Temperatures hit record highs globally: El Nino or global warming?

Jul 27, 2010 Full story: MinnPost.com 12

By Pete Spotts Published Mon, Jul 26 2010 8:43 am You might have missed it if you live in many spots in the lower 48 states, but the first six months of 2010 were the warmest on record globally, according to preliminary data from the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. During the January-to-June period, combined land and ocean surface ...

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#2 Jul 27, 2010
This year was only a moderate El Nino year. Moderate El Nino years in the past were not as warm. It's global warming and El Nino. In another decade or so, even years not affected by an El Nino will be as warm as this (and of course, El Nino years will be hotter.)
YouHelpFixIt

Scottsdale, AZ

#3 Jul 27, 2010
Fair Game wrote:
This year was only a moderate El Nino year. Moderate El Nino years in the past were not as warm. It's global warming and El Nino. In another decade or so, even years not affected by an El Nino will be as warm as this (and of course, El Nino years will be hotter.)
Thanks for all of the data and scientific analysis, thatís what sets you apart from the crazy alarmists who simply see a hot year and declare it must be global warming and El Nino and reveal a baseless speculation about the next few years/decades.

Oh wait, where is you data again? Where is your scientific analysis?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#4 Jul 27, 2010
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for all of the data and scientific analysis, thatís what sets you apart from the crazy alarmists who simply see a hot year and declare it must be global warming and El Nino and reveal a baseless speculation about the next few years/decades.
Oh wait, where is you data again? Where is your scientific analysis?
El Ninos come and go; there's nothing special about this one that would explain record temperatures.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/enso/enso.mei_in...

El Ninos explain peaks in the warming trend of the last 30 years, but not the trend itself.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2008/Fig2a....

Can we expect the warming trend to stop? Why not, if you don't believe CO2 is responsible; but climate science predicted warming 30 years ago, it happened, and it's predicting continuing warming.

Record temperatures this year do not suggest that the warming trend has stopped.
Earthling

Spain

#5 Jul 27, 2010
Can someone tell me exactly how long 'accurate' and 'global' temperature records have been kept?

Not the variety affected by the ever encroaching heat island effect, air conditioning units or any other external influence, if you don't mind.
Thanks.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#6 Jul 27, 2010
Earthling wrote:
Can someone tell me exactly how long 'accurate' and 'global' temperature records have been kept?
Not the variety affected by the ever encroaching heat island effect, air conditioning units or any other external influence, if you don't mind.
Thanks.
Well, the "sceptics" always used to say the satellite record couldn't be affected by those factors.

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/uah/plot/uah...

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#7 Jul 27, 2010
A plot of the US temperature record using all temperature stations and only those stations that the "sceptics" say are free from distortion effects.

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/global_wa...

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/global_wa...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#8 Jul 27, 2010
We broke the record.

Party time!
Earthling

Spain

#9 Jul 27, 2010
Fair Game wrote:
Well, the "sceptics" always used to say the satellite record couldn't be affected by those factors.
http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/uah/plot/uah...
I see, so relatively accurate 'global' temperature records have been kept since around 1979, around 30 years.
Is current satellite equipment more accurate than the 79 equipment and how many times has it been updated since then?
GEEWIZ

Ashland, KY

#11 Jul 27, 2010
what super green hero takes these readings,get out of the sun stop adding degrees buy some glasses and stop taking reading during happy hour.
YouHelpFixIt

Scottsdale, AZ

#12 Jul 28, 2010
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
El Ninos come and go; there's nothing special about this one that would explain record temperatures.
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/enso/enso.mei_in...
El Ninos explain peaks in the warming trend of the last 30 years, but not the trend itself.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2008/Fig2a....
Can we expect the warming trend to stop? Why not, if you don't believe CO2 is responsible; but climate science predicted warming 30 years ago, it happened, and it's predicting continuing warming.
Record temperatures this year do not suggest that the warming trend has stopped.
So you assert that if itís not El Nino, it must be CO2 induced global warming. Wow, there is great leap in logic that you don't see everyday. Does the opposite also apply, when the global temperature goes down and we are in El Nino conditions, is that CO2 induced global cooling? Just like in 2007.

Perhaps you meant to say that warming is CO2 induced when it is convenient for your argument and cooling just happens naturally.
Earthling

Spain

#13 Jul 28, 2010
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
So you assert that if itís not El Nino, it must be CO2 induced global warming. Wow, there is great leap in logic that you don't see everyday. Does the opposite also apply, when the global temperature goes down and we are in El Nino conditions, is that CO2 induced global cooling? Just like in 2007.
Perhaps you meant to say that warming is CO2 induced when it is convenient for your argument and cooling just happens naturally.
Of course, what else would you expect.
Warming is caused only by CO2, that's obvious to alarmists, so cooling must be natural, how difficult is that for us to understand?

There hasn't been any 'significant' cooling or warming for a while, so the insignificant warming must naturally rule.
Arno Arrak

Commack, NY

#14 Jul 28, 2010
This global warming business is not all it seems to be. I have determined that the anthropogenic global warming has never been observed [http://www.amazon.com/What-Wa rming-Satellite-global-tempera ture/dp/1439264708/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=12 80328361&sr=8-1] but an unusual, non-carboniferous warming did begin with the super El Nino of 1998. Global average temperature, which had been flat during the eighties and nineties, rose by 0.3 degrees between 1998 and 2004 and then stabilized for six years for the "twenty-first century high." This is half of the entire temperature rise for the century and is responsible for the first decade of our century being the warmest. When I said temperature in the eighties and nineties was flat I meant average temperature because it kept going up and down by half a degree with El Ninos, of which there were five. The twenty-first century high itself ended with a La Nina cooling in 2008 and I expect a pattern of alternating El Ninos and La Ninas to continue from now on. We have just passed the peak of the 2010 El Nino and the next La Nina is already on the way. This particular El Nino was unusually warm, however, and peaked 0.2 degrees higher than I expected. I don't know what is causing that and I hope it is not being manipulated. I say this because temperatures have been manipulated before, as in the creation of the phony "late twentieth century warming" in the eighties and nineties.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Scientists Unraveled the El Nino Mystery Dec 7 SpaceBlues 1
'Project Recover' Searches for Long-Lost World ... Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
CO2 curve ticks upward as key climate talks loom (Nov '09) Oct '14 Brian_G 259
Study: Warming Temperatures In Pacific Not Asso... Sep '14 litesong 2
Pakistan earthquake island belching poisonous gas (Sep '13) Sep '14 Snark Snark 13
Swinging CO2 Levels Show The Earth Is 'Breathin... (Aug '13) Sep '14 Earthling-1 80
Does Antarctic sea ice growth negate climate ch... Aug '14 Jim the Hoax Denier 3
More from around the web