Pollution and global warming: Climate...

Pollution and global warming: Climate change in black and white

There are 14 comments on the The Economist story from Feb 17, 2011, titled Pollution and global warming: Climate change in black and white. In it, The Economist reports that:

When air pollution hurts people's health and heats up the climate it makes sense to do something about it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Economist.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#1 Feb 17, 2011
Everyone would like a cleaner environment, no one denies that, but apart from the most ecologically minded of alarmist tree hugger and those who don't have it anyway, the rest want electricity, trucks to deliver their food and personal transport.
There isn't enough soil out there for all of us to make full use of even if we all wanted to go back to the farm, those days are long gone.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#2 Feb 17, 2011
"There are numerous opportunities to reduce GHG emissions at low cost, some of which result in a net economic gain. Overall, emissions can be reduced at a cost which will not cripple the global economy. Moreover, these emissions reductions would have a significant positive economic impact by slowing global warming.

"We have the necessary technology. The net costs to implement them will not be crippling. The question remains - do we have the will to put forth the effort and initial investment to solve the problem?"

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warmin...

#3 Feb 18, 2011
"There are numerous opportunities to reduce GHG emissions at low cost......." and no matter how many of those opportunities are taken, the reduction can only be minuscule and a wasted effort until every single coal fired power station on the planet is replaced, all transport is converted to zero emissions and the global population has been reduced to a sustainable number, the mission will have been completed.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#4 Feb 18, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
"There are numerous opportunities to reduce GHG emissions at low cost......." and no matter how many of those opportunities are taken, the reduction can only be minuscule and a wasted effort until every single coal fired power station on the planet is replaced, all transport is converted to zero emissions and the global population has been reduced to a sustainable number, the mission will have been completed.
Ludicrous. Sufficiently reducing emissions means nothing of the sort.

#5 Feb 18, 2011
Natural sinks manage approximately 40% of human CO2 emissions, therefore to stop the rise of CO2 in the atmosphere, it would be necessary to cut emissions by 60%, to reduce it to 350 ppm, would necessitate a bigger cut.
Even IF that goal was achieved, GW would continue naturally.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#6 Feb 19, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
Natural sinks manage approximately 40% of human CO2 emissions, therefore to stop the rise of CO2 in the atmosphere, it would be necessary to cut emissions by 60%, to reduce it to 350 ppm, would necessitate a bigger cut.
Even IF that goal was achieved, GW would continue naturally.
You are making scientific statements without scientific references. Got any?

#7 Feb 20, 2011
Northie wrote:
You are making scientific statements without scientific references. Got any?
All of the. "scientific references" to my comments are common knowledge.

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#8 Feb 21, 2011
Nice to see you back. Did you enjoy your day off?

#9 Feb 21, 2011
Steve Case wrote:
Nice to see you back. Did you enjoy your day off?
Yes, thanks, I've enjoyed every day since I retired in 88.
Yesterday was enforced due to a bad internet connection, so I pruned some trees and cut some firewood.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#10 Feb 21, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>All of the. "scientific references" to my comments are common knowledge.
In other words, you are lying. Twice:

1) "Natural sinks manage approximately 40% of human CO2 emissions, therefore to stop the rise of CO2 in the atmosphere, it would be necessary to cut emissions by 60%."

2) "To reduce it to 350 ppm, would necessitate a bigger cut. Even IF that goal was achieved, GW would continue naturally."

#11 Feb 21, 2011
Northie wrote:
In other words, you are lying. Twice:
1) "Natural sinks manage approximately 40% of human CO2 emissions, therefore to stop the rise of CO2 in the atmosphere, it would be necessary to cut emissions by 60%."
2) "To reduce it to 350 ppm, would necessitate a bigger cut. Even IF that goal was achieved, GW would continue naturally."
All you have to do, is prove I'm lying, can you do that?
-
From one of your favourite websites:
1. "About 40% of this additional CO2 is absorbed."
http://www.skepticalscience.com/human-co2-sma...
2. "5. We need to rewire the world economy with alternative energy and get our emissions as close to zero as possible

To get atmospheric CO2 to stop rising, the scientists tell us that global emissions need to be cut by at least 50%."
http://co2now.org/Future-CO2/
Norfie, if you're going to argue, try using facts occasionally, before calling people liars.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#12 Feb 21, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>All you have to do, is prove I'm lying, can you do that?
"Even IF that goal was achieved, GW would continue naturally."

A lie, and you know it. The globe is not warming naturally now, it was not warming naturally 5,000 years ago, and we have no reason to think it will suddenly reverse course and warm naturally if we stop warming it ourselves.

http://www.ossfoundation.us/projects/environm...

(Revel in all the charts here, but don't miss the video.)

#13 Feb 22, 2011
Northie wrote:
"Even IF that goal was achieved, GW would continue naturally."
A lie, and you know it. The globe is not warming naturally now, it was not warming naturally 5,000 years ago, and we have no reason to think it will suddenly reverse course and warm naturally if we stop warming it ourselves.
http://www.ossfoundation.us/projects/environm...
(Revel in all the charts here, but don't miss the video.)
I see, from lying twice, I'm now down to one lie?
-
Scientific opinion on climate change
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opini...
If you care to highlight, "most" on that page, you'll find that almost every scientific academy listed claims that, "There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities."
Nowhere do any of them claim that 100% of warming is attributed to human emissions.
Which can mean ony one thing, Earth is warming naturally, assisted by humans.

#14 Feb 22, 2011
IPCC Fourth Assessment Report: Climate Change 2007
Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report
2. Causes of change
"Most of the observed increase in global average temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic GHG concentrations.[7] It is likely that there has been significant anthropogenic warming over the past 50 years averaged over each continent (except Antarctica)(Figure SPM.4).{2.4}"
http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/...
Note, "Most" and, "very likely."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poor Education Leads To Lost Dreams And Low Inc... Mar 31 The Real Karen 86
What is this formation called? Mar 26 STUDENT 1
News Volcano blows hole in global warming fight (Oct '10) Mar '17 Volcano 10
News Poor Education Leads To Lost Dreams And Low Inc... Mar '17 Jace 11
News Scientists Beg for Climate Action (Dec '07) Dec '16 Patriot 1,864
Lost in the sea (Sep '16) Sep '16 clement 1
News The world's clouds are in different places than... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Too Easy 14
More from around the web