Sea level rise: It's worse than we th...

Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought

There are 3768 comments on the New Scientist story from Jul 2, 2009, titled Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought. In it, New Scientist reports that:

FOR a few minutes David Holland forgets about his work and screams like a kid on a roller coaster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New Scientist.

SpaceBlues

United States

#2808 May 8, 2013
b_gone is broke .. it has reached an end point.

It does not know what any poster prefer. It prefers itself ad hominem fallacies, irrationality, and defamation. Now it is broke.
SpaceBlues

United States

#2809 May 8, 2013
b_gone is broke ..

It does not know what any poster prefers.

b_gone is broke .. it has reached an end point.
SpaceBlues

United States

#2810 May 8, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
You can create a trend of any slope if you pick the right start and end dates..
What's your point?

http://vimeo.com/groups/189916/videos/6551234...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2812 Jul 4, 2013
Locally, changes in coastal ocean temperatures can be much more extreme than global averages imply.

In the North Pacific and North Atlantic, there has been warming trend. In some areas, changes in temperature of +/-2.5 degrees Celsius, which is 3 times higher than the global average, were detected. Climate change is happening everywhere – just not necessarily at the same rate, or even in the same direction. For example, if you live on Cape Cod, your conditions are warming three times faster than global averages imply, while in Santiago, Chile, coastal waters have been getting cooler.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2813 Jul 5, 2013
The Global Climate 2001-2010 a Decade of Climate Extremes Summary Report

"Climate change refers to long-term changes in the average state of the climate and can also be due to natural factors. The rapid changes that have occurred since the middle of the past century, however, have been caused largely by humanity’s emissions of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Other human activities also affect the climate system, including emissions of pollutants and other aerosols, and changes to the land surface, such as urbanization and deforestation."
WMO-No. 1119
http://library.wmo.int/pmb_ged/wmo_1119_en.pd...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2814 Jul 5, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
What's your point?[URL deleted]
You can create a trend line with any slope if you pick the right start and end points. Trends can't tell us about future change, only about past change.

BTW, the oceans aren't acidic, they are alkaline.
SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#2815 Jul 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You can create a trend line with any slope if you pick the right start and end points. Trends can't tell us about future change, only about past change.
BTW, the oceans aren't acidic, they are alkaline.
You don't know what you are copying from science.

By the way, you are ignorant.
SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#2816 Jul 6, 2013
As ocean waters absorb CO2 they become more acidic. This does not mean the oceans will become acid. Ocean life can be sensitive to slight changes in pH levels, and any drop in pH is an increase in acidity, even in an alkaline environment.

The acidity of global surface waters has increased by 30% in just the last 200 years. This rate of acidification is projected through the end of the century to accelerate even further

http://www.skepticalscience.com/ocean-acidifi...
SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#2817 Jul 6, 2013
The current rate of change is much more rapid than during any event over the last 65 million years. These changes in ocean chemistry are irreversible for many thousands of years, and the biological consequences could last much longer."
- The InterAcademy Panel, June 1, 2009
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#2818 Jul 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
SpaceBlues won't engage the issue, a slope is defined by the start and end points. Instead, he prefers ad hominem fallacies, irrationality, insults and defamation.
If you believe in science, cite the most compelling experiment you've found for climate change mitigation.
You already said that mitigation works.

You said we're mitigating the hell out of the next ice age with our warming pollution.

Getting paid to lie is a suck-ass job. How do you do it? Do you look in the mirror every morning and say, "I'm a paid liar, dishonest and unpatriotic, and I'm proud of it"?
SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#2819 Jul 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
SpaceBlues won't engage the issue, a slope is defined by the start and end points. Instead, he prefers ad hominem fallacies, irrationality, insults and defamation.
If you believe in science, cite the most compelling experiment you've found for climate change mitigation.
LIAR. You posted as always ad hominem fallacies, irrationality, insults, and defamation.

You are paid to lie here by the fossil fuels guys. Your posts are always incorrect in science.

It is not true that "Instead, he prefers ad hominem fallacies, irrationality, insults[sic] and defamation." You are the one who is known to prefer that and has done that. Just ask poster "litesong." How dare you lie about me!

I know science to be able to know that you don't know science.
SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#2820 Jul 6, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>to b_gone:
You said we're mitigating the hell out of the next ice age with our warming pollution.
Getting paid to lie is a suck-ass job. How do you do it? Do you look in the mirror every morning and say, "I'm a paid liar, dishonest and unpatriotic, and I'm proud of it"?
b_gone is desperate.

Yours is a great post btw.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#2821 Jul 6, 2013
South Florida is in trouble...NOW. Global warming's sea level rise is about to cost Floridians millions of dollars and may only be a temporary solution.

This is from October of 2012, but still relevant.

http://www.google.com/url...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#2822 Jul 6, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>b_gone is desperate.
Yours is a great post btw.
Thanx. But, together, we're killin''em.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#2823 Jul 6, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
No, gcaveman1 misunderstands, I've never claimed climate change mitigation has been demonstrated to 'work'. It's never been experimentally tested, I've claimed we don't know if climate change mitigation would help or harm.

gcaveman1 wrote:
That's not true either; I wrote that if we assume AGW theory is true, then our greenhouse gas emissions are already mitigating climate change against catastrophic global cooling. Gcaveman1 doesn't understand the full argument, it's based on an assumption, if that assumption is false, then the conclusion might also be false.

The crucial point, because AGW theory hasn't been experimentally tested, we can't measure climate change mitigation.

gcaveman1 wrote:
Getting paid to lie is a suck-ass job.
I wouldn't know, I'll take gcaveman1's word for it, he must know.

gcaveman1 wrote:
How do you do it? Do you look in the mirror every morning and say, "I'm a paid liar, dishonest and unpatriotic, and I'm proud of it"?
Again, I don't know how to get paid for posting your opinions on Topix. I believe gcaveman1 is sincere, thanks for the insight.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#2824 Jul 6, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
...You are paid to lie here by the fossil fuels guys.
^^^That's absurd.

I post here because I want to share my opinion that we should wait for experiments on climate change mitigation published in peer reviewed before we decide on policy. That way, we would be able to make informed decisions instead of decisions based on irrational fear.

SpaceBlues wrote:
Your posts are always incorrect in science...I know science to be able to know that you don't know science.
I've posted my understanding of the scientific method, theories that are experimentally tested are more robust than theories like AGW, without any experimental tests.

Since we've never seen an experimental test of either AGW or climate change mitigation, then man made catastrophic global warming alarmism is pseudoscience and climate change mitigation is a hoax.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2825 Jul 7, 2013
Yu got old Big_Goof treading water!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#2826 Jul 7, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, gcaveman1 misunderstands, I've never claimed climate change mitigation has been demonstrated to 'work'. It's never been experimentally tested, I've claimed we don't know if climate change mitigation would help or harm.
<quoted text>That's not true either; I wrote that if we assume AGW theory is true, then our greenhouse gas emissions are already mitigating climate change against catastrophic global cooling. Gcaveman1 doesn't understand the full argument, it's based on an assumption, if that assumption is false, then the conclusion might also be false.
The crucial point, because AGW theory hasn't been experimentally tested, we can't measure climate change mitigation.
<quoted text>I wouldn't know, I'll take gcaveman1's word for it, he must know.
<quoted text>Again, I don't know how to get paid for posting your opinions on Topix. I believe gcaveman1 is sincere, thanks for the insight.
No, lying Brian, you misunderstand the difference between the truth and a lie.

This is what you wrote on 3/28/13:
“Using fossil fuel helps free ancient carbon back into the atmosphere where it can do some good. Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling; the well known ice age climate scenario.“

You already believe in mitigation. You said you did. You named a process and pointed to an example. You have no argument anymore, if you ever had one.

There was nothing about assumptions in that statement. You never said we assume. There were no "if's" in your statement.

You're a LIAR!

Did you think we had forgotten what you said? No. It was such an extraordinary admission from you that I filed it back for future reference. It will continue to haunt you, every time you try to use that idiotic claim.

And you know damn well that your job as a paid liar is a suck-ass job. You think that every time you look in the mirror; maybe you feel a little shame then, or maybe you are exceptionally good at lying to yourself.
SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#2827 Jul 7, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^That's absurd.
I post here because I want to share my opinion ..
<quoted text>I've posted my understanding of the scientific method,..
Your opinion or your understanding of the scientific method has no relevance to climate science.

However, you should be concerned about your neighborhood unless you live in Las Cruces:

[AP] The normally tame Bow and Elbow Rivers that course their way through downtown Calgary, Alberta, have taken over the city, transforming Canada's fourth-largest city into North America's Venice. A slow-moving storm system, coming on top of an unusually wet spring, has produced massive flooding across southern Alberta, prompting tens of thousands to hastily evacuate sections of Calgary, and producing surreal images of the city's landmarks, such as the Calgary Stampede grounds, under several feet of water.

According to CBC News reports, the resort town of Banff has been cut off from road access after a torrent of water and mud took out a section of the Trans-Canada Highway. The picturesque Banff and Canmore areas to the northwest of Calgary received more than 6 inches of rain on June 20 alone, and have received more than 200 percent of their typical monthly rainfall during the past month.

The situation in Alberta is only the latest example of destructive flooding events that have struck disparate locations in the Northern Hemisphere during the past two months. Germany, Hungary, and the Czech Republic all were deluged with some of their worst flooding in decades during May and June, and torrential downpours related to the South Asian Monsoon killed nearly 600 in India this week, as the mighty Ganges River swelled near Haridwar, about 130 miles north of New Delhi.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#2828 Jul 7, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
No, lying Brian, you misunderstand the difference between the truth and a lie.
We've discussed this before, I've admitted the omission and pointed out my assumption was tacit in that one example. I'll be more explicit in future.

gcaveman1 wrote:
This is what you wrote on 3/28/13:
“Using fossil fuel helps free ancient carbon back into the atmosphere where it can do some good. Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling; the well known ice age climate scenario.“
Exactly, and before that I wrote:

www.topix.com/forum/city/decatur-tn/TJ3D5ROB9... ;
Apr 28, 2012
"If man made CO2 emissions cause global warming, then we are already mitigating climate change against global cooling, the catastrophic ice age climate scenario."

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/farmington-nm...
Mar 13, 2013
"If man made greenhouse gas emissions change climate then we are already mitigating climate change against global cooling, the catastrophic ice age scenario."

www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TGB40JAEPL... ;
Dec 5, 2011
"If man made greenhouse gas emissions warm the climate then we are already mitigating climate change against global cooling, the catastrophic ice age climate scenario."

www.topix.com/forum/us/TJCAIRS3N6A9PIG3P/p66&... ;
Aug 18, 2010
"I've argued that there are no tests for climate change mitigation,... If man's CO2 emissions change climate then we're already mitigating against global cooling, the catastrophic ice age climate scenario."

gcaveman1 chooses not to take the tacit assumption, "if man's CO2 emissions change climate", so I'll be sure to explicitly state that condition in future posts. Now that we agree on conditions, I'll thank gcaveman1, not to intentionally misrepresent (lie about) my position.

gcaveman1 wrote:
You already believe in mitigation. You said you did. You named a process and pointed to an example. You have no argument anymore, if you ever had one.
I have rational arguments, we're not dealing with the same facts.

gcaveman1 wrote:
There was nothing about assumptions in that statement. You never said we assume. There were no "if's" in your statement.
http://www.topix.com/forum/af/kabul/TJCAIRS3N...
Jul 4, 2012
"If man made greenhouse gas emissions change global climate then we are already mitigating climate change against global cooling; the indirectly observed ice ball Earth catastrophe.

Please, don't stop emitting CO2."

Also, please don't misrepresent my argument by pretending I've never assumed AGW theory might be true and drawing conclusions from that point. We disagree on policy, I oppose taking action driven by panic, hate, fear and other emotional forcings.

[QUOTE who="gcaveman1"]You' re a LIAR! Did you think we had forgotten what you said? No. It was such an extraordinary admission from you that I filed it back for future reference. It will continue to haunt you, every time you try to use that idiotic claim.
It's obvious, gcaveman1 has forgotten the multitude of posts where I explicitly stated an assumption and forgot to include it on a later post. So sorry, will improve for the learning impaired.

gcaveman1 wrote:
And you know damn well that your job as a paid liar is a suck-ass job. You think that every time you look in the mirror; maybe you feel a little shame then, or maybe you are exceptionally good at lying to yourself.
I'm not paid to post here, stop acting like an idiot. Who in their right mind would pay anyone to post or read anything on Topix? Please get a grip.

When you leave your conspiracy theory paranoia and see many people hold diverse opinions on climate change mitigation; we can discuss this like adults. I oppose restricting CO2 emissions because if we don't emit CO2 we die. Let's cut to the chase.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scientists Beg for Climate Action (Dec '07) Dec 1 indict EXXON 1,863
Lost in the sea Sep '16 clement 1
News The world's clouds are in different places than... Jul '16 Too Easy 14
News With La Nina around the corner, dry weather in ... Jun '16 Kev 1
News new Scientists find minivan-sized sponge, world... (May '16) May '16 Jack 8
News As Canada probes Haida Gwaii ocean fertilizing,... (Apr '16) Apr '16 lotsa fish poop p... 1
News El Nino, La Nina patterns may be keys to predic... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web