Algae type linked to sick coral

Algae type linked to sick coral

There are 4 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 3, 2008, titled Algae type linked to sick coral. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Corals in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands may be susceptible to disease because of a microscopic partner that was thought to be beneficial, University of Hawaii researchers have found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Paul

De Forest, WI

#1 Aug 3, 2008
Waters around the world are experiencing algae change. Here the toxic blue-green blooms have taken over some lakes for a couple days at a time. Neutriants in the water lead to accelerated growth.
I suspect that the coral that existed with the algae could do so when the neutrian level was lower
Dirty

San Diego, CA

#2 Aug 3, 2008
i think coral is dying because people pee in the water
Stu Pidd

Hilo, HI

#3 Aug 3, 2008
Just a few week ago, junk science environ-mental's were blaming sun tan lotion as harming coral. Maybe they should try banning algae.
Chris

Wilmington, NC

#4 Aug 4, 2008
:shakes head:

Did anyone actually read the piece?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News An ocean of possibilities through co-op May '17 MeanWhile 1
Has Anyone Heard Of GapForce Mar '17 Scubasteve11 1
Black blob creature? Mar '17 Ebaccmbs 1
Great white shark Feb '17 Alex 1
Is swimming with dolphins bad for them? (Sep '07) Feb '17 Angie28 21
New Turtle Fin Design for Boats!!!!! (Jan '17) Jan '17 TeamTigerTech 1
What is this?! (Jan '17) Jan '17 LaraJ21 1
More from around the web