Sea level rise: It's worse than we th...

Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought

There are 3768 comments on the New Scientist story from Jul 2, 2009, titled Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought. In it, New Scientist reports that:

FOR a few minutes David Holland forgets about his work and screams like a kid on a roller coaster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New Scientist.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#2850 Jul 11, 2013
Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty is full of dubious facts:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Science is theory ...
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#2851 Jul 11, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientific facts are the basic foundations of all scientific investigations. They are considered as such unless it is found that they are invalid. Until that time, they are considered basic facts. If there were no basic facts science could not exist.
Exactly what I said. I just pointed out that it extends to 'facts' that are not considered 'science'. i.e I look at a house and see that the side I can see is white. I say 'that house is white'. I then walk around it and find that the back in painted green. REALITY has not changed but my 'facts' have. All 'facts' are by nature 'incomplete' as we don't know everything. But we DO have a 'working knowledge' and everything in that working knowledge is considered a 'fact' until revised by more precise or contradictory information.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#2852 Jul 11, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty is full of dubious facts:<quoted text>
tinyurl.com/2d83jrk

The definitions of science are not changed by Mr. Dirtling, despite his continued delusional state.

#2853 Jul 11, 2013
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
The definitions of science are not changed
Good of you to acknowledge that fact.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
by Mr. Dirtling, despite his continued delusional state.
Some things never change, particularly your use of ad hominem that you hope covers your ignorance.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2854 Jul 11, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what I said. I just pointed out that it extends to 'facts' that are not considered 'science'. i.e I look at a house and see that the side I can see is white. I say 'that house is white'. I then walk around it and find that the back in painted green. REALITY has not changed but my 'facts' have. All 'facts' are by nature 'incomplete' as we don't know everything. But we DO have a 'working knowledge' and everything in that working knowledge is considered a 'fact' until revised by more precise or contradictory information.
The fact is that the front side of the house is white and will remain so until something changes it. Science depends upon basic facts.

#2855 Jul 12, 2013
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
I look at a house and see that the side I can see is white. I say 'that house is white'.
That's called making an assumption, or jumping to a conclusion, not very scientific.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
I then walk around it and find that the back in[sic] painted green. REALITY has not changed but my 'facts' have. All 'facts' are by nature 'incomplete' as we don't know everything. But we DO have a 'working knowledge' and everything in that working knowledge is considered a 'fact' until revised by more precise or contradictory information.
You need to find a better analogy, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty, your green and white house may be brown on the other side, with a blue front.
You only checked one side and the back, remember?

#2856 Jul 12, 2013
Bozo wrote:
Scientific theories never become facts, dummy.
Why didn't you use the same terminology when responding to LessFact?

He's the 'educated' crank that insists "It is just a scientific fact (aka theory)."
And:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
And theory is the endpoint of science. The 'unproven' stuff is 'hypothesis'. The fact that all the scientific authorities confirm AGW as theory means that it IS science fact as defined.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/vacaville-ca/...

Location hidden

#2857 Jul 13, 2013
National Geographic states sea level will rise from 2.5 to 6.5 feet this century. How much will that cost? About 39% of population lives in coastal areas.
http://ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/cri...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2858 Jul 13, 2013
Sea levels rose by 17 cm last century and the rate has accelerated to more than 3 mm a year, according to the IPCC. A third of the current rise is from Antarctica and Greenland.

Almost 200 governments have agreed to limit global warming to less than 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial times and plan to agree, by the end of 2015, a deal to curb emissions.

Global average surface temperatures have risen by 0.8C (1.4F) since the Industrial Revolution and the IPCC has said temperatures are likely to be 0.4 to 1.0 degrees Celsius warmer from 2016-35 than in the two decades to 2005.

“In the past there was some uncertainty and people haven’t known by how much,” Levermann said.“We’re saying now, taking everything we know, that we’ve got a robust estimate of 2.3 meters (7 feet, 6.6 inches) of rising sea per degree (Celsius) of warming.”

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp... \07\14\story_14-7-2013_pg4_12

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#2859 Jul 14, 2013
Here's my post on that from another thread:
DrD wrote:
This news article did not seem to digest very well in the international news media,
So what?
DrD wrote:
with odd references made to what sceptics think (?).
Looks like you don't like objective journalism.
DrD wrote:
If 2.3 m sea level rise is a consequence of 1 C temperature rise,
Do you guys EVER do the math? The article said temperatures were up 0.8°C since the industrial revolution. Simple arithmetic, 0.8°C times 2.3 meters per degree comes to 1.84 meters, a bit more than the 17 cm that they quote for the rise last century.
DrD wrote:
then it would appear that governments are content with a dangerous 2 C temperature rise (the so called acceptable limit) and about 4.6 m of sea level rise by 2100. A reasoned analysis of the new study by Anders Levermann et al., is that governments and the news media are still out of touch with the global warming problem.
Governmets and "science" are out of touch with reality.
DrD wrote:
Sea levels rose by 17 cm last century and the rate has accelerated to more than 3 mm a year,
That is so much fabricated bullshit. I've posted elsewhere on these boards that demonstrate how the numbers have been inflated. Besides, over the last 20 years of the era of satellite sea level data, the rate has slowed down. Here's a link for that:
http://www.aviso.oceanobs.com/fileadmin/docum...
DrD wrote:
according to the IPCC. A third of the current rise is from Antarctica and Greenland.
Antarctica according to the IPCC will onctribute negatively to sea level rise this century. See table 10.7 here:
http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/...

#2860 Jul 14, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
National Geographic states sea level will rise from 2.5 to 6.5 feet this century.
And you believe a magazine article.
It just goes to show how easily some people are duped.

Priceless.

#2861 Jul 14, 2013
Spacehopper posts stuff he copies from websites without understanding the content or making any attempt to verify its accuracy.

Location hidden

#2862 Jul 14, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>And you believe a magazine article.
It just goes to show how easily some people are duped.
Priceless.
I simply posted a link to the article. I try to assimilate information from many sources unlike some who post trollish comments. National Geographic is a respected layman periodical. Much more so than the likes of Anthony Watts. Or do you just make stuff up?

But what else can one expect from a senile old social dropout, bully and troll?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2863 Jul 14, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
[namecalling] posts stuff he copies from websites without understanding the content or making any attempt to verify its accuracy.
You posted this without comprehending my post.

So much like your icon spamming any and all of my posts, dirt.

Aww, what do you know of my activities? Nothing.

#2864 Jul 14, 2013
SpaceHopper wrote:
what do you know of my activities?
Exactly what you make obvious in your thoughtless posts.

Since: Apr 13

Scappoose, Oregon USA

#2865 Jul 14, 2013
This is a very interesting subject now that sea level rise is a documented fact, and that it is indeed happening much faster than predicted. But so is the planetary warming curve in general! And yes that is a fact to, documented and proven people need to pull their head out of the sand and stop denying. Pacific islands have become uninhabitable to the indigenous peoples which had lived there since before recorded visits, since those islands are basically sand on top of coral heads and porous, the water rises right up through the ground at many parts of the island. This is true of some islands within the Fiji group, Mindanao, etc. What I find of interest is that the city I live in is on a tributary river, with only 49 feet of drop over its run to the Pacific Ocean, some 90 miles to the West. It has good flow, meaning good volume, but as the sea level rises so will rise the tributary rivers, and the downtown area will get more and more susceptible to seasonal floods of the river which are currently held back by the seawall. I don't live in one of those areas of town, but hey – it's still my city!
US Huh

Hampton, VA

#2866 Jul 14, 2013
Peron wrote:
Yep, it gets warmer, big deal, happened before. Nothing is new under the sun.
Exactly! Its warmer, but there is nothing man can or is willing to do to stop it. We could get the likes of Ted Turner, Al Gore, and the pseudo thespians to consign themselves to one vehicle and house, like most Americans. We can get China and India to stop manufacturing goods the world wants, we could stop fueling the war machines of every nation, or at least get DC to stop bellowing hot air out there mouths. But none of that is going to happen. So wear a short sleeve shirt, drink an extra beer, and let the grass grow longer and enjoy the end.

#2867 Jul 14, 2013
Jenji wrote:
This is a very interesting subject now that sea level rise is a documented fact, and that it is indeed happening much faster than predicted.
How much "faster than predicted" is it rising?

How fast was it predicted to rise initially?

If you're unable to answer those questions, you shouldn't be posting here.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#2868 Jul 14, 2013
Steve Case wrote:
Here's my post on that from another thread:
<quoted text>
So what?
Nuff said. Go back to sleep. The ignorant and unconcerned are usually not very good at making a case either way.

#2869 Jul 14, 2013
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Go back to sleep.
It's high time you woke up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poor Education Leads To Lost Dreams And Low Inc... Mar '17 The Real Karen 85
What is this formation called? Mar '17 STUDENT 1
News Volcano blows hole in global warming fight (Oct '10) Mar '17 Volcano 10
News Poor Education Leads To Lost Dreams And Low Inc... Mar '17 Jace 11
News Scientists Beg for Climate Action (Dec '07) Dec '16 Patriot 1,864
Lost in the sea (Sep '16) Sep '16 clement 1
News The world's clouds are in different places than... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Too Easy 14
More from around the web