Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought

Jul 2, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: New Scientist

FOR a few minutes David Holland forgets about his work and screams like a kid on a roller coaster.

Comments
2,661 - 2,680 of 3,119 Comments Last updated Jun 23, 2014
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
I wasn't the one who confused habitat destruction with man made climate change; that was SpaceBlues.
Show where I confused habitat destruction with man-made climate change!

LIAR. You admit thereby you lie.

Fair Game: "...vigorously defending statements or positions they know to be illogical or untrue."

That's what Brian's all about.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>to b_gone:

No. Did you read your link?
Peter Kirk, who covered the discovery for the British Tarantula Society's journal: It "highlights that we risk destroying the habitats of species new to science and condemning them to extinction before they are even discovered."
b_gone was caught lying again.

Fair Game: "...vigorously defending statements or positions they know to be illogical or untrue."

That's what Brian's all about.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

There's no evidence man made climate change is causing extinction events; no species extinctions have been attributed to man made climate change in peer reviewed journals.

On the other hand, new species are being discovered every day. Perhaps our fossil fuel emissions do more good than harm.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Seymour Laxon's work led to the first detailed map of the Arctic gravity field. RIP.

My friend Seymour Laxon, who has died aged 49 after sustaining a head injury during a fall, was an internationally respected Earth scientist. Seymour used satellites to observe the polar ice caps and the focus of his research was sea ice, a key factor in understanding the global climate since it acts as a barrier to heat and moisture exchange between the ocean and the atmosphere.

Seymour was the only child of Veronica, a psychology lecturer, and Bill, a civil engineer and pioneer of computer-aided design. Inheriting his father's interest in computers, as a teenager Seymour was one of the generation who cut their teeth programming the first home computers in the early 1980s.

He studied physics and astronomy at University College London, where his neat and structured lecture notes showed a clear and well-organised mind at work. It was no surprise when he went on to undertake a PhD at UCL's Mullard Space Science Laboratory in Surrey. There, he met his partner of 19 years Fiona Strawbridge.

Seymour's scientific breakthrough was to distinguish the ice surface from the water surface in satellite radar altimeter measurements of ice-covered oceans. This led to the first detailed map of the Arctic gravity field, revealing new tectonic features beneath the seafloor, and water circulation beneath the ice. His work helped give the European Space Agency the confidence to build CryoSat, a satellite dedicated to observing the Earth's ice-covered regions, launched in 2010.

Seymour taught at UCL's department of space and climate physics, before moving to the department of Earth sciences, where he was director of the Centre for Polar Observation and Modelling. He was awarded his chair in climate physics in 2012.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2013/fe ...

A cyclist killed in a crash in central London was a talented scientist doing research on global warming, her employer has said. RIP.

Dr Katharine Giles, a lecturer at University College London (UCL), was on her way to work when she collided with a tipper truck in Victoria on Monday.

She had travelled to the Arctic and the Antarctic to study the sea ice.

Dr Giles had a "bright future" and was "ready to provide the next generation of leadership" in the field, UCL said.

Dr Giles had taken on new commitments at the Centre for Polar Observation and Modelling at UCL following the accidental death of her colleague Seymour Laxon earlier this year.

A statement from the head of the earth sciences department, Prof Phil Meredith, said: "Coming so soon after the accidental death of Katharine's own closest colleague, Seymour Laxon, we are all left with a sense of the outrageous unfairness with which some of our best colleagues have been taken from us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-2 ...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

How to plan for USA to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 80 percent by mid-century?

Step 1: Cut global warming pollution via "strong legislation that caps carbon emissions and makes polluters pay for the global warming gases they produce."

Step 2: Invest more in green jobs and clean energy.

Step 3: Manufacture more fuel efficient cars.

Step 4: Provide green homes and buildings.

Step 5: Build more sustainable communities and transportation networks.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

USGS: "By taking wave-driven processes into account, we forecast that many of the atolls will be inundated, contaminating freshwater supplies and thus making the [Pacific] islands uninhabitable, much sooner."

The USGS team said at least twice as much land would be underwater in parts of the region when compared with data from the old research model.

Rising sea levels attributed in part to melting sea ice and warmer temperature trends are threatening low-lying regions.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Energy-Resou...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
How to plan for USA to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 80 percent by mid-century?
And cut economic activity by 80%:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Step 1: Cut global warming pollution via "strong legislation that caps carbon emissions and makes polluters pay for the global warming gases they produce."
Cape and trade CO2, that's failed everywhere its tried, too easy to cheat.

A new tax would take money out of the consumer's hands, that demand will go to government, not the market where it does good.

SpaceBlues wrote:
Step 2: Invest more in green jobs and clean energy.
To the left, invest doesn't mean using your own money to grow and protect capital, they mean using your money; government spending and your taxes. I oppose investing in green energy, let the market work without government interference. We've had enough investing in green energy, maybe better we should invest in fossil fuel.

SpaceBlues wrote:
Step 3: Manufacture more fuel efficient cars.
I don't like lighter, slower and less powerful cars; why not dump conservation and encourage the production and use of energy and fuel? Why perpetuate panic when we've got all the oil, coal and gas we need?

Hybrid cars have more than one motor moving your car, more systems to break down. Solar power won't move cars and batteries are too heavy and inefficient.

Dump fuel efficiency, better to have market efficiency.

SpaceBlues wrote:
Step 4: Provide green homes and buildings.
Like we haven't spent billions doing this already? How many green buildings do you want?

Worry about your own home, get government out of the markets, let people live as they like.

SpaceBlues wrote:
Step 5: Build more sustainable communities and transportation networks.
Taxis are the only form of public transportation that don't require government subsidy. Governments make money off taxi licenses.

Quit forcing people into densely populated cities and out of our cars. We love our cars as much as you love climate.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Do politicians or scientist have a vested interest in a compliant population or an intelligent and informed citizenry?

Make decisions based on facts not fears.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

The experts say it is much worse than we thought.

These forecasts do not cause me to be afraid.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>And cut economic activity by 80%:
<quoted text>Cape and trade CO2, that's failed everywhere its tried, too easy to cheat.
A new tax would take money out of the consumer's hands, that demand will go to government, not the market where it does good.
<quoted text>To the left, invest doesn't mean using your own money to grow and protect capital, they mean using your money; government spending and your taxes. I oppose investing in green energy, let the market work without government interference. We've had enough investing in green energy, maybe better we should invest in fossil fuel.
<quoted text>I don't like lighter, slower and less powerful cars; why not dump conservation and encourage the production and use of energy and fuel? Why perpetuate panic when we've got all the oil, coal and gas we need?
Hybrid cars have more than one motor moving your car, more systems to break down. Solar power won't move cars and batteries are too heavy and inefficient.
Dump fuel efficiency, better to have market efficiency.
<quoted text>Like we haven't spent billions doing this already? How many green buildings do you want?
Worry about your own home, get government out of the markets, let people live as they like.
<quoted text>Taxis are the only form of public transportation that don't require government subsidy. Governments make money off taxi licenses.
Quit forcing people into densely populated cities and out of our cars. We love our cars as much as you love climate.
So why are they still searching for fossil fuels? They spent last year almost half a trillion dollars when only a quarter of what's known could be burned in any conceivable future?

So you love cars more than climate. We knew that already. Duh.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
The experts say it is much worse than we thought.
These forecasts do not cause me to be afraid.

Insurance rates are against you. Duh.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
So why are they still searching for fossil fuels? They spent last year almost half a trillion dollars when only a quarter of what's known could be burned in any conceivable future?
So you love cars more than climate. We knew that already. Duh.
Fossil fuels are so useful and profitable, they'll always be needed and used. New production techniques keep down costs. We have all the oil we'll ever need already on the continent. And now we're able to export more.

The Alarmists are working with OPEC, to create a false sense of rarity to justify higher energy prices.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Fossil fuels are so useful and profitable, they'll always be needed and used. New production techniques keep down costs. We have all the oil we'll ever need already on the continent. And now we're able to export more.
The Alarmists are working with OPEC, to create a false sense of rarity to justify higher energy prices.
Huh??

You continue to be reality-challenged.

It's still true that half a trillion $$$$ they spent last year alone in fossil-fuels search when only a quarter of what's known can be burned in any conceivable future.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

You don't need to search for fossil fuel, it's always available at the pump or for the utility. Only by day solar and when the breeze's right wind are next to useless. We already have stored solar power in oil, coal and gas.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Correction: Two-thirds of a trillion dollars, not half a trillion dollars

"Two-thirds of a trillion" $$$$ were spent last year alone in fossil-fuels exploration when only a quarter of that's known can be burned in any conceivable future.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Fossil fuels are so useful and profitable, they'll always be needed and used. New production techniques keep down costs. We have all the oil we'll ever need already on the continent. And now we're able to export more.
And your proof of collusion with OPEC?

Why do you lie?

Exporting more won't bring my costs down, quite the contrary.

Why do you lie?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

OPEC and gcaveman1 both share the same goal, making fossil fuels seem rare, increasing prices.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Firms 'own unburnable fossil fuels'...
... there is a danger of a carbon "bubble."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
OPEC and gcaveman1 both share the same goal, making fossil fuels seem rare, increasing prices.
Lyin' brian gets paid by the post. Content doesn't matter.

It's a good thing. There is no content.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Lyin' brian gets paid by the post. Content doesn't matter. It's a good thing. There is no content.
What can't you understand about OPEC wanting to make fossil fuel use rare and precious the same as the Greens? Does that weird coincidence freak you out?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••