UCSC researcher, elephant seals help ...

UCSC researcher, elephant seals help explain crumbling Antarctic ice shelf

There are 37 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 22, 2010, titled UCSC researcher, elephant seals help explain crumbling Antarctic ice shelf. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The satellite tag attached to the fur of this southern elephant seal can collect data for a year before being shed along with the fur during an annual molt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dig Deep

South San Francisco, CA

#22 Oct 22, 2010
Anti science.
Question what is wrong about clean air water and food. That's what we are talking about. We all can see with our eyes the degradation we demand to support our living model. To conserve to respect to not destroy just to make things cheap.
You chump anti liberal fools posting here just show how much you hate America.

“Dogma is poison.”

Since: May 09

Santa Cruz, CA

#23 Oct 22, 2010
Westside wrote:
...the ultra rich.... decide exactly what information you read or hear
Then how are you even telling us this? Do you have a secret, untraceable source that tells you The Truth? Everyone else, however, is either directly controlled or unwittingly duped by our shadowy liberal overlords, right?
...the ultra rich.... only reward scientists with the correct view. Just look at how anyone who denies the main scientific body is ostracized.
Oh, so now the "ultra rich" control all the scientists? And thus, all of the universities on the planet? And the research institutes, as well? This is odd, because it is the ultra-rich oil companies (and their buddies) who keep hiring "scientists" to conduct flawed/bogus studies which claim there's no problem, no warming, no worries.

Or could it be that honest hard-working scientists tend to be rather offended by folks who simply ignore the overwhelming body of available evidence? Especially when those deniers claim to also be scientists, yet are not doing accurate science? It's the same reason why evolutionary biologists (and anyone else with a brain) have absolutely no respect for the folks who work at the Discovery Institute and call themselves "scientists." We don't need our shadowy overlords to inform us that these folks aren't worthy of our respect -- we can figure that out on our own, thanks.

As for these "ultra rich" who control all the scientists (who mostly work at universities): Why don't they control all the other professors? For instance, why did "they" let Noam Chomsky continue at MIT for his entire career?

And the scientists: Do they know they're being controlled, but maintain strict silence about it? Or are they not even aware of the control? And if not, then how are you aware of it?
Anyway I think the safest bet is to try and inform yourselves on both sides of the argument. Understand exactly what carbon trading is before sliding into bed with Al Gore.
There aren't two legitimate sides. There's just a huge body of data. And the conclusions from that data are fairly straightforward... if you bother to inform yourself.

As for carbon trading, it *might* have some limited merit. But it's completely NOT the issue we're talking about.

Nice try.
Better luck next time.
Don't forget to breathe.
Michael

Santa Cruz, CA

#24 Oct 22, 2010
"Just look at how anyone who denies the main scientific body is ostracized."

This is true in any area of science. Bring the data. If you're contradicting what has been shown strongly to be true already, you better bring a LOT of very strong data. Or you will be ignored.

As it should be.
Westside

San Jose, CA

#25 Oct 22, 2010
amallama wrote:
<quoted text>
Then how are you even telling us this? Do you have a secret, untraceable source that tells you The Truth? Everyone else, however, is either directly controlled or unwittingly duped by our shadowy liberal overlords, right?
<quoted text>

No I am a liberal myself but am trying not to be blinded to believe one side of the story even if it is coming from the science community. You yourself state that scientists can be bought.
I have no secret source and am just observing the data from either side. I think if we reduce our dependency on fossil fuel that is great, but I also feel the warming could be attributed to the sun which some scientists feel may be happening. checkout the website wattsupwiththat.com The truth is our data collection is limited to less than a 100 years and even the data we have today has problems. Sea ice core samples can only tell you so much but what it does tell us is that warming and cooling is part of the earth’s cycles.

<quoted text>
Oh, so now the "ultra rich" control all the scientists? And thus, all of the universities on the planet? And the research institutes, as well? This is odd, because it is the ultra-rich oil companies (and their buddies) who keep hiring "scientists" to conduct flawed/bogus studies which claim there's no problem, no warming, no worries.
Or could it be that honest hard-working scientists tend to be rather offended by folks who simply ignore the overwhelming body of available evidence? Especially when those deniers claim to also be scientists, yet are not doing accurate science? It's the same reason why evolutionary biologists (and anyone else with a brain) have absolutely no respect for the folks who work at the Discovery Institute and call themselves "scientists." We don't need our shadowy overlords to inform us that these folks aren't worthy of our respect -- we can figure that out on our own, thanks.
As for these "ultra rich" who control all the scientists (who mostly work at universities): Why don't they control all the other professors? For instance, why did "they" let Noam Chomsky continue at MIT for his entire career?
And the scientists: Do they know they're being controlled, but maintain strict silence about it? Or are they not even aware of the control? And if not, then how are you aware of it?
<quoted text>

I never said they control scientists. Scientist follow the money like everyone else. If there is big money in global warming you will find more scientists in that subject area. Money allows them to have better tools, professionals and opportunity for exposure and notoriety. Not really hard to understand or justify that. Global warming is now big business.

<quoted text>
There aren't two legitimate sides. There's just a huge body of data. And the conclusions from that data are fairly straightforward... if you bother to inform yourself.
As for carbon trading, it *might* have some limited merit. But it's completely NOT the issue we're talking about.
Nice try.
Better luck next time.
Don't forget to breathe.
Of course it is the issue. It is being touted as the solution so how the heck is that not part of the issue. To make this easy for you to understand here is a nice video that explains cap and trade and why you need to open your eyes a little. And no this isn't propaganda from the far right this is reality.
Westside

San Jose, CA

#26 Oct 22, 2010
Michael wrote:
"Just look at how anyone who denies the main scientific body is ostracized."
This is true in any area of science. Bring the data. If you're contradicting what has been shown strongly to be true already, you better bring a LOT of very strong data. Or you will be ignored.
As it should be.
oh really.. tell that to Isaac Newton.
Dr Evil

Campbell, CA

#27 Oct 22, 2010
Deej wrote:
Take that junk off that poor elephant seals head you morons. What gives "scientists" the right to torture animals anyway? Maybe we should attach a camera to the marine biologists head and figure out what the heck makes them so cruel?
Oh please. I had a frikin "lazer" on the head of a shark and he didn't seem to mind.
Number Two

Berkeley, CA

#28 Oct 22, 2010
Dr Evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please. I had a frikin "lazer" on the head of a shark and he didn't seem to mind.
Actually, sir, we weren't able to create sharks with lasers on their heads. But we do have some ill tempered, mutated sea bass.
Dr Evil

Campbell, CA

#29 Oct 22, 2010
Number Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, sir, we weren't able to create sharks with lasers on their heads. But we do have some ill tempered, mutated sea bass.
That's sooo typical. Now you know why I call you "Number Two".
GOPuke 2010-12

Santa Cruz, CA

#30 Oct 22, 2010
time to knock off the OTHER high end predators(seal-sharks n such-sparing the food chain for overbreeding humans-

why should humans starve n seals/sharks etc... eat?? knock off the competition!
GOPuke 2010-12

Santa Cruz, CA

#31 Oct 22, 2010
predation-humans are high end predators-why "save" the other ones?? for what?? Knock em off n we have the food chain for ourselves-even dolphins compete for OUR fish!

gotta go now-my mama is having another baby!
GOPuke 2010-12

Santa Cruz, CA

#32 Oct 22, 2010
"science"??? people enjoy the right to overbreed-n we need to bump off all other predators, to survive

why share our food with f...king seals? as kids (in poor countries)starve for fish.
GOPuke 2010-12

Santa Cruz, CA

#33 Oct 22, 2010
how many fish to support one of them big pieces of blubber???
bcjams

Fremont, CA

#34 Oct 22, 2010
why are all the planets showing signs of global warming? they are you know.
Susan

Santa Cruz, CA

#35 Oct 23, 2010
Westside wrote:
<quoted text>
oh really.. tell that to Isaac Newton.
??? Newton was very well respected, including in his own time. I can't imagine what you mean. He faced challenges for his religious views.
Not Really

Campbell, CA

#36 Oct 23, 2010
Susan wrote:
<quoted text>
??? Newton was very well respected, including in his own time. I can't imagine what you mean. He faced challenges for his religious views.
He faced challenges for his scientific views not religious views..
Moneta

Ben Lomond, CA

#37 Oct 24, 2010
Krazed Hipster wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI, I did RTFA. I am a strong supported of real science. But when we fund studies that only confirm the obvious, I just wonder why. We've known for decades that the oceans are getting warmer. This does cause the ice caps to melt. Why are we contribiting to problem by running bunk studies that involve oil fired vessels?
I guess they just don't teach rational thought, nor deductive reasoning up at Party Time U.
Plus your sense of humor seems to be broken.
I see. "The food-web relationships that support large ocean predators like elephant seals" and mapping the sea floor under the Antarctic ice shelf are obvious to you.

You could save us millions of dollars with your powers!
Michael

Santa Cruz, CA

#38 Oct 25, 2010
I think Not Really and Susan are both right. Newton faced criticism for both his Principia scientific conclusions as well as for his religious writings. However, neither was dire. He was recognized as a remarkable scientist in his own lifetime. I don't understand the comment from Westside either. Newton was challenging commonly held thought. He brought powerful new mathematical ideas as proof. He *is* an example of how science is supposed to work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Japanese reactor radiation detected off B.C. coast Sun Capt cavedude 3
News Officials solve mystery of explosion on Rhode I... Jul 24 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News New research maps out trajectory of April 2015 ... Jul 24 Kate 1
News Pope urges revolution to save Earth, fix 'perve... Jul 20 ELIAS IBARRA 9
News Pope urges revolution to save Earth, fix 'perve... Jun '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 30
News Inter-decadal Pacific Oscillation Explains Glob... Apr '15 SpaceBlues 1
News Shrinking of Ice Shelves Raises Sea Level Concerns Apr '15 Earthling-1 10
More from around the web