Golf pairings solution required

Posted in the Mathematics Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Richard Croxford

UK

#1 Jan 20, 2007
12 players in 3 teams of 4. Playing 4 rounds of golf.... How do I arrange the pairings so that everybody plays each other????

There is an opportunity tp play 4 rounds with 3 different people (12 pesons)so there must be one repetition ??? There must be a formula for this but I am no mathematician. help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. [email protected]

Since: Jan 07

UK

#2 Jan 22, 2007
I am surprised that there are no comments to my question.

Could somebody point me in the correct direction where I may be able to get an answer please.

Thanks
John Goodwin

Morecambe, UK

#3 Jun 6, 2007
Richard Croxford wrote:
12 players in 3 teams of 4. Playing 4 rounds of golf.... How do I arrange the pairings so that everybody plays each other????
There is an opportunity tp play 4 rounds with 3 different people (12 pesons)so there must be one repetition ??? There must be a formula for this but I am no mathematician. help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. [email protected]
I see you had no reponse. Wish you had as I have exactly the same problem with a group of 12 I manage every year.....and like you, not being a mathematician make it impossible to arrange the pairings without excessive duplication in certain cases and the opposite in others!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#4 Jun 6, 2007
Sorry, but combinatorics is not my strong suit. I have been meaning to do something about that, but I always seem to have other things on my plate.

I could fumble out a solution, but I get the impression you need something with some theoretical meat behind it. You might start with Wikipedia's article on combinatorics and see if you can come up with some links that will lead to what you need.
Jeff Kennedy

Cape Coral, FL

#5 Jul 21, 2007
16 Players
5 rounds of Golf
Need pairing of 4 with the least duplication

Thanks
Pete

Lehigh Acres, FL

#6 Jul 26, 2007
Richard Croxford wrote:
Try using www.golfcaptains.com . It has a built in algorithm that randomly assigns players to teams which and balances handicaps.
Neil Unsworth

Birmingham, UK

#7 Aug 1, 2007
A friend of mine is organising our golf trip and has the same issue. 12 players, 4 rounds each.
I've found this link:
http://probablegolfinstruction.com/tournament...

You have to pay to download a spreadsheet. Unfortunately my friend isn't willing to pay so we'll end up not playing everyone.
Bob

Hollywood, FL

#8 Feb 9, 2008
Jeff Kennedy wrote:
16 Players
5 rounds of Golf
Need pairing of 4 with the least duplication
Thanks
This is probably too late.... but just in case. I have a schedule for 16 players for 5 weeks: four players play with everyone else once, of the other 12, they repeat play with two players, don't play with two players and play once with the remainder. I also have a schedule for 11 weeks in which everyone plays with everyone else twice. email me at [email protected] for full details.
Gordon Cook

Jupiter, FL

#9 Mar 26, 2008
The best source for golf pairings is Golfsort.com .

Included there is a perfect pairings for 16 golfers, 5 events. Each golfer plays once, and only once, with each of the other 15 golfers.

Golfsort provides history based pairings for golf leagues where no one plays with anyone he/she played with before, or at least not for a long time.
randy shankle

Fayetteville, AR

#10 Apr 15, 2008
8 players 6 rounds

How do I spread this with as little duplication as possible?
JCs

San Mateo, CA

#11 May 23, 2008
Richard Croxford wrote:
I am surprised that there are no comments to my question.
Could somebody point me in the correct direction where I may be able to get an answer please.
Thanks
It is impossible.
bob

United States

#12 Jun 18, 2008
randy shankle wrote:
8 players 6 rounds
How do I spread this with as little duplication as possible?
The following will allow everyone to play with everyone else at least twice over the six rounds,(in fact you'll play with most of the others three times).

If you can expand the number of rounds to seven, you can have everyone play with everyone exactly three times (once as a partner within the foursome, twice as an opponent). If you can't expand the number of rounds, just use the first six and you'll still end up with a fairly well-balanced schedule:

Foursome: 1 2
Round1: 18/26 34/57
Round2: 28/37 45/16
Round3: 38/14 56/72
Round4: 48/25 67/13
Round5: 58/36 17/24
Round6: 68/47 12/35
Round7: 78/15 23/46

expl: "18/26" means 1 partners with 8 against 2 and 6.

Hope this helps
Norwood

United States

#13 Jul 8, 2008
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
The following will allow everyone to play with everyone else at least twice over the six rounds,(in fact you'll play with most of the others three times).
If you can expand the number of rounds to seven, you can have everyone play with everyone exactly three times (once as a partner within the foursome, twice as an opponent). If you can't expand the number of rounds, just use the first six and you'll still end up with a fairly well-balanced schedule:
Foursome: 1 2
Round1: 18/26 34/57
Round2: 28/37 45/16
Round3: 38/14 56/72
Round4: 48/25 67/13
Round5: 58/36 17/24
Round6: 68/47 12/35
Round7: 78/15 23/46
expl: "18/26" means 1 partners with 8 against 2 and 6.
Hope this helps
What would the numbers be for 8 players and 4 rounds!
Terry Ryan

Eight Mile Plains, Australia

#14 Jan 1, 2009
Richard

Did you ever get a satisfactory solution to your query? I have the same issue coming up in a coupe of months, namely 12 of us playig in 3 groups on 4 different courses.

Cheers

Terry
Richard Croxford wrote:
Mickey O

Lisle, IL

#15 Feb 13, 2009
Need a format for 9 players playing 3 somes for 3 rounds with as few duplications as possible.
Harry

South Africa

#16 Feb 24, 2009
I have a trip coming up with 8 players and 4 rounds.
I have found that 1 of these 2 options is the best you'll get:

Option1:(You play with one player 3 times, 4 players twice, and 2 players once)

1 7 1 1
2 8 7 6
3 1 3 3
4 2 5 8

5 3 2 2
6 4 8 5
7 5 4 4
8 6 6 7

Option2:(You play with 6 players twice and one not at all)

1 7 1 6
2 8 7 7
3 1 3 2
4 2 5 3

5 3 2 8
6 4 8 5
7 5 4 1
8 6 6 4

I prefer Option 1 as at least you get to play with everyone on the tour.
mike zisman

Darby, PA

#17 Mar 31, 2009
having lived with this problem for 15 years, and having a Ph.D. in operations research, i finally decided to deal with it. i have both an integer programming solution and an excellent algorithm implemented. input is number of golfers, number of rounds, who is missing from rounds, who must always play together, and who must be spread among groups (e.g., players 1,2,3 and 4 should always be in different groups). i would be happy to run some real world cases and send you the results - both a text file and an ecxel spreadsheet are created. contact me at [email protected] this is going to be part of a larger web site supporting buddy golf trips - paitings, marked scorecards, tournaments, group expenses, etc.
mike zisman

Darby, PA

#18 Mar 31, 2009
contact is [email protected]
Rich H

Palatine, IL

#19 Apr 11, 2009
I contacted Mike Zisman and he was able to run the combinations I requested, AND FAST!! I wanted 12 players, in 4 groups for 6 & 7 rounds. The players in each group played each other only once and the rest of the pairing were set up for the maximum diversity. Most played each other twice, a few three times. It was PERFECT. He even sent a spreadsheet with the pairing and times played for each. I'd suggest you contact him for assistance, the man is a wizard with this. I for one, am looking forward to his web site. Thanks again Mike.
Wallace

Ashington, UK

#20 Apr 20, 2009
Mike Zisman responded very quickly to my query re 12 golfers playing 4 rounds. Saved me a lot of time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mathematics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
.. Golf League Apr '16 Sam 1
News Respected professor accused of arson - Hawaii News (Jul '09) Mar '16 District 1 6
News Mayor Fischer attends discussion on Latinos' st... Mar '16 Dude 1
News Standardized Tests Are a New Glass Ceiling Mar '16 MaltaMon 1
News Gov't report: 8 states had significant drop in ... Feb '16 tarp survivor 67
News Hottest average global temperature ever recorde... Jan '16 Earthling-1 21
News Unfold the invisible - The myth of "model minor... Jan '16 Aussie Bob 1
More from around the web