fartosaurus Rex R... 2
More from around the web