Texas Censors Science

Nov 5, 2011 Full story: Common Dreams 30

Religious feeling is as much a verity as any other part of human consciousness; and against it, on the subjective side, the waves of science beat in vain.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#1 Nov 5, 2011
From the article:

"In 2009 TCEQ’s Galveston Bay Estuary Program commissioned a scientific study entitled “State of the Bay 2010 ” the purpose of which was to focus on the health of the Bay of Galveston. TCEQ retained the Houston Advanced Research Center to produce the report and the Center asked John Anderson, the Maurice Ewing professor of oceanography at Rice University to write a chapter for inclusion in the report dealing with rising sea levels. Dr. Anderson completed his report and gave it to the commission. Then a strange thing happened. In the part of the report that includes Dr. Anderson’s chapter, the Commission deleted references to climate change, the rise in sea level and the effect of humans on the environment. When Dr. Anderson learned of this he shared the chapter he had written with reporters. His conclusions, including references to the human causes of climate change that had been censored, were reported by assorted media outlets. In response, the Commission deleted his entire chapter from its report. This does not, of course, alter his conclusions. What it does is plant the Commission squarely in the camp that does not believe climate change is attributable to human activities or that climate change has caused a rise in the sea level."

As if this is a surprise to anyone involved in the SCIENCE vs. bronze age FAIRY TALE "debate" ... and yes, The Dude, I know this will cost the life of kyoot liddle kitteh.
The Dude

Ellesmere Port, UK

#2 Nov 5, 2011
Not even roboblogger likes kyoot liddle kittehs?

:-(
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#3 Nov 5, 2011
YouHelpFixIt

Nottingham, MD

#4 Nov 14, 2011
MIDutch wrote:
From the article:
"In 2009 TCEQ’s Galveston Bay Estuary Program commissioned a scientific study entitled “State of the Bay 2010 ” the purpose of which was to focus on the health of the Bay of Galveston. TCEQ retained the Houston Advanced Research Center to produce the report and the Center asked John Anderson, the Maurice Ewing professor of oceanography at Rice University to write a chapter for inclusion in the report dealing with rising sea levels. Dr. Anderson completed his report and gave it to the commission. Then a strange thing happened. In the part of the report that includes Dr. Anderson’s chapter, the Commission deleted references to climate change, the rise in sea level and the effect of humans on the environment. When Dr. Anderson learned of this he shared the chapter he had written with reporters. His conclusions, including references to the human causes of climate change that had been censored, were reported by assorted media outlets. In response, the Commission deleted his entire chapter from its report. This does not, of course, alter his conclusions. What it does is plant the Commission squarely in the camp that does not believe climate change is attributable to human activities or that climate change has caused a rise in the sea level."
As if this is a surprise to anyone involved in the SCIENCE vs. bronze age FAIRY TALE "debate" ... and yes, The Dude, I know this will cost the life of kyoot liddle kitteh.
Do you have any data that shows climate change has effected the rate of sea level rise for Galviston? The tide data collected as far back as 1909 shows a steady sea level rise in Galviston.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/slt...

I don't see how removing the portion of the report that failed to stick to the facts is as bad thing.
LowellGuy

United States

#5 Nov 14, 2011
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any data that shows climate change has effected the rate of sea level rise for Galviston? The tide data collected as far back as 1909 shows a steady sea level rise in Galviston.
I don't see how removing the portion of the report that failed to stick to the facts is as bad thing.
They got what they asked for, and rather than include it, they excluded it because it didn't fit their agenda. How is that unbiased?
YouHelpFixIt

Scottsdale, AZ

#6 Nov 14, 2011
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
They got what they asked for, and rather than include it, they excluded it because it didn't fit their agenda. How is that unbiased?
Do you have any data that supports the claims that Climate change has effected sea level rise in Gaviston, or are you just conceding that the part they took out was part of someone elses agenda?

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#7 Nov 14, 2011
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any data that supports the claims that Climate change has effected sea level rise in Gaviston, or are you just conceding that the part they took out was part of someone elses agenda?
Climate change has not caused a change in sea level, it will cause a change in sea level. Please do try to keep up. That was a very weak attempt at starting a straw man argument.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#8 Nov 14, 2011
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Sea level change in Galviston is part of the bigger picture of sea level changes world-wide. The sea level does not just rise (or fall) in Galviston (tidal forces notwithstanding).

2) Sea level rise is directly connected to the average rise in temperatures world-wide, as higher temperatures tend to melt ice caps in the artic, and glaciers world-wide. This has been documented.

3) Higher world-wide temperatures have been linked to the increase of greenhouse gasses, most notibly CO2. CO2 *IS* a naturally-forming gas, but the amount of CO2 has increased dramatically. The most contributing factor to this increase in CO2 is burning of fossil fuels, as indicated by the isotope ratio of Carbon found in CO2. This is explained in detail *here*:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives...
The Dude

Ellesmere Port, UK

#9 Nov 14, 2011
YouHelpFixIt

Scottsdale, AZ

#10 Nov 14, 2011
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Sea level change in Galviston is part of the bigger picture of sea level changes world-wide. The sea level does not just rise (or fall) in Galviston (tidal forces notwithstanding).
2) Sea level rise is directly connected to the average rise in temperatures world-wide, as higher temperatures tend to melt ice caps in the artic, and glaciers world-wide. This has been documented.
3) Higher world-wide temperatures have been linked to the increase of greenhouse gasses, most notibly CO2. CO2 *IS* a naturally-forming gas, but the amount of CO2 has increased dramatically. The most contributing factor to this increase in CO2 is burning of fossil fuels, as indicated by the isotope ratio of Carbon found in CO2. This is explained in detail *here*:
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives...
1. The data does not show a change in the rate of sea level rise in Galviston TX since 1909.

2. The data does not show a change in the rate of sea level rise in Galviston TX since 1909.

3. The data does not show a change in the rate of sea level rise in Galviston TX since 1909.

If you have some data to show that it has effected sea level in Galviston then please show it.
YouHelpFixIt

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 Nov 14, 2011
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Climate change has not caused a change in sea level, it will cause a change in sea level. Please do try to keep up. That was a very weak attempt at starting a straw man argument.
Nope, the IPCC says that sea levels HAVE been effected, so does the writer of the report. The DATA says that Galviston Sea Levels have not been effected.

Tell us again why we should ignore the actual data and keep his opinion in the report?
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#12 Nov 14, 2011
It's Texas.

George WMD Bush

Rick Perry

Nuff said.

I think we should give it back to Mexico.

Orlando

#13 Nov 14, 2011
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The data does not show a change in the rate of sea level rise in Galviston TX since 1909.
2. The data does not show a change in the rate of sea level rise in Galviston TX since 1909.
3. The data does not show a change in the rate of sea level rise in Galviston TX since 1909.
If you have some data to show that it has effected sea level in Galviston then please show it.
From the article:

"Two Texas state senators wrote to the chairman of the Commission to determine why it had censored Dr. Anderson’s work. In response the Commission’s spokesman, Andy Saenz,, the spokesperson for the Commission, said the commission did not want what it described as “controversial implications” about global warming included in the report. It did not like the fact that Dr. Anderson stated that the level of the water in Galveston Bay had risen. In addition, Mr. Saenz was shocked that the report had been leaked to the press, saying it was “premature and unprofessional.” Addressing the charge that the commission had censored the report, Mr. Saenz said that if Dr. Anderson’s conclusions were included in the official report they would be attributable to the commission.“Why”, he asked,“should we include questionable information we don’t agree with.”

Dr. Anderson has a slightly different take on the subject. He was particularly troubled that the commission removed sections that link sea level rise to global warming.“Sea level rise is hard to deny. You can debate climate warming, but sea level is going up, it’s measured globally, with satellites. For them to be so bold as to remove it-they actually omitted whole sentences that mentioned sea level rise.”

<<<End cut/paste>>>

Now what was that you were saying about the data not showing a sea level rise in Galviston?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#14 Nov 14, 2011
Global mean sea level data?

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/1_msl.gi...

Galveston?

"Due to a number of environmental factors like coastal erosion, sea level rise and hurricanes, Galveston faces an uncertain future," Anderson said. "The atlas is designed to provide the island's policymakers, citizens and visitors with some background information on expected environmental changes to the island over the next century and offer possible solutions to the problems it faces."

http://www.guidrynews.com/story.aspx...

Orlando

#15 Nov 14, 2011
The Dude wrote:
Not even roboblogger likes kyoot liddle kittehs?
:-(
One that got away, Dude?

http://blog.andrewmuto.com/post/67335493/kitt...
YouHelpFixIt

Nottingham, MD

#16 Nov 14, 2011
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
From the article:
"Two Texas state senators wrote to the chairman of the Commission to determine why it had censored Dr. Anderson’s work. In response the Commission’s spokesman, Andy Saenz,, the spokesperson for the Commission, said the commission did not want what it described as “controversial implications” about global warming included in the report. It did not like the fact that Dr. Anderson stated that the level of the water in Galveston Bay had risen. In addition, Mr. Saenz was shocked that the report had been leaked to the press, saying it was “premature and unprofessional.” Addressing the charge that the commission had censored the report, Mr. Saenz said that if Dr. Anderson’s conclusions were included in the official report they would be attributable to the commission.“Why”, he asked,“should we include questionable information we don’t agree with.”
Dr. Anderson has a slightly different take on the subject. He was particularly troubled that the commission removed sections that link sea level rise to global warming.“Sea level rise is hard to deny. You can debate climate warming, but sea level is going up, it’s measured globally, with satellites. For them to be so bold as to remove it-they actually omitted whole sentences that mentioned sea level rise.”
<<<End cut/paste>>>
Now what was that you were saying about the data not showing a sea level rise in Galviston?
I was very clear. I wrote that: The data does not show a change in the rate of sea level rise in Galviston TX since 1909. Look at the data.

Tell us how much you think climate change has effected sea level rise in Galviston TX?

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#17 Nov 14, 2011
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, the IPCC says that sea levels HAVE been effected, so does the writer of the report. The DATA says that Galviston Sea Levels have not been effected.
Tell us again why we should ignore the actual data and keep his opinion in the report?
Links for both please. I am aware of very minor changes in sea level, But since in some areas the land itself is rising or falling there can be other factors that affect sea level.

Put it this way, so far there has been very little rise in sea level due to climate change, but that situation will not stay the same if the climate keeps warming.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#18 Nov 15, 2011
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
I was very clear. I wrote that: The data does not show a change in the rate of sea level rise in Galviston TX since 1909. Look at the data.
Tell us how much you think climate change has effected sea level rise in Galviston TX?
"I haven't seen the wind speed change at all, so why should I believe the scientists when they tell me a hurricane is approaching?"

Some people just can;'t seem to figure it out.
YouHelpFixIt

Scottsdale, AZ

#19 Nov 18, 2011
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
"I haven't seen the wind speed change at all, so why should I believe the scientists when they tell me a hurricane is approaching?"
Some people just can;'t seem to figure it out.
And if the scientist tells you where just in a hurricane, when you know you had not, you would not believe.

So tell me where is the data that shows the sea levels rise in Galveston has been effected by climate change?
LMT

Twinsburg, OH

#20 Nov 18, 2011
Texas. Sorry, but I can't feel sorry for the willfully ignorant. Galveston will be a submerged snorkeling curiosity in 2025.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Scientists Unraveled the El Nino Mystery Dec 7 SpaceBlues 1
'Project Recover' Searches for Long-Lost World ... Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
CO2 curve ticks upward as key climate talks loom (Nov '09) Oct '14 Brian_G 259
Study: Warming Temperatures In Pacific Not Asso... Sep '14 litesong 2
Pakistan earthquake island belching poisonous gas (Sep '13) Sep '14 Snark Snark 13
Swinging CO2 Levels Show The Earth Is 'Breathin... (Aug '13) Sep '14 Earthling-1 80
Does Antarctic sea ice growth negate climate ch... Aug '14 Jim the Hoax Denier 3
More from around the web