Scientist challenges Florida agency's...

Scientist challenges Florida agency's stance on red tide

There are 3 comments on the The Associated Press story from Jul 30, 2006, titled Scientist challenges Florida agency's stance on red tide . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

A scientist is challenging a state report that says there is no clear evidence that toxic red tide is on the rise in the waters off southwest Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Mrs BD

Wake Forest, NC

#1 Jul 31, 2006
More than 25 years ago, my husband and I began to spend winters in Florida on the south west coast and we did not even know what "red tide" was. As the red tide became worse, people walking on the beach became ill. One year I looked out from my balcony to see our marina, which was very close to the gulf, covered with floating dead fish and the air was toxic. It was necessary to keep all windows and doors closed because of my asthma. There is no doubt in my mind that red tide is getting worse.
Surfereal

Oviedo, FL

#2 Jul 31, 2006
It's not so great on the east side, either. There are days you can't go to the beach without coughing, just this Saturday the easterly breeze brought the smell of rotting fish to my nostrils. The government denies global warming, too, that doesn't make it stop! It's the warmer waters that cause those nasty algae blooms in the first place ( and too many "nutrients" (pollution in layman's terms.)
SassyRed

AOL

#3 Aug 1, 2006
Another prime example how money means more than a human life...without beaches> no tourist, no real estate, one lie after another..just plain 'ole nutrients'...from the mouth of our politicians.
Amazing how they try and convince the public they are not seeing what they are seeing..(and smelling)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is swimming with dolphins bad for them? (Sep '07) Nov 11 Cuntpuncher 20
Fish camouflage Oct '16 gay fish 2
Sting on face in Spanish sea Aug '16 Jimmy 1
What is this Creature Aug '16 Ayesh244 1
What is this thing I found? (Jan '16) Jul '16 Anonymous 2
What is this creature? (Mar '16) Jul '16 Anonymous 2
Help! What is this bone? Jul '16 Anonymous 2
More from around the web