Golf pairings solution required
pkg703

Brewster, NY

#21 Apr 20, 2009
16 golfers 5 rds.
Joe Guest

United States

#22 May 7, 2009
Mike, I'm in a golf league, and this year we have 28 golfers, and will play 16 weeks (starting 05/05/09). Can you send a spreadsheet I can use for this?

Thanks,
Joe Guest
[email protected]
mike zisman wrote:
having lived with this problem for 15 years, and having a Ph.D. in operations research, i finally decided to deal with it. i have both an integer programming solution and an excellent algorithm implemented. input is number of golfers, number of rounds, who is missing from rounds, who must always play together, and who must be spread among groups (e.g., players 1,2,3 and 4 should always be in different groups). i would be happy to run some real world cases and send you the results - both a text file and an ecxel spreadsheet are created. contact me at [email protected] this is going to be part of a larger web site supporting buddy golf trips - paitings, marked scorecards, tournaments, group expenses, etc.
John Carver

Mesa, AZ

#23 May 16, 2009
12 golfers, 6 rounds
What's the best I can do to schedule 12 golfers playing 6 rounds so that there's not many playing 3 times with the same person.
PMF

Littleton, CO

#24 May 21, 2009
Thanks for setting me up, Mike! Great application. Saved me lots of time.

Since: Mar 09

Glenolden, PA

#25 May 22, 2009
since my post in april, i have done about 20 pairings for people. most popular group size by far is 12. i have added a number of features based on requests:
- partner play: program can now optimize for partner play in addition to foursomes, trying to have everyone else partnered with everyone else about the same number of times.
- control specific number of times two people are together (e.g., Rich H post above: we want to play ABCD, but i'd like each of the A's to play together once, each of the B's etc.).
-what i call bias: In a group of 12, for example, "i want everyone to play with everyone else at least once, even though this means some poeple will be paired 3 times", vs. "I don't want any two players paired 3 times, even if this means that a few people will not be paired together at all".

the offfer to do pairings for free still stands: number of golfers, number of rounds, who is missing for any round, who should always be paired together, which players should be spread out as much as possible (ABCD, for example), bias as described above, preference on specifc people playing together x times, and team play (same partner every round) vs. partner play (optimize for partners but i have a different partner every round) vs. standard group play w/o partners - optimize foursomes/threesomes.

Glenolden, PA

#26 May 22, 2009
pkg703 wrote:
16 golfers 5 rds.
sorry. i just saw this. send me your email address and i will send the solution. do you want a excel spreadsheet that has the parings, also. and, if you send me the names, i will generate the output with the golfer names,

Glenolden, PA

#27 May 22, 2009
Joe Guest wrote:
Mike, I'm in a golf league, and this year we have 28 golfers, and will play 16 weeks (starting 05/05/09). Can you send a spreadsheet I can use for this?
Thanks,
Joe Guest
[email protected]
<quoted text>
sorry, i jsut saw this. i can do this if you still need it.let me know if you also want an excel spreadsheet. and if you supply the golfer names, i will produce output with the names plugged in,

Glenolden, PA

#28 May 22, 2009
John Carver wrote:
12 golfers, 6 rounds
What's the best I can do to schedule 12 golfers playing 6 rounds so that there's not many playing 3 times with the same person.
sorry, i jsut saw this. if you still need it, i'm glad to do it. do you also need an excel spreadsheet? if you give me the names, i will generate output with names. pls email to [email protected]
Brian smith

Edinburgh, UK

#29 May 26, 2009
A huge thanks to Mike Zisman.
His golf pairing program answered my query in no time at all putting the science behind an otherwise manual process.

Thanks.
Amanda

UK

#30 May 29, 2009
Thanks again to Michael who kindly helped me with a pairings solution for our golfing society here in the UK. Without your help I am sure I would still be trying to do it! Thank you once more. Amanda
CR Howell

Aquaforte, Canada

#31 Jun 1, 2009
I too have the same old problem - 12 golfers over 4 rounds. If anyone can provide a template for a solution, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Reading, PA

#32 Jun 1, 2009
CR Howell wrote:
I too have the same old problem - 12 golfers over 4 rounds. If anyone can provide a template for a solution, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
CR Howell - send me the golfer names and i will send the optimal pairing. send to [email protected]
CR Howell

Aquaforte, Canada

#33 Jun 1, 2009
Thanks Mike. I just sent to your gmail account. I really appreciate this. Been a headache for 3 years now!
CR Howell

Aquaforte, Canada

#34 Jun 2, 2009
Wow Mike! That solution works great! I really appreciate the timely response and the setup. I can now officially tell the other golfers that we were independently arranged in the most fair manner available!
John Carver

Oakville, Canada

#35 Jun 8, 2009
Our golf trip has changed from 12 to 16 of us.
We are playing 6 rounds (4 foursomes each round). Is there any way we can all play in a foursome with every other guy at least once?

Darby, PA

#36 Jun 8, 2009
John Carver wrote:
Our golf trip has changed from 12 to 16 of us.
We are playing 6 rounds (4 foursomes each round). Is there any way we can all play in a foursome with every other guy at least once?
yes. in 6 rounds, a golfer will be with 3 other golfers 6 times, for a total of 18 companions. since there are 15 other golfers, he ideally will play with 12 golfers once, and 3 golfers 2 times (3 times 2 = 6, plus 12 = 18). if every golfer has that profile, we have a perfect pairing.
i generated a perfect pairing. email me the names (tom, dick, harry - or full names) and i will send you a spreadsheet with the pairings. email is [email protected]
John Carver

Oakville, Canada

#37 Jun 9, 2009
mike zisman wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry, i jsut saw this. if you still need it, i'm glad to do it. do you also need an excel spreadsheet? if you give me the names, i will generate output with names. pls email to [email protected]
Mike Zisman has improved my attempt at pairings significantly. I had 9 cases where players were paired 3 times. Mike's response to my request for help reduced the number of cases where players are paired 3 times to only 3 cases.
dandarlin

Wisbech, UK

#38 Jun 24, 2009
Thanks Mike. you helped me out with my golf pairings many thanks..Dan
Seth H

New York, NY

#39 Jun 24, 2009
Michael Zisman is a savior!!! Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it.
Keith Blair

Columbia, MD

#40 Jul 5, 2009
Mike Zisman is a genius! I emailed him last night with my requirements and by this morning I had a spreadsheet with the pairings. No more complaints from the group about not playing with everyone. I highly recommend him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mathematics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Faces of Islam 3 hr johannes 68
News Texas Supreme Court sidesteps key home schoolin... Jun 25 Paddling has its ... 2
.. Golf League Apr '16 Sam 1
News Respected professor accused of arson - Hawaii News (Jul '09) Mar '16 District 1 4
News Mayor Fischer attends discussion on Latinos' st... Mar '16 Dude 1
News Standardized Tests Are a New Glass Ceiling Mar '16 MaltaMon 1
News Gov't report: 8 states had significant drop in ... Feb '16 tarp survivor 67
More from around the web