Risks of hormone therapy decline over time, study finds

Full story: Chicago Tribune

The risks famously linked to post-menopausal hormone therapy largely vanish within a few years after women stop using the drugs, researchers reported Tuesday.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Sep 15, 2013
Really Angry

Freeport, Bahamas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

If I remember the study correctly they stopped in the middle of it because they were so alarmed by the negative results. During the study the women were only taking hormone replacement for a short time when they began getting heart attacks, blood clots, strokes and breast cancer. Now this report suggests that women begin taking hormone replacement therapy again to alleviate menopausal symptoms, for a short time, just like they did in the study. I don't get it. What has changed? The suggestion seems that women should get ill or die needlessly again so that drug companies can make big profits. And just an aside, taking the hormone therapy only alleviates the symptoms while taking the hormones. When you quit, all the symptoms start anew. So what's the point of short therapy? Just money for the drug companies, and no concern for the health of women!
FitFatChik

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

OR, this study could have been influenced by Pharma to avoid lawsuits. Medical studies are a joke these days. Just because the Women's Health Project sponsored the study means nothing. Do any of the researchers have Pharma ties? I wonder how many people know that former Surgeon General Koop's Shape Up America was sponsored by Wyeth, to draw attention to the "crisis" of obesity. They wanted to scare the public into taking diet pills, knowing full well lifestyle changes only go so far. When the scandal came out, they stopped funding it. Speaking of fen-phen, the news reported the pill was safe long after an established body count piled up.

As far as hormone replacement contributing to breast cancer, I wouldn't doubt it. Breast cancer rates dropped a few years after women reduced hrt. The reason the media shoves down our throat lifestyle causes of breast (and other) cancers is to draw attention away from itself and its pills nasty side effects. NOTHING from them is trustworthy!!!!
JustMe

Villa Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

I find it very interesting and ironic that this article and another both are ont he Tribune's web site (front page) at the same time. The other one warns about the increased risk of developing various cancers (specifically lung) and how that risk increases over time even after hrt has discontinued. Who is overseeing the content published that two similar, yet almost contradictory articles, are published at the same time...

It seems one is meant to put women at ease and the other is meant to be an informative warning. However, as another comment previously stated, the relief from hrt is temporary and will symptoms will continue once medication is discontinued.

Our bodies were designed to function a certain way and taking a replacement for something that has naturally declined is not the best method of taking care of ourselves. Eat right, drink lots of water, exercise, and get fresh air. All of these combined will reduce any negative side-effects of the natural process of aging.
JustMe

Villa Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

I forgot to get off my rocker and post the link:
Hormone Use Linked to Cancer Risks
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworl...
OMGWTF

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

Really Angry wrote:
If I remember the study correctly they stopped in the middle of it because they were so alarmed by the negative results. During the study the women were only taking hormone replacement for a short time when they began getting heart attacks, blood clots, strokes and breast cancer. Now this report suggests that women begin taking hormone replacement therapy again to alleviate menopausal symptoms, for a short time, just like they did in the study. I don't get it. What has changed? The suggestion seems that women should get ill or die needlessly again so that drug companies can make big profits. And just an aside, taking the hormone therapy only alleviates the symptoms while taking the hormones. When you quit, all the symptoms start anew. So what's the point of short therapy? Just money for the drug companies, and no concern for the health of women!
Like anything it comes down to a risk/benefit consideration. If your symptoms are severe enough that an increased risk of stroke, heart attack or cancer worth it, then so be it, as long as you are informed of the risks and any evidence of new risks as you continue treatment.
Therapy Schmerapy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

I am getting rather annoyed at this point over the back and forth and contradiction over hormone therapy. It seems to me that scientific papers are published waaay too quickly these days, with a minimum of peer review and replicaton of results. This I understand is due to pharmaceutical and health industry attempts to market according to these findings, regardless of how tentative they are. And of course we have the opposite situation, where negative findings are minimized so as not to impede sales of the pharmacuetical - suicidal depression linked to SRI drugs comes to mind.

When I tried to get hormone therapy last year I couldn't get it, much to my misery and embarrassement. Do you think I should risk embarrassing myself again, in the hopes that my GYN has also reversed her view on this therapy? When I tried to get it the first time, I told her I was aware of the risks and wanted it anyway, but she wouldn't budge. Maybe I should just ride it out, but I tell you, I have learned not to expect answers or help from the medical establishment. I have come to view most of it as an annoying impediment.
Therapy Schmerapy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

FitFatChik wrote:
OR, this study could have been influenced by Pharma to avoid lawsuits. Medical studies are a joke these days. Just because the Women's Health Project sponsored the study means nothing. Do any of the researchers have Pharma ties? I wonder how many people know that former Surgeon General Koop's Shape Up America was sponsored by Wyeth, to draw attention to the "crisis" of obesity. They wanted to scare the public into taking diet pills, knowing full well lifestyle changes only go so far. When the scandal came out, they stopped funding it. Speaking of fen-phen, the news reported the pill was safe long after an established body count piled up.
As far as hormone replacement contributing to breast cancer, I wouldn't doubt it. Breast cancer rates dropped a few years after women reduced hrt. The reason the media shoves down our throat lifestyle causes of breast (and other) cancers is to draw attention away from itself and its pills nasty side effects. NOTHING from them is trustworthy!!!!
Right on, lady. You are on the ball.
Tina

Oak Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

I just looked at the prescription information for Prempro--the amount of estrogen in one tablet is about 6 times the amount of what's in most of today's birth control pills, and the progesterone level is sky-high in comparison too. I'm not a pharmacist so I don't know if there's some kind of chemical difference with the synthetic hormones used, but consider, older birth control pills with high hormone levels were discontinued years ago because of the cardiovascular and breast cancer risk.

Personally I wouldn't consider HRT, but that's just me--but I'm not near menopause, so maybe I'll change my mind once I get to that point. On the other hand, I also feel that it's worth the risk to take birth control pills to alleviate problems with irregular cycles and mood swings that can affect a woman during her entire menstrual lifetime (which could be around 40 years in some cases!). I suppose it depends what risks you're willing to take and at what age.
A Survivor

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

I see a difference in options between the old days and today, back then we were informed that there were no risks to be taken, it was like a 'miracle' pill to keep us vibrant, healthy and young, no warnings were issued about problems associated with the use of HRT. There were no risks to be pondered. 9494 plus, cancers later we learn the truth.
Therapy Schmerapy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

Tina wrote:
I just looked at the prescription information for Prempro--the amount of estrogen in one tablet is about 6 times the amount of what's in most of today's birth control pills, and the progesterone level is sky-high in comparison too. I'm not a pharmacist so I don't know if there's some kind of chemical difference with the synthetic hormones used, but consider, older birth control pills with high hormone levels were discontinued years ago because of the cardiovascular and breast cancer risk.
Personally I wouldn't consider HRT, but that's just me--but I'm not near menopause, so maybe I'll change my mind once I get to that point. On the other hand, I also feel that it's worth the risk to take birth control pills to alleviate problems with irregular cycles and mood swings that can affect a woman during her entire menstrual lifetime (which could be around 40 years in some cases!). I suppose it depends what risks you're willing to take and at what age.
Well, I've been very miserable, tried the alternative therapies - I mean really tried everything out there, from herbs to acupuncture, and nothing worked. I have terribly symptoms too - it is an impediment in my life!
chanelglass

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2008

Does anyone have anything positive to contribute in regards to the use of prempro? I have been using prempro for two months, and i never felt better! I will be 48 years old very soon. before prempro I was so depressed, so hot, and a general feeling of fatigue and anxiety. I know the risks involved, I have done my homework and plan on using prempro until my last refill.
Bandit

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2008

I have been on Prempro for at least the last 10 years. No problems. They are a life saver for me. No more monthly suicidal thoughts from harmone inbalances. I am 53 years old and the last ten years of my life have been living. not torture.... Yes there are risks, but what good is life when the there is no quality of life...
chanelglass

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2008

Hello Bandit, so happy to hear you are feeling much better since starting HRT. I get such a negative vibe from some of the women I speak with. I sincerely understand the women who choose, or can't take HRT but,this whole HRT is soooo bad-rap I have also heard the speech from my friend about pregnant mare urine.
joyce from new york

Wallace, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

i agree whole heartedly with you. i am a breast cancer survior and the dr didn't advice me of any deadly affects from prempro i think the dr never was informed of effects of prempro and deadly affects. i have been cancer free 8 yrs i thank GOD. I started taking prempro for 4 yrs before being affected by the drug PREMPRO. I sincerely belive in my heart that PREMPRO was the cause of my breast cancer and for the suffering of myself and family members and close friends.
i also belive that weyth is more concern with making profits on the their drugs than on each human being affect by their drugs sincewrely concerned joyce from new york
joyce from new york

Wallace, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

i think weyth should have serious conference and think about their customers nmore than themselves. how can they live with themselves knowing their drug prempro caused so much suffering and lost of lives even 1 life would be terrible. how would you feel if it was one of their family members i know without a doubt they would go after the drug maker. that is why i sincerely believe they would understand why so many women are protesting and suing over something that they beleive in. so many women there has to a truth in the drug prempro causing breast cancer no matter how they try to fix the problem women have suffered serious affects from this drug. what about us that are older and took the drug prempro from 1996 to 2001 etc.
i hope PUBLIC REAlizes this and especially WEYTH. HAVE A HEART WEYTH.PLEASE THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO ONE OF YOU LOVED ONES THANK YOU EVERYONE ON THIS SUBJECT AND MAY JUSTICE BE SERVED
chanelglass

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

This is in response to Really Angry's post,

So sorry that you had such a bad reaction on prempro. I still believe HRT has made a huge impact on peri, and menopausal Women in a good way, providing a clean bill of health. Lets face-it menopause is not a gentle force, and many Women struggle with symptoms. I praise the Women who have chosen to say no to HRT. I can't blame Wyeth pharmaceuticals. They list all the possible reactions on Patient Prescription Information.
Javon

Romania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

Naturally, I am skeptical of everything online. http://inhousegeneric.com is legitimate. I placed my first order for the smallest amount possible. It arrived sooner than expected. I didn't pay the extra money for speedy air mail. I placed another order that was much larger and it came right on time. I will definitely use this company again for even larger orders now that I trust them. They also give you discounts every time you place an order which is cool. One thing to keep in mind is if you place a larger order, they will send half in one shipment, and then the other half after that to avoid customs scrutinizing your package. I am very happy, I no longer need to pay tons of money to see a doctor and therapist (and have them tell me a bunch of stuff I already know) in order to get my medication.
Allon

Landshut, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

have been researching for months and reading reviews for each pharmacy and finally decided to take the plunge and order from one. After coming to the conclusion http://goo.gl/bLFWQG seemed the most safest and had the best feedback I ordered my pills. Was very apprehensive at first due to cc fraud, ell and they are good i would definetely recommend and purchase againspam and being generally ripped off (have not received one spam email and no cc fraud) order process and checkout was simple.
placed my order on my debit card and was charged straight away and received confirmation email immediately. choose the speedy del trackable and was advised del would be 7-9 days and order was placed on the 08/01. was just about to email them today to chase up as now 15 days but behold package had been posted through my door. packaging seems as shown on webiste. apart from small delay on advertised shipping time i have been generally please with the pharmacy.
wont be taking the pills for another few weeks yet but all going well and they are good i would definetely recommend and purchase again from them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mathematics Discussions

Search the Mathematics Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Can the decision to refuse vaccination be truly... Jul 20 PLOPAGANDA FEAR MONGERING 1
Let There be Peace Jul 7 Sid 12
THE SAFEST PLACE IN THE LEHIGH VALLEY The town ... (Dec '08) Jul 5 Mom 60
FHS mathematicians visit FSU for competition, l... Jul 5 Pajama People 2
Abortion (Jan '12) Jul 3 godless by choice 30
President Tony Tan to visit Australia Jun '14 Mini 2
Circuit Puncture: Chopsticks Jun '14 Abishai100 1
•••
•••