Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought

Jul 2, 2009 Full story: New Scientist 3,119

FOR a few minutes David Holland forgets about his work and screams like a kid on a roller coaster.

Full Story
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2348 Jan 3, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>OK prove it.
I just did.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2349 Jan 3, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>I just did.
I do agree you did prove again and again that you really really don't know. We see that tina gave you another spanking.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#2350 Jan 3, 2013
PHD wrote:
...tina gave you another spanking.
phudd is jealous.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2351 Jan 4, 2013
Hey Norfolk, look:

Spatial extent of 1- and 6-m potential future sea-level rise along the East and Gulf coasts of the United States and for selected major coastal municipalities.

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/51/21461/F1.e...

Also, Miami, New Orleans.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2352 Jan 4, 2013
Stair Blame wrote:
<quoted text>
phudd is jealous.
No not at all. I wouldn't think of taking that title away from you.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#2353 Jan 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Hey Norfolk, look:
Spatial extent of 1- and 6-m potential future sea-level rise along the East and Gulf coasts of the United States and for selected major coastal municipalities.
http://www.pnas.org/content/106/51/21461/F1.e...
Also, Miami, New Orleans.
Based on the flawed model of the IPCC. Notice the first thing is they didn't bother to give a timeline. Which means they will be off as far as Norfolk. The land here has been rising slowly as the result of the ice age and a meteor strike. Which is the reason why Nofolk has centuries old structures built on the water's edge that have yet to see any of this flooding.

I am not surprised about New Orleans, it has been sinking ever since it was settled. It is already more than one meter below sea level. Hurricane Katrinia proved that.

I also noticed that they did not include the West Coast. Could it be that the land there is rising faster than the water. Nor do I think you really thought about how much six meters is. That is nearly twenty feet. Do you realize how much water it would take to raise the ocean level by six feet. Not only would you need every chunk of ice on the planet to melt but you would also need to empty out nearly every major lake as well.

Looks like another case of Chicken Little. Then again with budget cuts looming I can see what the PNAS is after. After all, every congressman and senator is looking at cutting something other than something that generates jobs in their state. Cut the pork for the voters back home or the PNAS, the PNAS better come up with something major, something that will get those back home to write that representative and say cut the local library and school lunches for the poor kids instead of the PNAS.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#2354 Jan 5, 2013
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on the flawed model of the IPCC. Notice the first thing is they didn't bother to give a timeline. Which means they will be off as far as Norfolk. The land here has been rising slowly as the result of the ice age and a meteor strike. Which is the reason why Nofolk has centuries old structures built on the water's edge that have yet to see any of this flooding.
I am not surprised about New Orleans, it has been sinking ever since it was settled. It is already more than one meter below sea level. Hurricane Katrinia proved that.
I also noticed that they did not include the West Coast. Could it be that the land there is rising faster than the water. Nor do I think you really thought about how much six meters is. That is nearly twenty feet. Do you realize how much water it would take to raise the ocean level by six feet. Not only would you need every chunk of ice on the planet to melt but you would also need to empty out nearly every major lake as well.
Looks like another case of Chicken Little. Then again with budget cuts looming I can see what the PNAS is after. After all, every congressman and senator is looking at cutting something other than something that generates jobs in their state. Cut the pork for the voters back home or the PNAS, the PNAS better come up with something major, something that will get those back home to write that representative and say cut the local library and school lunches for the poor kids instead of the PNAS.
I think you got PNAS mixed up with PENIS.

PNAS - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. PNAS is one of the most highly cited multidisciplinary science journals
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#2355 Jan 5, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
.....you got PNAS mixed up with PENIS.
PNAS is one of the most highly cited multidisciplinary......
Patrio AKA Bozo........ It is very hard to mix up PNAS with PENIS. Multiple disciplinary problems cause PENIS to be highly sighted.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2356 Jan 7, 2013
pinheadlitesout wrote:
<quoted text>
Patrio AKA Bozo........ It is very hard to mix up PNAS with PENIS. Multiple disciplinary problems cause PENIS to be highly sighted.
We all know you have butt issues but this is another issue you never brought up. Well good luck with getting help.

Wichita, KS

#2357 Jan 9, 2013
What the experts say about sea level rise.
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives...
PHD

Overton, TX

#2358 Jan 9, 2013
The experts are only opinion makers. Their opinion will soon change to another agenda. Just follow the money.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#2359 Jan 10, 2013
PHD wrote:
The experts are only opinion makers. Their opinion will soon change to another agenda. Just follow the money.
How true, when the money dries up they will go to whatever the next big thing is.
worse than we thought

Marshall, WA

#2360 Jan 10, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
What the experts say about sea level rise.
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives...
here is something you should read 'bozo', this was way too funny, I had to pass it on.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/11-hilarious-...

Wichita, KS

#2361 Jan 10, 2013
worse than we thought wrote:
<quoted text>here is something you should read 'bozo', this was way too funny, I had to pass it on.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/11-hilarious-...
I liked the first one. Reminded me of the denier sphere.

"I cited this paper because everyone else has cited it, though noone has ever seen an actual copy." :)
worse than we thought

Marshall, WA

#2362 Jan 10, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I liked the first one. Reminded me of the denier sphere.
"I cited this paper because everyone else has cited it, though noone has ever seen an actual copy." :)
that one would work for both sides 'bozo', I personally liked the one about the error on page 12, with the lab rats being too expensive a close second. anyways back to the front.

Wichita, KS

#2363 Jan 10, 2013
<quoted text>that one would work for both sides 'bozo', I personally liked the one about the error on page 12, with the lab rats being too expensive a close second. anyways back to the front.
But the one the deniers read, they quote out of context. Either that or they cannot read for comprehension.
worse than we thought

Marshall, WA

#2364 Jan 10, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
But the one the deniers read, they quote out of context. Either that or they cannot read for comprehension.
here is an article with a lot of pictures in it 'bozo', even 'litesong' will learn from this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22599...
PHD

Overton, TX

#2365 Jan 10, 2013
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
How true, when the money dries up they will go to whatever the next big thing is.
Agreed.
worse than we thought

Vancouver, WA

#2366 Jan 10, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
here are some more pictures 'bozo', make sure 'litesong' gets a chance to read them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22602...

Wichita, KS

#2367 Jan 10, 2013
<quoted text>here are some more pictures 'bozo', make sure 'litesong' gets a chance to read them.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22602...
And your point is......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Scientists Unraveled the El Nino Mystery Dec 7 SpaceBlues 1
'Project Recover' Searches for Long-Lost World ... Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
CO2 curve ticks upward as key climate talks loom (Nov '09) Oct '14 Brian_G 259
Study: Warming Temperatures In Pacific Not Asso... Sep '14 litesong 2
Pakistan earthquake island belching poisonous gas (Sep '13) Sep '14 Snark Snark 13
Swinging CO2 Levels Show The Earth Is 'Breathin... (Aug '13) Sep '14 Earthling-1 80
Does Antarctic sea ice growth negate climate ch... Aug '14 Jim the Hoax Denier 3
More from around the web