Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought

Jul 2, 2009 Full story: New Scientist 3,326

FOR a few minutes David Holland forgets about his work and screams like a kid on a roller coaster.

Read more

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#2588 Feb 2, 2013
Seriously, now is a good time for a tropical vacation. Climate, deal with it.
litesong

Everett, WA

#2589 Feb 2, 2013
brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver wrote:
...... now is a good time for a tropical vacation.
"brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" went on vacation for 10 years, instead of getting mathematics & science degrees. While on vacation, he became a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener & holds down a 2-bit oil can job.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2590 Feb 3, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" went on vacation for 10 years, instead of getting mathematics & science degrees. While on vacation, he became a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener & holds down a 2-bit oil can job.
In addition, you think topix does not know what you publish. Attacks on me will not delete or erase what you are and what you do. You should stop making an ASSumption of your---self before you know the facts. Do contact topix to satisfy your accusations of the reprint BS your posting of what I said. You are a dumbASSumption of your---self again.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2591 Feb 3, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
DUH. EVERYONE knows China is the #1 emitter of CO2 now. The US is still much larger per capita, & the US is the country most responsible for current warming (the UK is #2).
China doesn't want Shanghai to be underwater, or for ShanDong (birthplace of Confucius) to be an island. They have millions of people living near sea level. Just north of Beijing, desertification is moving southward. They are vulnerable to tropical cyclones (called typhoons there). Their leaders have to breathe the air in Beijing just like everyone else.
The Chinese WILL act to mitigate AGW/CC based on their own interests. If we do something meaningful that'll give them the opening to act as well.
As mentioned before good luck with that idea. DUH your idea to date has never worked.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2592 Feb 3, 2013
It's time to show the future sea-level rise graph for global temperature(s):

http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Projec...
PHD

Overton, TX

#2593 Feb 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
It's time to show the future sea-level rise graph for global temperature(s):
http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Projec...
We already told you the sea level rise really really means nothing. Here is an out for you, do show your peer reviewed published work that will dispute sea level rise and the real effects.
Steve Case

Milwaukee, WI

#2594 Feb 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
It's time to show the future sea-level rise graph for global temperature(s):
http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Projec...
And once again it's time to do the arithmetic. Here's that same graphic
http://oi49.tinypic.com/14id2yx.jpg
run on Excel with the addition of the final rate of sea level rise in 2100. Nearly 20 mm/yr. How likely do you think that is? realistically that's 10 times today's rate. All the rivers and glaciers in the world flowing at time times today's rate. All the rivers, not just the Amazon or the creek in your local park, everything.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2595 Feb 4, 2013
And we are in a drought with the rivers and lakes at an alarming low level. Sure sounds like scientific science fiction.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#2596 Feb 4, 2013
Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again it's time to do the arithmetic. Here's that same graphic
http://oi49.tinypic.com/14id2yx.jpg
run on Excel with the addition of the final rate of sea level rise in 2100. Nearly 20 mm/yr. How likely do you think that is? realistically that's 10 times today's rate. All the rivers and glaciers in the world flowing at time times today's rate. All the rivers, not just the Amazon or the creek in your local park, everything.
Er, no. The ice sheets flowing at a higher rate.

Ice loss from Greenland has accelerated, ice is beginning to be lost from the Antarctic. That's where the extra water is going to come from.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2597 Feb 4, 2013
Water, water everywhere except where the water needs to be. More scientific science fiction.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#2598 Feb 4, 2013
Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again it's time to do the arithmetic. Here's that same graphic
http://oi49.tinypic.com/14id2yx.jpg
run on Excel with the addition of the final rate of sea level rise in 2100. Nearly 20 mm/yr. How likely do you think that is? realistically that's 10 times today's rate. All the rivers and glaciers in the world flowing at time times today's rate. All the rivers, not just the Amazon or the creek in your local park, everything.
Yes, Steve, if you project historical sea level rises that have occurred so far, & extend them ~linearly (depending on the intervals you use)into the future , sea level rise by 2100 shouldn't be a problem.

This is certainly what the North Carolina legislature wanted to be true. They passed a bill saying future estimates of flooding risks could be based ONLY on historical rates. Evidently you agree with them.

Luckily, the flaw in their (& YOUR) "logic" is extremely easy to see, & they were almost laughed out of office. The bill was withdrawn.

Past history is a guideline, but it is NOT a prediction. If you're walking down the center of railroad tracks, everything looks fine until just before the train hits you.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2599 Feb 4, 2013
Guideline, prediction, opinion, could be should be and forecast more scientific science fiction.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2600 Feb 7, 2013
Does ph'd play the stock market without "guideline, prediction, opinion" and "could be, should be, and forecast?"

So the stock market is science fiction to it. LOL.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#2601 Feb 7, 2013
phud fetid feces face fiend wrote:
Water, water everywhere except where the water needs to be.
You stumbled onto the answer, but do NOT believe it. Our Pacific Northwest had plenty of water, now gets more....... except at the times we need it worst. Those areas that were short of water, are even more short of water now. Its going to get worse.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2602 Feb 8, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
You stumbled onto the answer, but do NOT believe it. Our Pacific Northwest had plenty of water, now gets more....... except at the times we need it worst. Those areas that were short of water, are even more short of water now. Its going to get worse.
And you think topix doesn’t know what you publish? Attacks on me won't delete or erase what you are and what you do. You should stop making an ASSumption of your---self before you know the facts. Do contact topix to satisfy your accusations of the reprint BS your posting of what I said. You are a dumbASSumption of your---self again.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2603 Feb 8, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Does ph'd play the stock market without "guideline, prediction, opinion" and "could be, should be, and forecast?"
So the stock market is science fiction to it. LOL.
No but your scientific science fiction does.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2604 Feb 9, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Does ph'd play the stock market without "guideline, prediction, opinion" and "could be, should be, and forecast?"
So the stock market is science fiction to it. LOL.
ph'd replies:
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>No but your scientific science fiction does.
huh, clueless.

LOL.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2605 Feb 10, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>ph'd replies:
<quoted text>huh, clueless.
LOL.
Your dazed and confused again and again.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2606 Feb 10, 2013
---troll ignored.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2607 Feb 10, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
---troll ignored.
So you the Commander TROLL continues to answer directly or indirectly. You keep the topix forums entertained and free at that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Head of Episcopal Church: Denying Climate Chang... Wed Cordwainer Trout 2
News Pakistan earthquake island belching poisonous gas (Sep '13) Mar 18 SpaceBlues 15
News Women in Oceanography: Lots of Students, Not So... Mar 18 SpaceBlues 1
News Ocean Warming Speeds Up Cycle of Climate Change Jan '15 Earthling-1 29
News Pope to make moral case for action on climate c... Jan '15 Earthling-1 6
News Losing the Climate Fight: Has 400 ppm Become Pl... Jan '15 Earthling-1 4
News Antarctic sea ice melting as ocean heat rises (Dec '10) Jan '15 Baby Its Cold Out... 4
More from around the web