Dinosaurs 'shrank' to become birds

Dinosaurs 'shrank' to become birds

There are 15 comments on the BBC News story from Jul 31, 2014, titled Dinosaurs 'shrank' to become birds. In it, BBC News reports that:

Huge meat-eating, land-living dinosaurs evolved into birds by constantly shrinking for over 50 million years, scientists have revealed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BBC News.

john doe

London, UK

#1 Jul 31, 2014
Scientists have revealed or do you mean scientists suggest? This sounds like complete and utter nonsense and the wording in the article implies it to be fact. I very much doubt that this happened, but I am sure the masses will eat it all up.
Rolf Harris

Australia

#2 Jul 31, 2014
scientists have been nerds for over 100 years.
coelophysis

Knightdale, NC

#3 Aug 1, 2014
h gator e are l free l of o pineal gland=!
Mothman

Anonymous Proxy

#5 Aug 1, 2014
Doris McMorris

Denpasar, Indonesia

#6 Aug 1, 2014
Some birds may have expanded to become Dinosaurs. That's as good a hypothesis as the last one, I reckon.
Yep

Beverly, MA

#7 Aug 1, 2014
If you have ever had even a little budgie as a pet and experienced their fierce little personalities, they will make you believe that they have the heart of a dinosaur.

Feisty and determined.

If they were larger than you, there is no doubt that they would rip your head off.

Nothing personal, they just have a lot of enthusiasm for ripping things apart.
Myth Buster

Kuching, Malaysia

#8 Aug 1, 2014
There must be good reasons why large animal do not fly.
Zero to One Hundred

United States

#9 Aug 2, 2014
Dinosaurs evolved into humans. Same evil monstrous nature just in a more innocent form.
Myth Buster

Kuching, Malaysia

#10 Aug 2, 2014
Zero to One Hundred wrote:
Dinosaurs evolved into humans. Same evil monstrous nature just in a more innocent form.
Democrats or Republicans?
Prehistory

Woodbridge, Canada

#11 Aug 2, 2014
Zero to One Hundred wrote:
Whoa! Some dinosaurs were very aggressive but none of them had that evil monstrous nature as Homo sapiens.
candiru_attack

San Francisco, CA

#12 Aug 2, 2014
Myth Buster wrote:
There must be good reasons why large animal do not fly.
If you don't consider albatrosses large enough, then there is a reason, having to do with bat and bird physiology.

Birds have different, more efficient lungs than mammals like bats, as they obtain oxygen inhaling and exhaling through a convoluted system of sacs. Not having this means that bats can't grow that large. Birds would grow even larger if they didn't need powerful legs for takeoff as well as wings for, you know, flying. The square-cube law means that the larger animals get the more proportionally muscular they need to be to perform similar functions to a smaller animal. Pterosaurs, which had wingspans up to 40 feet, likely had bird-ish lungs and didn't need such muscular legs, so their wings could grow very large indeed.

(I'm fairly sure the person I replied to won't read this but someone else will)
conisder this

Richlands, VA

#13 Aug 2, 2014
You can go from 1 cell to more than I can count in 9 months, what makes you think it cant be done over a few thousand years
Myth Buster

Sibu, Malaysia

#14 Aug 2, 2014
candiru_attack wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't consider albatrosses large enough, then there is a reason, having to do with bat and bird physiology.
Birds have different, more efficient lungs than mammals like bats, as they obtain oxygen inhaling and exhaling through a convoluted system of sacs. Not having this means that bats can't grow that large. Birds would grow even larger if they didn't need powerful legs for takeoff as well as wings for, you know, flying. The square-cube law means that the larger animals get the more proportionally muscular they need to be to perform similar functions to a smaller animal. Pterosaurs, which had wingspans up to 40 feet, likely had bird-ish lungs and didn't need such muscular legs, so their wings could grow very large indeed.
(I'm fairly sure the person I replied to won't read this but someone else will)
May be Pterosaurs lived in a time when the atmospheric Oxygen concentration was much higher and was able to sustain a bigger body size while flying.
candiru_attack

San Francisco, CA

#15 Aug 2, 2014
http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/4963/...

"Based on their results, they determined that for much of the Earth's history dating back to the Triassic Period, oxygen levels hovered between 10 and 15 percent -- far below today's 21 percent and the 30 percent previous studies suggested characterized the Cretaceous Period, which lasted between 65-145 million years ago."

One period of really high oxygen levels was in the Carboniferous period, where various arthropods such as scorpions, millipedes, and (sort-of)dragonflies grew much larger than today.(It's a common misconception that there would have been giant flies/cockroaches/beetles/wasp s back then; none of those evolved until after the Carboniferous) There were no really gigantic vertebrates back then like in the Mesozoic, though.
coelophysis

Knightdale, NC

#16 Aug 2, 2014
pterosaur is a gator it can not fly ! no dinosaur can fly! pterosaur was extreme aquatic animal that why they have web finger and toe! they had 3 normal size free finger thAT WAS NOT ON wing HELLO it was weBBBB hELLO extreme aquatic croc have smooth skin like pterosaur! pterosaur can not have bird air sac it could not breath by that type of crocodile gastralia it had mobile pubis like fellow dino the gator! allso has no verticalised like fellow dino gharial and t.rex !!!!hellllllooo!!!!!+!=!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paleontology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Your View: Climate book documents threat to sur... Jan 9 Fartosaurus Rex 3
News Does Mike Pence Believe in Evolution? Dec 23 MIDutch 18
News Earthlings completely unprepared to deal with c... Dec 19 T-rex_Rules 7
News Earth is overdue for an 'extinction level' aste... Dec '16 T-rex_Rules 3
News Lubbock's bounty of free museums lure visitors ... Dec '16 Tom 1
News Shock claims Bible PROVES dinosaurs walked Eart... Dec '16 VeloRaptor 4
News Dinosaur stolen from pub garden (Dec '14) Nov '16 Idiots rule the w... 2
More from around the web