Sea level rise: It's worse than we th...

Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought

There are 3768 comments on the New Scientist story from Jul 2, 2009, titled Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought. In it, New Scientist reports that:

FOR a few minutes David Holland forgets about his work and screams like a kid on a roller coaster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New Scientist.

LessFactMoreHype

Pinoso, Spain

#2314 Dec 8, 2012
Steve Case wrote:
I don't get your point.
No surprise, he never has one.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#2315 Dec 8, 2012
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
<quoted text>No surprise, he never has one.
One you made an ASSumption of your---self again. I never mentioned my gender. Two if you could muster up a brain cell or two you might get it. Three your the one AKA "dirtling" that never has a clue.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2316 Dec 8, 2012
If you're worried about sudden sea level rise then look out for sudden sea level fall. That's a tsunami, not a good chance to pick up sea shells. PHD, come back, can you hear me?
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#2317 Dec 8, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
If you're worried about sudden sea level rise then look out for sudden sea level fall. That's a tsunami, not a good chance to pick up sea shells. PHD, come back, can you hear me?
No one listens to you.The sea level rise and fall really really means nothing.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2318 Dec 15, 2012
Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#2319 Dec 15, 2012
Sea level rise really really means nothing. Oh my bad more sea front property.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2320 Dec 24, 2012
Western Antarctica has warmed unexpectedly fast over the last five decades, weather records confirm, adding to sea-level rise concerns in a warming world.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefai...

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#2321 Dec 24, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
Western Antarctica has warmed unexpectedly fast over the last five decades, weather records confirm, adding to sea-level rise concerns in a warming world.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefai...
Funny thing is that the biggest problem they have in the area is things being buried. Which would indicate that your warming record which only goes back five decades is if anything more likely to cause sea levels to fall not rise.

What you have is an attempt to cause fear based on a what if. Fine, what if a astroid was to be knocked out of the astroid belt and hit the earth. It is just as likely and would cause far more damage. Even your link admitted that currently the contributions from that part of the world only amount to a few millimeters a decade. They only have five decades worth of temperature recording from weather stations that keep being buried by snow which is messing with the measurements. Five decades isn't what you call alot when compared to the average temperature records on the rest of the planet which go back centuries. The article even admits that they have very little data and also admits that the ice sheet in question is growing.

The fact is that you have something based on a single sensor that had gaps in the record and a software error. They attempted to recalibrate and fill in the gaps. They used that one because it had been there the longest but is still a single record filled with blank spots and errors for an automated weather station that spends part of each year buried.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/12/24/scienti...
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#2322 Dec 24, 2012
Sea level rise really really means nothing. Oh my bad more sea front property.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2323 Dec 24, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing is that the biggest problem they have in the area is things being buried. Which would indicate that your warming record which only goes back five decades is if anything more likely to cause sea levels to fall not rise.
What you have is an attempt to cause fear based on a what if. Fine, what if a astroid was to be knocked out of the astroid belt and hit the earth. It is just as likely and would cause far more damage. Even your link admitted that currently the contributions from that part of the world only amount to a few millimeters a decade. They only have five decades worth of temperature recording from weather stations that keep being buried by snow which is messing with the measurements. Five decades isn't what you call alot when compared to the average temperature records on the rest of the planet which go back centuries. The article even admits that they have very little data and also admits that the ice sheet in question is growing.
The fact is that you have something based on a single sensor that had gaps in the record and a software error. They attempted to recalibrate and fill in the gaps. They used that one because it had been there the longest but is still a single record filled with blank spots and errors for an automated weather station that spends part of each year buried.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/12/24/scienti...
Since the interior of the Antarctic never thaws, and the increased precipitation from a warmer atmosphere does add to the snow fall in the continent, it is academic why the interior snow levels are increasing.

Perhaps Santa will have to move to the South Pole soon. Merry Christmas.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2324 Dec 24, 2012
Try to understand that the Arctic ice is melting much faster than the models projected.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2012...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2325 Dec 24, 2012
From Nature Geoscience: A complete temperature record for Byrd Station in central West Antarctica, spanning from 1958 to 2010, establishes West Antarctica as one of the fastest warming regions globally.

Indeed: Central West Antarctica is among the most rapidly warming regions on Earth.

A lone denier here is not qualified to judge the data or the study.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2326 Dec 24, 2012
However, I would not argue "for a robust long-term meteorological observation network in the region."

Leave the Antarctic region alone but work on reducing the greehouse gas emissions everywhere.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#2327 Dec 25, 2012
Sea level rise really really means nothing. And no one here is qualified to judge any data or study.
SpaceBlues

Melmore, OH

#2328 Dec 27, 2012
The Tessellation Station is a wall that visitors can cover with like-shaped magnets.

http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp...
LessFactMoreHype

Pinoso, Spain

#2329 Dec 28, 2012
PiledHigherDeeper wrote:
Weather is the atmospheric condition over a small area and a short period of time.
Short period?
Weather happens globally, 24/7/365, always has, always will.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#2330 Dec 28, 2012
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
<quoted text>Short period?
Weather happens globally, 24/7/365, always has, always will.
No that's climate change.

Norfolk va

#2331 Dec 31, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the interior of the Antarctic never thaws, and the increased precipitation from a warmer atmosphere does add to the snow fall in the continent, it is academic why the interior snow levels are increasing.
Perhaps Santa will have to move to the South Pole soon. Merry Christmas.
And maybe he will move back to Turkey. Happy New Year.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/who-is-...

Norfolk va

#2332 Dec 31, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Try to understand that the Arctic ice is melting much faster than the models projected.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2012...
The same models you were holding up as proof that the melting water was going to swamp cities like New York.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#2333 Jan 1, 2013
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
The same models you were holding up as proof that the melting water was going to swamp cities like New York.
I see your back. Spaced-out blues AKA "Brain dead ignored” said I drove you out. Good to see your back see being less than a box of rocks isn't all bad. Happy New Year. Oh try to remind spaced-out brain dead that this is still a FREE AMERICA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obvious science from Antarctica: ice melts in w... Jun 18 Hail Hydra 6
News Poor Education Leads To Lost Dreams And Low Inc... Mar '17 The Real Karen 78
What is this formation called? Mar '17 STUDENT 1
News Volcano blows hole in global warming fight (Oct '10) Mar '17 Volcano 10
News Poor Education Leads To Lost Dreams And Low Inc... Mar '17 Jace 11
News Scientists Beg for Climate Action (Dec '07) Dec '16 Patriot 1,864
Lost in the sea (Sep '16) Sep '16 clement 1
More from around the web