Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought

Jul 2, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: New Scientist

FOR a few minutes David Holland forgets about his work and screams like a kid on a roller coaster.

Comments (Page 131)

Showing posts 2,601 - 2,620 of3,085
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said you forget much. What issue?
There's no issue with those who count and matter. The man-made climate change is raging. Science [and technology] is documenting its path.
The greedy is blocking action.
No one could forget you post scientific science fiction every day all day.No you not only don't count and don't matter and your scientific sceince fiction babble goes on and on.
Neptune

Calne, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

This may sound stupid, and there are probably a million reasons why this idea would not work but here it is anyway. If the ice caps really are melting at a dangerous rate, endangering half the planet with unstoppable floods etc, why can we not simply calculate the total mass of ice that is melting, then simply drain the same amount from the sea, then when they do melt, the sea level will stay the same. Obviously it is a huge task to keep tabs on the entire sea level of the earth, but if water is siphoned from the sea at the same rate the ice is melting, surely that would eliminate the danger of world flooding (if it exists at all). Yes it only solves one problem but again, I don't yet see any reason for it not to work.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Better yet, drain as the seas rise ... simultaneously so to speak..

Wow... As Fair Game posted today .. If people with science degrees and PhDs tell you you're making naive and foolish mistakes, misrepresenting what the science says or deliberately misrepresenting it, it must be because they have no rational arguments.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody is suggesting mitigating earthquakes;
People in earthquake areas mitigate earthquakes because earthquakes are a fact, or they deal with the loss of life, buildings and infrastructure that results.

We need to mitigate the effects of global warming because global warming is a fact, or leave our children and grandchildren to deal with the loss of life, buildings and infrastructure that will result.

Earthquakes knock buildings down is physical reality.

CO2 causes warming is physical reality.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Neptune wrote:
This may sound stupid, and there are probably a million reasons why this idea would not work but here it is anyway. If the ice caps really are melting at a dangerous rate, endangering half the planet with unstoppable floods etc, why can we not simply calculate the total mass of ice that is melting, then simply drain the same amount from the sea, then when they do melt, the sea level will stay the same. Obviously it is a huge task to keep tabs on the entire sea level of the earth, but if water is siphoned from the sea at the same rate the ice is melting, surely that would eliminate the danger of world flooding (if it exists at all). Yes it only solves one problem but again, I don't yet see any reason for it not to work.
Drain the oceans? And put the water where? Do you want to desalinate it?

These things perhaps could theoretically be done, but would take fantastic amounts of energy. Where would you get than energy? By burning fossil fuels? Kinda self-defeating, eh?

It'd be easier by far to avoid emitting the carbon into the atmosphere in the 1st place.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
Drain the oceans? And put the water where? Do you want to desalinate it?
These things perhaps could theoretically be done, but would take fantastic amounts of energy. Where would you get than energy? By burning fossil fuels? Kinda self-defeating, eh?
It'd be easier by far to avoid emitting the carbon into the atmosphere in the 1st place.
You normally have the solution so why don't you tell all?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>You normally have the solution so why don't you tell all?
I HAVE told all, you just won't listen.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

<quoted text>to another poster:
No, it's now an alleged paid denier... or hoping to be one.. just look at its obvious friends.

OTOH, it has no intellect to speak of. The funniest is its posting against itself in argumentation.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
No you haven't scientific science fiction just doesn’t cut it. Now if you address the spacedoutblues you may have something. Actually I listen well but I don't recall talking to you. Oh my bad you think when you post something on topix its talk. Well sorry to inform you talking and posting are two different methods of communication.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's now an alleged paid denier... or hoping to be one.. just look at its obvious friends.
OTOH, it has no intellect to speak of. The funniest is its posting against itself in argumentation.
So show your intellect by posting your peer reviewed published work. Your perception of what I post needs some attention. Maybe if I post scientific science fiction you would understand. In any event it would be to your best interest to go away and shut your pie hole.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>So show your intellect by posting your peer reviewed published work. Your perception of what I post needs some attention. Maybe if I post scientific science fiction you would understand. In any event it would be to your best interest to go away and shut your pie hole.
Hey ph'd, you don't know if I post my science or not.

I'm not the only poster who observes you post no science. In fact, I was agreeing with another poster about you before you threathen me with this one.

You are WRONG to assume that freedom of expression is your right only. You have no auhority to stop other posters as you try to do 24/7.

Hey ph'd, you appear to be out of your mind when you take other posters as enemy. Instead take a break like other science deniers.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Hey ph'd, you don't know if I post my science or not.
I'm not the only poster who observes you post no science. In fact, I was agreeing with another poster about you before you threathen me with this one.
You are WRONG to assume that freedom of expression is your right only. You have no auhority to stop other posters as you try to do 24/7.
Hey ph'd, you appear to be out of your mind when you take other posters as enemy. Instead take a break like other science deniers.
So show your intellect by posting your peer reviewed published work. Your perception of what I post needs some attention. Maybe if I post scientific science fiction you would understand.(In any event it would be to your best interest to go away and shut your pie hole.) No threat just a suggestion. So sad that your in a state of confusion.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' can't understand science fiction, much less science, having no background in science & mathematics, to understand.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

fetid feces face flip flopper fiend wrote:
You normally have the solution....
'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' never has a solution.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
People in earthquake areas mitigate earthquakes because earthquakes are a fact, or they deal with the loss of life, buildings and infrastructure that results.
How do you mitigate earthquakes in Turkey? Anti-dancing ordinances?

Fair Game wrote:
We need to mitigate the effects of global warming because global warming is a fact, or leave our children and grandchildren to deal with the loss of life, buildings and infrastructure that will result.
It would be nice to mitigate climate change, but so far nobody has shown any test, trial or experiment that indicates climate change mitigation is possible. If you can cite any experimental test of climate change mitigation, I'll change my mind and support it.

I'll wait.

Fair Game wrote:
Earthquakes knock buildings down is physical reality. CO2 causes warming is physical reality.
Climate always changes, that's a physical reality. No living creature has evolved the ability to mitigate global climate change; another physical reality.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>How do you mitigate earthquakes in Turkey? Anti-dancing ordinances?
They don't. They die when the buildings fall down.

If you don't mitigate risks, you or your children or your grandchildren pay the consequences.

Sociopaths like Brian want them to.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

So, Fair Game knows earthquake mitigation isn't possible; what makes him think climate change mitigation is possible?

Hint: Not the experimental record since no experiment shows climate change mitigation is even possible.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
So, Fair Game knows earthquake mitigation isn't possible; what makes him think climate change mitigation is possible?
Other countries do mitigate the effects of earthquakes, using technology and regulation, and as a result, fewer people die.

We have a similar choice with global warming: fail to do anything, and let our grandchildren suffer the consequences, or act now on the scientific evidence.

Sociopaths like Brian want the former.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
Other countries do mitigate the effects of earthquakes, using technology and regulation, and as a result, fewer people die. We have a similar choice with global warming: fail to do anything, and let our grandchildren suffer the consequences, or act now on the scientific evidence. Sociopaths like Brian want the former.
Please describe any earthquake mitigation scheme.

Fair Game is probably mistaking adapting to earthquakes by constructing stronger and more flexible buildings with mitigation, reducing the strength or frequency of earthquakes. Bad science and imprecision is a hallmark of global warming alarmism.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
The irony of a climate change denier taking a beach holiday on one of the islands most threatened by global warming and sea level rise![URL deleted]
Fair Game's wrong again, Jamaica has mountain more than two kilometers tall.

BTW: I recommend not opening his link because it's a download that can contain potentially harmful macro programs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,601 - 2,620 of3,085
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••