Cloud confusion swirls around climate...

Cloud confusion swirls around climate debate

There are 6 comments on the MSNBC story from Sep 20, 2011, titled Cloud confusion swirls around climate debate. In it, MSNBC reports that:

This summer, a widely derided study claiming to overturn the scientific consensus on clouds and climate change kicked off a mini-whirlwind in the climate science community.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MSNBC.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#1 Sep 20, 2011
There's no cloud confusion here among our knowledgeable alarmist correspondents, they know all the answers, and will soon be advising the scientists.
SpaceBlues

Palatine, IL

#2 Sep 25, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
There's no cloud confusion here among our knowledgeable alarmist correspondents, they know all the answers, and will soon be advising the scientists.
What might you have in mind with your reference to "our .. correspondents?"

Do your correspondents in your country, whether Spain or UK, advise scientists?

#3 Sep 26, 2011
SpaceBlues wrote:
What might you have in mind with your reference to "our .. correspondents?"
Our expert Topix correspondents, what else do you think I was referring to?
SpaceBlues wrote:
Do your correspondents in your country, whether Spain or UK, advise scientists?
A large majority of Europeans are sceptical of AGW as a threat to humanity.
SpaceBlues

Palatine, IL

#4 Sep 26, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Our expert Topix correspondents, what else do you think I was referring to?<quoted text>A large majority of Europeans are sceptical of AGW as a threat to humanity.
We're called posters, I think...

Correspondents might come up in your mind because you spent your days in these USA forums even though you clearly don't have a clue about our unique values and problems. But then that could be easier for you than mingle with the Europeans and understand them.

Would you provide your source(s) for your European comment? Because a "2009 Eurobarometer survey titled "Europeans' Attitude Toward Climate Change" notes that, on the average, Europeans rate climate change as the second most serious problem facing the world today, between "poverty, the lack of food and drinking water" and "a major global economic downturn". 87% of Europeans consider climate change to be a "very serious" or "serious" problem, while 10% "do not consider it a serious problem."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_c...

You appear to be in the 10%, in case you don't realize it..
Fun Facts

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Sep 26, 2011
Did you expect anything different from MSNBC?

Clouds are an intricate piece in the climate puzzle. Always have been.

The issue is that there is no way at the current time to measure cloud impact on climate in such a way as to be able to add it to a climate model.

When I lived in the midwest, I would say that the clouds came in October and stayed til April. Here in the southwest you can go days without seeing a cloud any month of the year.

Clouds reduce daytime temps but can increase nighttime temps. The former prevents solar insolation input the later prevent heat from escaping.

With this level of variability, it is not possible to create an equation that adequately expresses this value.

As I understand the recent paper published by Spencer, that is what he is saying. The climate models do not adequately account for the impact of clouds. Thru his study he demonstrates how much impact clouds can have.

And now that our sun's magnetosphere is shrinking due to lower activity, the heliosphere will contract allowing more cosmic rays into our system increasing cloud cover. And that to the equation.

So once again, climate is a million piece puzzle for which we have only begun to identify the edges.

#6 Sep 26, 2011
SpaceBlues wrote:
We're called posters, I think...
You're right, we are, but then you have the expert, know all, scientific posters, they're easily identified.
SpaceBlues wrote:
Correspondents
corĚreĚsponĚdent
n. 1. One who communicates by means of letters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges revolution to save Earth, fix 'perve... Jun 25 Sterkfontein Swar... 30
News Pope urges revolution to save Earth, fix 'perve... Jun 21 pazuzu 7
News Inter-decadal Pacific Oscillation Explains Glob... Apr '15 SpaceBlues 1
News Japanese reactor radiation detected off B.C. coast Apr '15 RDL 2
News Shrinking of Ice Shelves Raises Sea Level Concerns Apr '15 Earthling-1 10
News Pakistan earthquake island belching poisonous gas (Sep '13) Mar '15 MOMIN ANSARI 17
News Head of Episcopal Church: Denying Climate Chang... Mar '15 Cordwainer Trout 2
More from around the web