Loud sonar deafens isle dolphin in st...

Loud sonar deafens isle dolphin in study - News

There are 35 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 9, 2009, titled Loud sonar deafens isle dolphin in study - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

University of Hawaii and other scientists are suggesting that sonar used by the military can cause hearing loss in marine mammals, but only when it is extremely loud and close.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Hot Springs, MT

#21 Apr 9, 2009
Good posting HayninAk!
back1

Honolulu, HI

#22 Apr 9, 2009
No wonder the SB is tubing. Check out the difference in the headline between you and the advertiser for the same article!!!
Manapua Belly

AOL

#23 Apr 9, 2009
DUH!!!!!!!!
REAL

United States

#24 Apr 9, 2009
Okay so where's GREENPEACE when you need them.

They need to chase those sonar vessels and block them and shoot water on them!
Manapua Belly

AOL

#25 Apr 10, 2009
The lights on but nobody's home!!!!!!!!
squid

Paris, France

#26 Apr 10, 2009
Squid

United States

#27 Apr 10, 2009
Tsk! Tsk!

Sinking of Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior by 'Frogies'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_R...
Mike

Hot Springs, MT

#28 Apr 10, 2009
We must continue to improve our sonar capabilities.If the Iranians continue to develop their uranium enrichment capabilities and also develop a credible deep water navy they , too, could become a potential threat to international stability.
Mike

Hot Springs, MT

#29 Apr 10, 2009
Thanks Barcelona! And yes it is justifiable red meat for the DIA. Embedded? Not a chance. It's merely free speech and civic as well as cultural responsibility.
Mike

Hot Springs, MT

#30 Apr 10, 2009
I was hoping to hear from Alice on this subject.
haoleboy

Honolulu, HI

#31 Apr 11, 2009
dr. aran mooney is hott

just sayin
ONE test subject

United States

#32 Apr 13, 2009
I am curious, how do you conduct a study of the effects of sonar on marine mammals with just one old test subject? Not very scientific, not very reliable and sounds more like a fudging of data to support a questionable Navy practice. The writer of this article should have also looked at this aspect of his article before writing. This type of reporting only makes a newspaper look less knowledgible on what it reports on.
Mike

Hot Springs, MT

#33 Apr 13, 2009
But One test subject whether it was Shakespeare or Globe level reporting the point was made. The United States needs to be as good as or better than everyone else when it comes to cutting edge military technology. And hopefully always better.

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

#34 Apr 13, 2009
Mike wrote:
I was hoping to hear from Alice on this subject.
It's not worth the effort. She will only post one line excuses of input the she thinks must intrigue the mind of others and there is a demand for her postings. The quality of her postings is that of a 6th grader. You might get a better response if you asked your dog for input. I generally would like to see more alice free zones.
Mike

Hot Springs, MT

#35 Apr 13, 2009
Perhaps an expert could talk about the more nuanced developments in sonar technology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help! What is this bone? Jun 20 gabistapel 1
help wanted! Apr '16 MPS237 3
What is this tooth/tusk? Apr '16 atooth 1
Limpets and drag and lift Apr '16 HeyHey 1
What is this creature? Mar '16 captaincack 1
Strange fish mouth found. Please help identify. Mar '16 Anonymous 1
What is this thing I found? Jan '16 Shi 1
More from around the web