The real reason no one can find the A...

The real reason no one can find the Ark? A rampant case of crabs.

There are 95 comments on the news.bbc.co.uk story from Nov 11, 2009, titled The real reason no one can find the Ark? A rampant case of crabs.. In it, news.bbc.co.uk reports that:

Deep under the ocean, there is a species of crab that eats trees. The crab survives by eating wood that has sunk to the ocean floor, comprising trunks and leaves swept into the sea, as well as the odd shipwreck.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.bbc.co.uk.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Chaz

Plymouth, UK

#83 Dec 2, 2009
Captain A wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe in GOD then it really doesn't matter how much wind may have been needed or what happened to all the extra water. If GOD has made the earth and the sky and Man then a little water would be nothing to him. Science is a great thing and we are advancing a lot but I will place my faith in GOD rather than man.
And why is that? You owe your life to science: it feeds you, keeps your warm, keeps you healthy, it even keeps you entertained. Science has saved millions of lives and continues to directly benefit mankind in an infinite number of ways.

Meanwhile, what has your religion done for you?
Captain A wrote:
How empty is it to think that this short life is all there is and when you die there is nothing more.
How empty it is to think that this life is just a mere insignificant stepping-stone to an eternal afterlife. Seriously, if you NEED an afterlife to make this life more meaningful then what the hell kind of life are you leading?

Having a finite amount of time in our lives gives us purpose, drive and meaning. How dare you suppose that life is any less meaningful just because you fear death and want to stick your head in the clouds.
Captain A wrote:
Do you think that DNA and RNA with billions of sequences to make a human just happened by accident or is a fluke of nature?
Why wouldn't it be? DNA and RNA replicate every single day for every single child born - no designer required.
Captain A wrote:
So from minerals and elements life just happened?
Nobody knows how life happened. All we suppose is that it happened by natural means as a-posed to a magic spaceman.

To understand why we choose to think this, just ask yourself a simple question: in the entire history of the Universe, has any question ever been answered by "God did it"?
Captain A wrote:
There is no way that so many different processes and chemical interactions have to happen just to have a simple protein which is just a small part of a cell.
Again, all living things reproduce perfectly fine. Complexity does NOT require design.
Captain A wrote:
How did the first cell know to reproduce or how to feed for energy?
That's like asking "how does water know how to heat up in a kettle". Cells don't "know" things, they simply react.
Captain A wrote:
How are Humans able to think or Salmon have the pre programed instinct to swim to the ocean to feed and then come back years later to reproduce at the same spot?
Because all of those things are beneficial to survival and therefore instinctual.
Captain A wrote:
To many of these basic questions that cannot be answered reinforce my belief in GOD and that he designed all of us and the earth.
Well, obviously they CAN be answered, so you never really looked for answers did you?
Captain A wrote:
Man also has the instinct to believe in GOD.
No, it isn't.
Captain A wrote:
...some of us choose to believe in man with all his faults. Whats the purpose of life then? to come from dark, make some money reproduce and then go back to the dark? I cant believe that is all life is.
Just because you can't believe it doesn't mean it isn't true.

What's more, just because there is no God doesn't mean there is no meaning in life. If anything, there is MORE meaning to it since life is more significant than just a waiting room for heaven or hell. Think about that next time you're kissing the arse of your imaginary sky Jew.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#84 Dec 2, 2009
Captain A wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe in GOD ...
Aaaah, I get it: magic.

Well, magic doesn't actually **explain** anything.

In any case?

If god-magic was used constantly to make the flood story work?

Why did not the bible SAY so?

Why the pretense of "natural" causes?

For that matter?

If you're gonna invoke MAGIC?

Why a FLOOD?

WHY NOT JUST SHOOT'EM ALL, WITH GOD'S GLOCK?

Sheesh, but you're an ignorant one...

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#85 Dec 2, 2009
I am just glad that you said glock and not ....

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#86 Dec 2, 2009
Chaz wrote:
What's more, just because there is no God doesn't mean there is no meaning in life. If anything, there is MORE meaning to it since life is more significant than just a waiting room for heaven or hell....
"waiting room for heaven or hell..."

I am **so** gonna quote you on that!

Put it on a bumper sticker:

"Life is more than a waiting room for heaven"

Nice!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#87 Dec 3, 2009
Captain A wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe in GOD then it really doesn't matter how much wind may have been needed or what happened to all the extra water. If GOD has made the earth and the sky and Man then a little water would be nothing to him. Science is a great thing and we are advancing a lot but I will place my faith in GOD rather than man. How empty is it to think that this short life is all there is and when you die there is nothing more.
Do you think that DNA and RNA with billions of sequences to make a human just happened by accident or is a fluke of nature? So from minerals and elements life just happened? There is no way that so many different processes and chemical interactions have to happen just to have a simple protein which is just a small part of a cell. How did the first cell know to reproduce or how to feed for energy? How are Humans able to think or Salmon have the pre programed instinct to swim to the ocean to feed and then come back years later to reproduce at the same spot? To many of these basic questions that cannot be answered reinforce my belief in GOD and that he designed all of us and the earth. Man also has the instinct to believe in GOD....some of us choose to believe in man with all his faults. Whats the purpose of life then? to come from dark, make some money reproduce and then go back to the dark? I cant believe that is all life is.
Wow... can't argue with that.

It's too stupid.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#88 Dec 3, 2009
So Cap'n. What's the "meaning of life" then?
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#89 Dec 3, 2009
Captain A wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe in GOD then it really doesn't matter how much wind may have been needed or what happened to all the extra water. If GOD has made the earth and the sky and Man then a little water would be nothing to him. Science is a great thing and we are advancing a lot but I will place my faith in GOD rather than man. How empty is it to think that this short life is all there is and when you die there is nothing more.
Do you think that DNA and RNA with billions of sequences to make a human just happened by accident or is a fluke of nature? So from minerals and elements life just happened? There is no way that so many different processes and chemical interactions have to happen just to have a simple protein which is just a small part of a cell. How did the first cell know to reproduce or how to feed for energy? How are Humans able to think or Salmon have the pre programed instinct to swim to the ocean to feed and then come back years later to reproduce at the same spot? To many of these basic questions that cannot be answered reinforce my belief in GOD and that he designed all of us and the earth. Man also has the instinct to believe in GOD....some of us choose to believe in man with all his faults. Whats the purpose of life then? to come from dark, make some money reproduce and then go back to the dark? I cant believe that is all life is.
Sooo,... if you believe in "god" hard enough, reality doesn't matter?

Well, that "kind" of makes sense in "fundamentalist christian" sort of way. Nothing in reality, not career, not friends, not family, not life itself, matters if your whole existence is wrapped up in "earning" that little fantasy spot on the rapture express.

BTW, there are LOTS of people who find a profound purpose in life without resorting to a goat-herder interpretation of a bronze age book of myth and fable
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#90 Dec 3, 2009
Captain A wrote:
<quoted text>How [do] Salmon have the pre programed instinct to swim to the ocean to feed and then come back years later to reproduce at the same spot?
Okay, how would this be evidence for the "fundamentalist christian god"?

If "god" made the salmon, why would they need to spawn in rivers, travel to the ocean to live, then swim back upstream to spawn? Couldn't he just make them so they live out their lives in the ocean like pretty much most EVERY OTHER ocean living fish? Or if he wants them to spawn in the rivers, then why couldn't he just make it so they live their whole lives in the rivers like pretty much most EVERY OTHER river living fish? And why don't all the other fish do the same thing?

Did the "fundamentalist christian god" specifically and uniquely make the salmon live this way so that we humans can say, "wow, isn't that odd how Salmon have the pre programed instinct to swim to the ocean to feed and then come back years later to reproduce at the same spot? Aren't too many fish that do that. It sure is AMAZING and I sure don't understand it, so how else can you explain it other than "goddidit." "

So, "goddidit" explains the salmon, and evolution explains the tens of thousands of other fish species that don't "have the pre programed instinct to swim to the ocean to feed and then come back years later to reproduce at the same spot?"

“a Jedi craves not these things”

Since: Sep 09

Rogers, AR

#91 Dec 3, 2009
Man, proponents for Intelligent Design get gang-raped in here like little girls going to the Richmond High School Homecoming dance!

Since: Mar 09

Indian Trail, NC

#92 Dec 3, 2009
Captain A wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again:
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.- Albert Einstein

HE had people like YOU in mind...childish, arrogant and blissfully ignorant.

Do we really have to review the history of the 1000s of claims that religion once made only to be proven WRONG by science and knowledge...never bet against the smart guys...NEVER.

Meanwhile, nobodyhas EVER seen heaven or hell...let alone who the landlord is.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#93 Dec 3, 2009
Silent Bob7 wrote:
Man, proponents for Intelligent Design get gang-raped in here like little girls going to the Richmond High School Homecoming dance!
Nah, they come here willingly. They're all sadists.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#94 Dec 3, 2009
Captain A wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW!!!

Talk about Argument-From-Incredulity!

"I don't know how it happened...therefore Goddidit!"

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#95 Dec 3, 2009
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, how would this be evidence for the "fundamentalist christian god"?
If "god" made the salmon, why would they need to spawn in rivers, travel to the ocean to live, then swim back upstream to spawn? Couldn't he just make them so they live out their lives in the ocean like pretty much most EVERY OTHER ocean living fish? Or if he wants them to spawn in the rivers, then why couldn't he just make it so they live their whole lives in the rivers like pretty much most EVERY OTHER river living fish? And why don't all the other fish do the same thing?
Did the "fundamentalist christian god" specifically and uniquely make the salmon live this way so that we humans can say, "wow, isn't that odd how Salmon have the pre programed instinct to swim to the ocean to feed and then come back years later to reproduce at the same spot? Aren't too many fish that do that. It sure is AMAZING and I sure don't understand it, so how else can you explain it other than "goddidit." "
So, "goddidit" explains the salmon, and evolution explains the tens of thousands of other fish species that don't "have the pre programed instinct to swim to the ocean to feed and then come back years later to reproduce at the same spot?"
"Goddidit" is such a useless worldview. Consider...

The view of most people at one time was Goddidit.

If everyone had maintained that view, would electricity ever have been studied? Likely not, since Goddidit already answers the question.

Now consider how much of modern technology requires electricity. Just about everything...lights, electric motors, computers, even car ignitions. Minus electricity, and we are pretty much left with the technology of 1800.
mrbananas

Amherst, MA

#96 Dec 3, 2009
goddidit is even worse than saying aliensdidit.
How were the pyramids built? aliensdidit. How did language first start? aliensdidit.
Where did the aliens come from? otheraliensdidit.

Atleast one can come up with a rigid definition of aliens, unlike god is mysterious an unknowable, also he his love and the laws of physics which all boils down to god =?. a ? that loves you.
BloodyViking

Louisville, KY

#97 Dec 3, 2009
Captain A wrote:
<quoted text>
In trusting the Bible, you are putting your faith in Man, not God. If any god worthy of the name wrote the Bible, he would have done a better job. The contradictory orders of creation in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 are just the first of numerous irreconcilable contradictions in the Bible. That leaves us with the inevitable conclusion that the Bible is the work of Men, not gods.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Great white shark Feb 24 Alex 1
Is swimming with dolphins bad for them? (Sep '07) Feb 3 Angie28 21
New Turtle Fin Design for Boats!!!!! Jan '17 TeamTigerTech 1
What is this?! Jan '17 LaraJ21 1
What to do with a jon boat filled with water fo... Dec '16 Michael 1
French Student looking for abroad Marine Biolog... Dec '16 Lucie 1
Fish camouflage Oct '16 gay fish 2
More from around the web