Va. scientist finds rising East Coast sea levels

May 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Examiner

For years, computer simulations have predicted that climate change will cause East Coast sea levels to rise at an increasingly rapid rate.

Comments
21 - 33 of 33 Comments Last updated May 20, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

During last 150 years greenhouse gas levels have climbed 40 percent mainly from us burning of fossil fuels. This additional "forcing" is warming the planet more than it has in thousands of years. From Earth's history, we know that positive feedbacks will amplify this additional warming.

The current CO2 levels happened 3 million years ago. Modern humans came around 200,000 years ago.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Dana Nuccitelli of Skeptical Science, said she was encouraging scientists to stress the consensus "at every opportunity, particularly in media interviews".

Rising concentrations of carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas, hit 400 parts per million in the atmosphere last week, the highest in perhaps 3 million years.

Governments have agreed to work out, by the end of 2015, a deal to slow climate change that a U.N. panel of experts says will cause more floods, droughts and rising sea levels.
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>What? You need to learn science.
When the Earth comes out of an ice age, the warming is not initiated by CO2 but by changes in the Earth’s orbit. The warming causes the oceans to give up CO2. The CO2 amplifies the warming and mixes through the atmosphere, spreading warming throughout the planet. So CO2 causes warming AND rising temperature causes CO2 rise.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-lags-temp...
Still waiting for your PROOF...I SAY that the earth goes through these cycles every couple of millenia, that doesn't make it true does it?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

real central va Marine wrote:
<quoted text>Still waiting for your PROOF...I SAY that the earth goes through these cycles every couple of millenia, that doesn't make it true does it?
Natural climate change in the past proves that climate is sensitive to an energy imbalance. If the planet accumulates heat, global temperatures will go up. Currently, CO2 is imposing an energy imbalance due to the enhanced greenhouse effect. Past climate change actually provides evidence for our climate’s sensitivity to CO2.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-chang...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
Dana Nuccitelli of Skeptical Science, said [he] was encouraging scientists to stress the consensus "at every opportunity, particularly in media interviews".
Rising concentrations of carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas, hit 400 parts per million in the atmosphere last week, the highest in perhaps 3 million years.
Governments have agreed to work out, by the end of 2015, a deal to slow climate change that a U.N. panel of experts says will cause more floods, droughts and rising sea levels.
Correction.. Reuters goofed. Dana is a he, not a she.
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Natural climate change in the past proves that climate is sensitive to an energy imbalance. If the planet accumulates heat, global temperatures will go up. Currently, CO2 is imposing an energy imbalance due to the enhanced greenhouse effect. Past climate change actually provides evidence for our climate’s sensitivity to CO2.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-chang...
But you are unable to PROVE it.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

<quoted text>But you are unable to PROVE it.
What do you mean by that? I answered all your questions in good faith.

Are you just another denier at all cost? Don't waste my time.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

No known natural forcing fits the fingerprints of observed warming except anthropogenic greenhouse gases.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warmin...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

zeek wrote:
<quoted text>
No what im saying is all this global bs is a carbon tax fraud
If we fear for the future, it is paradoxical to attempt to mitigate risks by remaining invested in fossil fuels. What we do now will bring about the future for better or worse. If we’re to emerge from our 19th century energy system, it must be us, now, today, who set that emergence in motion. Leave fossil fuels for those who prefer to look backwards.

http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm...
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>If we fear for the future, it is paradoxical to attempt to mitigate risks by remaining invested in fossil fuels. What we do now will bring about the future for better or worse. If we’re to emerge from our 19th century energy system, it must be us, now, today, who set that emergence in motion. Leave fossil fuels for those who prefer to look backwards.
http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm...
First line from YOUR SOURCE...
"Garvin Jabusch examines the potential risks of society's over reliance on fossil fuels."
POTENTIAL...again, nothing proven. YOU have the "potential" to be president; did it happen yet? Let me know when it does.
zeek

Bassett, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

<quoted text>First line from YOUR SOURCE...
"Garvin Jabusch examines the potential risks of society's over reliance on fossil fuels."
POTENTIAL...again, nothing proven. YOU have the "potential" to be president; did it happen yet? Let me know when it does.
You would never guess he is investing i carbon futures with al gore
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

<quoted text>First line from YOUR SOURCE...
Did you read the material?

Technical jargon bugs you, I see.
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Did you read the material?
Technical jargon bugs you, I see.
Sure did read it. The first line gives the author an out if he is wrong. Why put it in if you KNOW you are right? If you can PROVE you are right?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••