Big Antarctic Ice Sheet Appears Doomed - Science News

May 10, 2012 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.sciencenews.org

Warm ocean currents may threaten the stability of Antarctica's Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf in the Weddell Sea if global temperatures continue to rise.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

There is a map which dates back to 1513 which was in the possession of a Turkish Admiral who had a very keen interest in maps. This map was one he made based on the information he collected from other maps. On this map at the bottom it shows a chunk of land that looked very much like Antarctica. This was surprising since Antarctica had not been discovered until 1820. Even more intriguing was a section of the coastline of this southern continent. Part of it looked very much like the coast of Queen Maud Land which was a section of Antarctica.

The strange thing was that the coast of Queen Maud Land had been covered with a thick sheet of ice for many centuries and its shape was only known now to modern mapmakers through the use of modern seismographic equipment.

So you have to wonder if the Admiral had somehow owned maps that dated back before the ice sheet covered the coast. Most serious professional geographers it because it does not match up with what they believe but have not other explanation for it.

So was it global warming then too, causes by what.

I think we have been here before and not because of my exhaust pipe.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Robert wrote:
There is a map which dates back to 1513 which was in the possession of a Turkish Admiral who had a very keen interest in maps. This map was one he made based on the information he collected from other maps. On this map at the bottom it shows a chunk of land that looked very much like Antarctica. This was surprising since Antarctica had not been discovered until 1820. Even more intriguing was a section of the coastline of this southern continent. Part of it looked very much like the coast of Queen Maud Land which was a section of Antarctica.
The strange thing was that the coast of Queen Maud Land had been covered with a thick sheet of ice for many centuries and its shape was only known now to modern mapmakers through the use of modern seismographic equipment.
So you have to wonder if the Admiral had somehow owned maps that dated back before the ice sheet covered the coast. Most serious professional geographers it because it does not match up with what they believe but have not other explanation for it.
So was it global warming then too, causes by what.
I think we have been here before and not because of my exhaust pipe.
Not.

Previous geological ages have long swings, 11,000 years, 100,000 years, &c.

Your magic map has no basis in reality, unless you maintain Turks were to the South Pole.

Assuming not, and back to reality, the sudden swing in global warming, and attendant climat change is real, and unprecidented.

Slow, natural change...expected.
Rapid, exhaust-driven change...no good.

And, the changes we see corresponds to man-made carbon emmissions.

http://www.docbrown.info/page04/image006.gif
Makes sense

Dearborn Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Oh well, we don't believe in global warming.
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Not.
Your magic map has no basis in reality, unless you maintain Turks were to the South Pole.
Assuming not, and back to reality, the sudden swing in global warming, and attendant climat change is real, and unprecidented.
You can't stop global warming. The only possible way to completely stop global warming, assuming global warming is real, is to completely stop releasing carbon gases into the atmosphere. It is this extra carbon in the atmosphere that traps more of the sunís heat in the environment, instead of allowing more of the sunís heat to escape back into space. Mankind releases carbon gases when burning fossil fuels, such as oil, coal, gasoline, and natural gas.

Therefore, the only way for mankind to stop releasing carbon gases into the environment is for each and every government in the world to agree to immediately stop burning fossil fuels. Unfortunately, there is no way for all the governments of the world to agree to stop using fossil fuels either through diplomacy or brute force.

If it exist the only thing you can do is slow it down.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Study: Antarctic ice melting from warm water below

http://news.yahoo.com/study-antarctic-ice-mel...

ASHINGTON (AP)ó Antarctica's massive ice shelves are shrinking because they are being eaten away from below by warm water, a new study finds. That suggests that future sea levels could rise faster than many scientists have been predicting.

The western chunk of Antarctica is losing 23 feet of its floating ice sheet each year. Until now, scientists weren't exactly sure how it was happening and whether or how man-made global warming might be a factor. The answer, according to a study published Wednesday in the journal Nature, is that climate change plays an indirect role ó but one that has larger repercussions than if Antarctic ice were merely melting from warmer air.

Hamish Pritchard, a glaciologist at the British Antarctic Survey, said research using an ice-gazing NASA satellite showed that warmer air alone couldn't explain what was happening to Antarctica. A more detailed examination found a chain of events that explained the shrinking ice shelves.

Twenty ice shelves showed signs that they were melting from warm water below. Changes in wind currents pushed that relatively warmer water closer to and beneath the floating ice shelves. The wind change is likely caused by a combination of factors, including natural weather variation, the ozone hole and man-made greenhouse gases, Pritchard said in a phone interview.

As the floating ice shelves melt and thin, that in turn triggers snow and ice on land glaciers to slide down to the floating shelves and eventually into the sea, causing sea level rise, Pritchard said. Thicker floating ice shelves usually keep much of the land snow and ice from shedding to sea, but that's not happening now.

That whole process causes larger and faster sea level rise than simply warmer air melting snow on land-locked glaciers, Pritchard said.

"It means the ice sheets are highly sensitive to relatively subtle changes in climate through the effects of the wind," he said.

What's happening in Antarctica "may have already triggered a period of unstable glacier retreat," the study concludes. If the entire Western Antarctic Ice Sheet were to melt ó something that would take many decades if not centuries ó scientists have estimated it would lift global sea levels by about 16 feet.

The other LOONY THEORY was DINO FART! before,now PEOPLE FART!I kid You not!...Loons have advocated to stick a CATALYTIC CONVERTER UP CATTLE'S BUTTS.....They should start with the LOONY TOPIX MOD HERE...His MOUTH may be better!!

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't stop global warming. The only possible way to completely stop global warming, assuming global warming is real, is to completely stop releasing carbon gases into the atmosphere. It is this extra carbon in the atmosphere that traps more of the sunís heat in the environment, instead of allowing more of the sunís heat to escape back into space. Mankind releases carbon gases when burning fossil fuels, such as oil, coal, gasoline, and natural gas.
Therefore, the only way for mankind to stop releasing carbon gases into the environment is for each and every government in the world to agree to immediately stop burning fossil fuels. Unfortunately, there is no way for all the governments of the world to agree to stop using fossil fuels either through diplomacy or brute force.
If it exist the only thing you can do is slow it down.
I've not heard anyone advocate stopping global warming. We cn ameliorate it with conservation and smokestack filters..

Also, natural gas is cleaner than oil, which is cleaner than coal,which is cleaner than wood.
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I've not heard anyone advocate stopping global warming. We cn ameliorate it with conservation and smokestack filters..
Also, natural gas is cleaner than oil, which is cleaner than coal,which is cleaner than wood.
Well if you can't stop it what is the point of slowing it down, what difference does it make if your great grand children or your great great great grandchildren face it. The end result is the same.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

I'm totally in favor of Global Warming
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Bob Burns wrote:
BOB BURNS??? back I see...How was Brainwashing School...Are you permitted to know of this guy?

National Review Online) The blind Chinese human-rights activist Chen Guangcheng, who escaped from house arrest on April 22 and may be under the protection of the U.S. Embassy, was initially detained for exposing the massive abuse of Chinese women under Chinaís one-child policy. His documentation of forced sterilizations and abortions landed him in jail for four years, followed by a year and a half of house arrest. His daring escape has now triggered renewed attacks on organizations engaged in helping Chinese women keep and feed their infants."

"In the 30 years of the brutal one-child policy, hundreds of millions of infants have been killed. This has led to serious social problems that are now obvious ó not only the gender imbalance but also the aging of the general population. Regardless, the PRC government forges ahead with its notoriously inhumane policy.'...Killing Babys!..One way to cull that Communist Chicken coop

Our Family now has two Chinese kids....The unwanted,Your REJECTS...No Good enough for Those Chinks...Two beautiful baby girls..who now have the gift of free life with care and love!

They went to china, my Neice,and husband..and RESCUED them from a miserable life,or Death...the Bastards took the money of course..Like Baby Slaves Sold for cash1..so much for humanitarian values!!

I Know Bob you do not know of this....Yer not a Women abuser or a child killer....But Be assured The FREE WORLD KNOWS

Glad you like POLLUTION and LEAD POISONING...Ironic China is sowing the very seeds of which will KILL ALL CHINK COMMIE BASTARDS!..Hope lung Cancer dos not get you Bob!!

Hows business??? What are ya cooking?...Our President ate DOG once...Do you serve dog??? Cooked of course..Bet with BOK CHOY over RICE its good..

I hope yer not home sick...In yer case you have no home....Feel sorry for yer MOM...MOMS DAY IN CHINA???...How could they..Killing little baby girles!

Stay well.....Watch yer back...watch what you type here...Would not like to see you disappear.....CIAO!
breaking balls

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Bob Burns wrote:
the Cold World War is done now is Globall Warmie war;-0000
breaking balls

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
dr. Bill_mr! depant where U@almanac! AZ it"s global super hot...it's nice:)here..;-0
Obama Eats Dogs

Cherry Hill, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Not.
You are an idiot. Get some professional help. LOL I hear they have Chicken Little Meetings in Frisco. LOL
Obama Eats Dogs

Cherry Hill, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Be careful or Man Bear Pig will get you..LOL
I'm super cereal. LOL
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

CHECK SIX wrote:
<quoted text>
BOB BURNS??? back I see...How was Brainwashing School...Are you permitted to know of this guy?
National Review Online) The blind Chinese human-rights activist Chen Guangcheng, who escaped from house arrest on April 22 and may be under the protection of the U.S. Embassy, was initially detained for exposing the massive abuse of Chinese women under Chinaís one-child policy. His documentation of forced sterilizations and abortions landed him in jail for four years, followed by a year and a half of house arrest. His daring escape has now triggered renewed attacks on organizations engaged in helping Chinese women keep and feed their infants."
"In the 30 years of the brutal one-child policy, hundreds of millions of infants have been killed. This has led to serious social problems that are now obvious ó not only the gender imbalance but also the aging of the general population. Regardless, the PRC government forges ahead with its notoriously inhumane policy.'...Killing Babys!..One way to cull that Communist Chicken coop
Our Family now has two Chinese kids....The unwanted,Your REJECTS...No Good enough for Those Chinks...Two beautiful baby girls..who now have the gift of free life with care and love!
They went to china, my Neice,and husband..and RESCUED them from a miserable life,or Death...the Bastards took the money of course..Like Baby Slaves Sold for cash1..so much for humanitarian values!!
I Know Bob you do not know of this....Yer not a Women abuser or a child killer....But Be assured The FREE WORLD KNOWS
Glad you like POLLUTION and LEAD POISONING...Ironic China is sowing the very seeds of which will KILL ALL CHINK COMMIE BASTARDS!..Hope lung Cancer dos not get you Bob!!
Hows business??? What are ya cooking?...Our President ate DOG once...Do you serve dog??? Cooked of course..Bet with BOK CHOY over RICE its good..
I hope yer not home sick...In yer case you have no home....Feel sorry for yer MOM...MOMS DAY IN CHINA???...How could they..Killing little baby girles!
Stay well.....Watch yer back...watch what you type here...Would not like to see you disappear.....CIAO!
Hey yeah. How you doin'? Yeah, life is good here in China. It's a liberal-free zone

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••