What kills most marine life in your o...

What kills most marine life in your opinion?

Posted in the Marine Biology Forum

Kris

Melbourne, Australia

#1 Sep 13, 2006
Goodmorning

I am writing a report for a school Year10 essay and I would like your opinion on the following.

What kills most marine life in your opinion? Commercial Fishing, Pollution in the water or the fact that some recreational Fisherpeople ignore bag limits?

Many Thanks

Kristian
peggy

Warren, OH

#2 Oct 31, 2006
i think that pollution in the water kills most marine life. a lot of people these days do not understand how important marine life is and so they pollute the waters not even thining of the consequences.
CAZ

Lynnwood, WA

#3 Apr 5, 2007
Overfishing
Pollution
Global warming
lauren

UK

#4 Apr 24, 2007
what kind of pollution kills sharks

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#5 May 18, 2007
Kris wrote:
Goodmorning
I am writing a report for a school Year10 essay and I would like your opinion on the following.
What kills most marine life in your opinion? Commercial Fishing, Pollution in the water or the fact that some recreational Fisherpeople ignore bag limits?
Many Thanks
Kristian
Hi Kristian, I use to think it was overfishing but in the past few years I change to pollution. So much needless waste is dumped into our oceans without even a thought of the outcome and now it's getting to be "to late". Also needless slaughtering of fish and mammals that are now heading for the endagered list.
Shilo
olivia

Hamilton, Canada

#6 Feb 16, 2008
My opinion is pollution. People needlessly throw wastes into the ocean, such as oil and garbage. I also agree with Shilo about the slaughtering of fish and mammals.
Phil

Nelson, New Zealand

#7 Feb 16, 2008
Hi Kristian,

as a marine biologist I agree that pollution is a BIG problem,especially in developing countries like China or Russia, but it kills FAR less marine life then most fishing activities, especially bottom trawling. Trawling kills EVERYTHING on the path of the net, most of which species have no or little commercial value. In the North Sea for example every SINGLE spot is trawled 1.8 times per year. How is anything going to grow back in 6 months ? Also, overfishing profoundly changes ecosystem functioning across whole food webs, altering communities and modifying habitat. And while most pollutions are temporary (even though they might seem long on a human life time scale), changes made to ecosystem functioning through overfishing are almost always permanent. See Jackson et al. 2001 - "Historical Overfishing and the Recent Collapse of Coastal Ecosystems" in Science magazine as a useful reference. you can google the article fairly easily.

hope this helps :)
P

Since: Feb 08

Hamilton, Canada

#8 Feb 16, 2008
Woah! Phil, I never knew that! Thank you so much for sharing! Lol, just a quick question thats off topic,how long did it take you to become a marine biologist?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#9 Feb 17, 2008
Phil wrote:
Hi Kristian,
as a marine biologist I agree that pollution is a BIG problem,especially in developing countries like China or Russia, but it kills FAR less marine life then most fishing activities, especially bottom trawling. Trawling kills EVERYTHING on the path of the net, most of which species have no or little commercial value. In the North Sea for example every SINGLE spot is trawled 1.8 times per year. How is anything going to grow back in 6 months ? Also, overfishing profoundly changes ecosystem functioning across whole food webs, altering communities and modifying habitat. And while most pollutions are temporary (even though they might seem long on a human life time scale), changes made to ecosystem functioning through overfishing are almost always permanent. See Jackson et al. 2001 - "Historical Overfishing and the Recent Collapse of Coastal Ecosystems" in Science magazine as a useful reference. you can google the article fairly easily.
hope this helps :)
P
Thanks Phil. I never even thought about trawling but I definately see what you mean.
lisa

United States

#10 Feb 25, 2008
Hi Phil.
I was wondering if you could determine what this animal was. Another user posted pictures of if back on valentines day. I think its horseshoe crab, but i'm not 100% sure.
Thank you so much!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/CHSRA/...

Also the webpage for the guys posting.
Again Thank you!

http://www.topix.com/forum/science/marine-bio...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sting on face in Spanish sea Aug 19 Jimmy 1
What is this Creature Aug 12 Ayesh244 1
What is this thing I found? (Jan '16) Jul '16 Anonymous 2
What is this creature? Jul '16 Anonymous 2
Help! What is this bone? Jul '16 Anonymous 2
Unknown whale specie. Jul '16 Anonymous 1
help wanted! Apr '16 MPS237 3
More from around the web